Muck Bucket pond

Alec

If a bigger pump isn't doing it the issue you're running into is either the airstone, placement of the airstone, water level/height of the tube, or your bend. 

Start with using a standard airstone. If that doesn't work, increase the water level with the new stone, if that doesn't work try raising/lowering the airstone in the tube. If none of those work, then you've got an issue with your bend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 9/14/2021 at 10:55 AM, Alec said:

Would making the bubbles finer or larger increases the lift? Or do you know?

Finer bubbles give more lift as long as the total volume of air is the same.  Finer bubbles translates into an overall higher surface area.  Someone much smarter and more patient with figures than I am has done the math and confirmed with real world measurements but it would take me forever to find the study since it was done decades ago.

That being said, if you tighten down a Ziss stone enough, you get too much resistance to air flow and decrease your lift and increase back pressure on your air pump.  Your goal is typically fine, but not superfine bubbles.  Medium or larger bubbles and you lose a little bit of lift, you start to get bubbles combining into larger bubbles and even less lift, plus much more noise.

@Cory also mentions this in one of his videos about sponge filters where he’s talking about adjusting them.

• Thanks 1

@AlecI believe that could be your issue. If you have another piece of pipe I would try that.  That was an issue for me. I had to shape 1 because as the pipe was flattened. Just make sure you get the pipe really flexible. I then had someone hold the pipe at the bottom and I bend the top part until you get the bend over the sides. FYI I used a piece of pipe about 6” longer than I thought I needed that way I could just cut the extra in the bucket off. I think if you go up higher to start the bend it should help. I did the bend in stages. One other thing, what size is the pipe in the bucket? I saw you said 3/4” I was wondering about the inside.

On 9/14/2021 at 5:44 PM, Brandon p said:

@AlecI believe that could be your issue. If you have another piece of pipe I would try that.  That was an issue for me. I had to shape 1 because as the pipe was flattened. Just make sure you get the pipe really flexible. I then had someone hold the pipe at the bottom and I bend the top part until you get the bend over the sides. FYI I used a piece of pipe about 6” longer than I thought I needed that way I could just cut the extra in the bucket off. I think if you go up higher to start the bend it should help. I did the bend in stages. One other thing, what size is the pipe in the bucket? I saw you said 3/4” I was wondering about the inside.

I do have another piece of pipe, but the thing is - I have already glued the joints so I'd have to buy another union. I'm gonna try it with a bigger air pump I have and see what happens. If it still doesn't work, I might need to just get a new union and start over. 

The pipe on the inside is 1in. Like Dean had used. 

• Like 1

I think probably the issue be I would do all thing that are free first then. Have you tried a bigger pump, air stone adjustments, height of water,or  placement of air stone,. If not done those first  do it one thing at a time. You will be able to pinpoint the issue. Update what you checked 

On 9/14/2021 at 5:59 PM, Brandon p said:

I think probably the issue be I would do all thing that are free first then. Have you tried a bigger pump, air stone adjustments, height of water,or  placement of air stone,. If not done those first  do it one thing at a time. You will be able to pinpoint the issue. Update what you checked 

So I when I used the nano USB pump there was no flow. 

I tested with a tetra pump I had laying around and I have a small trickle. 

I have a bigger pump I will try after I adjust the airstone. 

On 9/14/2021 at 6:35 PM, Brandon p said:

Ok.  I mine is on a tetra 60-100. That easily runs the the ponds that I have. The ubs I have doesn’t work. I just put it on Mine and nothing. 

Okay, I assume I'll have the same issue. I'll update when I learn more. 

On 9/14/2021 at 6:35 PM, Brandon p said:

Ok.  I mine is on a tetra 60-100. That easily runs the the ponds that I have. The ubs I have doesn’t work. I just put it on Mine and nothing. 

Okay, so I tried the (what I thought to be a bigger pump) other pump I had and it did nothing. I tried the whisper 10 I had and it gives me a small trickle.  I tried to upload a video of it but it wouldn't allow me too. Here is a picture of it. It is steady. Do you think this is enough?? I think I would still want a bigger pump

16316660987091062655470877844335.jpg

I think it it’s a little low but I think it will work. If you are not happy with it I would still play with the stone postions and/or a bigger pump. You can see in these pictures the difference in we’re my pipe starts to bend. You don’t need a ton of flow. You have a constant flow and the water will take that air from the pond into the bucket. It also depends what you plan to have it in there and how much. Amazon has the 60-100 on sale for just under $12. Tetra Whisper Easy to Use Air Pump for Aquariums (Non-UL) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000A0PYQK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_Q0ZEY2EJVMRGQ9DQZ8WW?psc=1 

6F6C65FE-3EC1-4466-86F9-57FD6E0A588E.jpeg.e62fd4d9693588304313461efa84f6c0.jpeg397263FA-496C-43AE-9DCA-5BB2E2CC9458.jpeg.f54f3d29307034201f2eb170003adb2e.jpeg

• Thanks 1

On 9/14/2021 at 9:07 PM, Brandon p said:

I can’t post video either. I have seen video posted. I wish I could see yours in action. The steam is not going to get a lot bigger. It will mostly just go faster. 

I have taken it down for now, as I want to put some silicone around the joints to ensure no leakage. And when I get a bigger pump I will update on here. Maybe I'll find a way to send ya a video. 

The one thing I'm noticing here per your picture is that this container also seems shallow. It could be the refraction of the image due to the water, but the inlet seems pretty high. If the lift tube doesn't have adequate height you're not going to get the velocity from the air to get the water moving up and out the tube. 

On 9/14/2021 at 9:36 PM, Tihshho said:

The one thing I'm noticing here per your picture is that this container also seems shallow. It could be the refraction of the image due to the water, but the inlet seems pretty high. If the lift tube doesn't have adequate height you're not going to get the velocity from the air to get the water moving up and out the tube. 

On my tub (black tub) the outlet is about an inch from the water surface.

This won’t help with the ponds, but: to upload a video, most of us get a YouTube channel, upload our videos there, and then paste a link here. The link will embed the video into the post. I don’t think there’s a way to directly upload a video to the forum, so many of us have a YouTube channel full of unlisted fish videos 😄 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

On 9/15/2021 at 11:28 AM, Hobbit said:

This won’t help with the ponds, but: to upload a video, most of us get a YouTube channel, upload our videos there, and then paste a link here. The link will embed the video into the post. I don’t think there’s a way to directly upload a video to the forum, so many of us have a YouTube channel full of unlisted fish videos 😄 

@Brandon p I might have to try this to show you mine..