Muck Bucket pond

Alec

I would never question anything Dean does.  You just lower your head and say Yes Master! Next to him IM just a Padiwan.

I have seen this in the video with Dean but I am not sure I understand the principal behind it. I know what it does. Creates flow from top to bottom.....but

Wouldnt a large sponge filter directly in the middle of the bucket accomplish the same thing?  I figure it would create a circular flow from bottom to top on all sides. 

On 9/14/2021 at 7:49 AM, ARMYVET said:

Wouldnt a large sponge filter directly in the middle of the bucket accomplish the same thing?  I figure it would create a circular flow from bottom to top on all sides. 

Yes and no. They both would provide biological and mechanical filtration, but this design does two additional things:

1. Directional flow
  2. Higher flow rate (due to the length of the uplift tube) 

• Like 2

On 9/14/2021 at 10:45 AM, Tihshho said:

Yes and no. They both would provide biological and mechanical filtration, but this design does two additional things:

1. Directional flow
  2. Higher flow rate (due to the length of the uplift tube) 

Thats very understandable.....although now that the coop has the powerhead that attaches to the sponge filters It would be interesting to see how that would work out. 

I have a  regular sponge filter in bottom of mine, it creates a lot of flow. I'm using an old air pump that's at least 2 decades old and has really good output (surprisingly). Haven't tried the USB pump in there yet.

Edited by Griznatch
punctuation
  • Like 1

On 9/14/2021 at 4:49 AM, ARMYVET said:

Haha I was thinking the same. A sponge would be much easier, but this looks so cool! 

• Like 1

On 9/14/2021 at 11:10 AM, Alec said:

I think I'm just gonna have to use a bigger air pump. I just want to make sure there is enough flow. 

Also, try tuning the Ziss airstone since you can control the bubble size by changing the compression on the stone. This might change things for you too with the pump you've got.

• Like 2

On 9/14/2021 at 11:18 AM, Tihshho said:

Also, try tuning the Ziss airstone since you can control the bubble size by changing the compression on the stone. This might change things for you too with the pump you've got.

Would making the bubbles finer or larger increases the lift? Or do you know?

I imagine part of the point of the video was to teach us how to bend PVC, cut holes in the sides of buckets, and make an uplift tube. Lots of useful skills that can be applied elsewhere! Actually it’s one of my favorite videos because of all the skills it taught. 😃

• Like 6

IME you need to find the balance of air flow (rate from the pump) and output size (bubble size.) I'm personally new to the Ziss stone world as I'd always tune through a valve feeding the stone and never had to deal with a tunable stone. In my mind medium (not fine and not air lock large) bubbles would provide the most lift, but you're going to have to experiment. If you have a 'standard' airstone you could also try that to see if the stone setting is your issue.

On 9/14/2021 at 12:13 PM, ARMYVET said:

If all esle fails you can "Tim the Tool Man Taylor" it. 

Get the powerhead attach the outlet to the inlet side of the bulkhead at the bottom and watch it become a fountain......ARR ARRR ARRRR ARRRRRR😆

This would be great on a 40-100 gallon tote!

• Like 1

I made 2 last month. I found that the bend at the top of the bucket has to be almost a U with smaller air pumps. I also found that ubs worked for me to an extent. It’s some hot here now I like to have extra flow. Last water level in the bucket makes a huge difference. There is a point were it doesn’t work to working great. I made two the exact same. And the spot is different. I think it’s the bend of the pipe and/or the setting of the ziss air stone. One last thing does the pipe at the bend area get flattened at all?

F5282E5F-0BA8-4CC6-8EC3-6D7E7073BA7A.jpeg

Edited by Brandon p
  • Thanks 2