BBQ

ChemBob

I love BBQ, when I lived in eastern NC I loved a pig picking’ and I’ve driven way out of my way to try pulled pork all over North and South Carolina, Pibil in Mexico, Kalua in Hawaii and Lechon in Guavete Puerto Rico (possibly the pork bbq capitol). Over time I realized I’m more of a Beef fan. I love Texas Brisket, Santa Maria tri tip, New York Pastrami, Korean Short Ribs! 

• Like 1

On 9/4/2021 at 10:16 AM, Patrick_G said:

I love BBQ, when I lived in eastern NC I loved a pig picking’ and I’ve driven way out of my way to try pulled pork all over North and South Carolina, Pibil in Mexico, Kalua in Hawaii and Lechon in Guavete Puerto Rico (possibly the pork bbq capitol). Over time I realized I’m more of a Beef fan. I love Texas Brisket, Santa Maria tri tip, New York Pastrami, Korean Short Ribs! 

Tri-Tip is something I want to give a try!  I've seen some videos of people making some seriously good stuff with it. 

Edited by GameCzar
video link
  • Like 2

Haven't done tri tip. I'll have to look it up. I typically do brisket or a pork butt. I've done chicken a few times. I will often throw some form of sausage on as lunch as well. Being in Louisiana, it's usually a local cajun sausage, but I've done Italian sausage and bratwurst as well. 

• Like 1

On 9/4/2021 at 2:05 PM, ChemBob said:

It's an offset stick burner made by Old Country BBQ Pits. I got it at Academy. I believe I got the Pecos model, but I can't say that with 100% certainty. 

Nice, it looks heavy duty. I tried a few different pits before getting a basic Weber one touch. This was 2002 and it’s still going strong. They’re sort of the sponge filters of the bbq world, simple, cheap and effective. 

• Like 1

On 9/4/2021 at 4:50 PM, ChemBob said:

Boudin is off. Brisket has another hour or so, at 172.

20210904_174508.jpg

20210904_174653.jpg

I wish we could buy some good sausages around here, in Utah you buy a hotdog or Johnsonville 🙄. We are not adventurous eaters.

• Haha 1

I love some good BBQ. I worked for twenty plus years in restaurant business as a chef and never did much with BBQ other than broiling, but lately I have really gotten into BBQ and smoking. I bought a pit barrel cooker, its a drum smoker and have been playing around with it trying different meats, and man is it a rib machine. I have made some of the best ribs I have ever had in it. I am going to do a tri-tip this next weekend, after seeing the video that someone shared above by Kent Rollins. 

• Like 2

On 9/7/2021 at 5:58 AM, Andy's Fish Den said:

am going to do a tri-tip this next weekend, after seeing the video that someone shared above by Kent Rollins. 

It looks pretty authentic! I’d go for just red oak and if you’re really into doing it central coast style and you have an adjustable grate cook right over the red oak coals. It’s a challenge but really fun. A brisket point is a bit easier if you want to ease into beef bbq with indirect heat. 

blah blah blah sorry I could talk cooking and bbq all day long! 

• Like 1

As one or two others mentioned here, I'm also from Texas and love barbecue.  I also have strong opinions about it.

The first one is that if you're cooking with a fire box, and the meat in another chamber, that's fine, but that's not barbecue.  It's smoked meat.  Barbecue is cooked directly over coals.  It gets flavor from the smoke without being overwhelmed by it.

The second one, which some might consider sacrilege, is that while I like barbecued brisket just fine, when it comes to barbecue you just can't beat pork.  And I mean a Boston butt that's sliced like you slice brisket, not "pulled" pork.

• Like 1