BBQ

ChemBob

I’m interested in all the traditional wood fire cooking and methods. Japanese Yakitori over crazy expensive oak charcoal, Hawaiian Kailua Pig in a leaf lined pit, Argentine Asado cooked directly over hot coals, Pit Pibil Pig in the Yucatán, tandoori meat in from India,  Pacific Northwest Alder smoked Salmon.  And of course a whole hog pig pickin’ in Eastern North Carolina. The list goes on but it’ll all fun to cook and eat! 

• Like 1

On 9/7/2021 at 7:19 AM, JettsPapa said:

The second one, which some might consider sacrilege, is that while I like barbecued brisket just fine, when it comes to barbecue you just can't beat pork.  And I mean a Boston butt that's sliced like you slice brisket, not "pulled" pork.

Haha, I actually lived in Eastern North Carolina and still have fam in NC. Pig Pickins were a regular community event. I still love a good pig bbq, but the first time I had a well cooked Texas brisket I was hooked! My family and friends in NC definitely consider this sacrilege! 

• Like 2

On 9/8/2021 at 6:00 PM, Tihshho said:

For those of you with a smoker, if you have not yet you need to do a smoked turkey for Thanksgiving.

That's how I grew up having Thanksgiving.  Didn't even know you could cook a turkey in the oven until I moved to the Midwest.  Too cold here by that time of year to use my Weber smoker.  I think I'd need something insulated like a Green Egg.  

Edited by OnlyGenusCaps
Thought I caught something. Didn't. Too early.

On 9/8/2021 at 5:55 PM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

And salad.  😁

I assume you left out a word.  You meant potato salad, right?  I never heard of putting lettuce on the same plate with barbecue.

That reminds me of years ago when I was watching one of the network morning news shows.  They had a guest doing a demonstration about making chili.  At some point pasta was involved, and one of the hosts said "Right now there are people in Texas saying "I don't know what this is, but it ain't chili."

(I mentioned above that I have strong opinions about barbecue.  I have some about chili too.)

Edited by JettsPapa

On 9/9/2021 at 7:40 AM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

That's how I grew up having Thanksgiving.  Didn't even know you could cook a turkey in the oven until I moved to the Midwest.  Too cold here by that time of year to use my Weber smoker.  I think I'd need something insulated like a Green Egg.  

I still do it here and I'm in the Mid Atlantic. It's the only way I can deal with Thanksgiving, haha. 

• Haha 1

On 9/9/2021 at 7:49 AM, JettsPapa said:

I assume you left out a word.  You meant potato salad, right?  I never heard of putting lettuce on the same plate with barbecue.

Nope.  Central California BBQ.  The real stuff.  Texas and the Carolinas can fight all day about whatever it is they think they are making.  But those of us from the Coast are happy to sit back and enjoy the good stuff.  😁

On 9/9/2021 at 9:21 AM, lefty o said:

so tofu,

I didn't say Hollywood barbecue.  😛

This is barbecue that represents that land.  It's old California not new "Cali" - a term we never used that drives me nuts!  The cows graze in the hills.  The beans, lettuce (or escarole in my case - as that was what the closest ranch grew), and strawberries or grapes grew on the ranches.  The fresh stuff was often brought in right from the fields, whatever was available and close.  At one time, the wheat for that grilled bread came from the Valley (the first industrial agriculture in what is now the heartland of produce production in America).  It's a legacy of what the vaqueros cooked and the ranchers grew, which everyone now enjoys.  Started in Santa Maria, but has expanded across the region.  And it'll always be the real barbecue to me. 

The hills in the central coast area are so beautiful! It’s like being in a living Iwagumi aquascape. The legend of central coast bbq is pretty interesting. The Spanish cowboys  raised the cattle for the hide trade, not the meat trade so they had access to all the free beef they could eat hence the bbq style using the prime sirloin instead of the cheaper cuts like brisket.

• Like 1

On 9/9/2021 at 11:59 AM, Patrick_G said:

Baltimore pit beef!

There are some goo versions of that for sure.  I lived in Maryland for a few years, and my recollection is that at a good place, it's good.  But, if I am recalling correctly, it tends to be from fairly lean cuts and on higher heat, so I remember bad places being pretty dry and tough.  Maybe I just didn't have the best luck with it all the time.  🤪

On 9/9/2021 at 1:23 PM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

There are some goo versions of that for sure.  I lived in Maryland for a few years, and my recollection is that at a good place, it's good.  But, if I am recalling correctly, it tends to be from fairly lean cuts and on higher heat, so I remember bad places being pretty dry and tough.  Maybe I just didn't have the best luck with it all the time.  🤪

As a Marylander, I can say when it comes to MD cuisine where you go is key. There are copies of everything and some places cut corners for cost and others just do it because it's their take on the original. Going to a place that has been doing it for decades and has a worn character to the place is where you find the original.

• Like 2