Science Fiction

Streetwise

I've been reading and enjoying science fiction for over 40 years.  My favorite author has changed as I've aged, but right now it's without a doubt David Weber.  His hard SF is very good, and his fantasy series is also enjoyable.  It's unusual for a male author, but many of his main characters are female, including his most popular series.

Most of John Ringo's SF is very good (I like all his stuff except his Kildar series, but it's not SF anyway).

For short stories Arthur C. Clarke is still good.

Some of the stuff that others really enjoy I don't care for.  I never got into Ray Bradbury's stuff, and didn't care for Ender's Game at all.  Robert Heinlein wrote a lot of good stuff, but kinda went off the rails with his later work.

• Like 3

On 8/2/2021 at 12:00 PM, Guppysnail said:

Someone other than me watched this 😍

There is something about quirky British sitcoms that I've always liked.  The intro featuring Lister wearing a spacesuit, painting the outside of Red Dwarf with a paint roller, has always been my favorite scene.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• 6 months later...

I am going to revive this thread with a couple of silly coincidental observations. Any Weir wrote The Martian, and the protagonist is Mark Watney, which rhymes with Botany, at least with my accent.

His novel Project Hail Mary features Ryland Grace, which rhymes with space.

His Artemis novel has Jasmine "Jazz" Bashara, which probably has moon-related wordplay.

Those books have also been optioned for film!

I have enjoyed a lot of science fiction since my last post. The Expanse came to a great TV finish. If they revive it, the following books are all after a time jump of many years. The authors have even told readers to not pester Amazon about it. They can let the cast age-up, and then continue years from now.

When I need motivation for my planted tanks, I watch The Martian!

• Like 2

Missed this thread back when somehow. Thanks for picking it back up.

I greatly enjoyed reading from Fred Saberhagen’s Berserker series. Wonderful theme that may have inspired the Borg concept. Alien-made AI machines travel through the universe to stamp out all life. Cool how all of life fights back. 

I also love some of Orson Scott Card’s writing. His short stories, “Maps In A Mirror” have true gems. Of course the Ender Trilogy.

• Like 1

Missed this thread too.

Currently enjoying Raised by Wolves. Loved The Expanse and Foundation. For a lighter note Resident Alien is pretty good.

Also grew up with the classics such as Dr Who, Red Dwarf, Star Trek and Sapphire &Steel. Ooo and G-force (battle of planets edited for children).

Edited by Flumpweesel
Added more words
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/14/2022 at 6:55 PM, Streetwise said:

Any Weir wrote The Martian, and the protagonist is Mark Watney, which rhymes with Botany, at least with my accent.

His Artemis novel has Jasmine "Jazz" Bashara, which probably has moon-related wordplay.

I haven't read The Martian yet, but his other 2 have been some of my favorites so far this year. I'll probably end up grabbing The Martian in the next few months.

A few other favorites that haven't been mentioned yet are The Themis Files by Sylvain Neuvel and Six Wakes by Mur Lafferty.

• Like 1

On 2/14/2022 at 6:55 PM, Streetwise said:

I am going to revive this thread with a couple of silly coincidental observations. Any Weir wrote The Martian, and the protagonist is Mark Watney, which rhymes with Botany, at least with my accent.

Those books have also been optioned for film!

I have enjoyed a lot of science fiction since my last post. The Expanse came to a great TV finish. If they revive it, the following books are all after a time jump of many years. The authors have even told readers to not pester Amazon about it. They can let the cast age-up, and then continue years from now.

When I need motivation for my planted tanks, I watch The Martian!

I had never read any of his work, or seen the movie, but at my daughter's recommendation I read Artemis recently.  It's definitely different from other stuff I've read, but I enjoyed it.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I have a story about reading the expanse series, my memory loss and a mystery solved. 

The Expanse series was made into a tv show. I knew about it and several friends recommended it. I though I would get around to it eventually but I had read the books, and thought they were “meh” at best.  Last month I decided I would reread the series before starting the show. About two chapters into the first book I started to get very confused. I couldn't figure out why the book seemed different, from when I’d read it in 2019. After a few more chapters I though I was going crazy, did I actually read this? Was my memory going? I decided to go back over my Kindle history to make sure. It turns out I had read a low budget pulp space opera series that “borrowed” lots of plot an terminology from the actual series 😆. Mystery solved and I've now finished the smart and very well written Expanse series! Im a huge fan and I’m ready to watch the show now. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 6/27/2022 at 10:56 AM, Patrick_G said:

I have a story about reading the expanse series, my memory loss and a mystery solved. 

The Expanse series was made into a tv show. I knew about it and several friends recommended it. I though I would get around to it eventually but I had read the books, and thought they were “meh” at best.  Last month I decided I would reread the series before starting the show. About two chapters into the first book I started to get very confused. I couldn't figure out why the book seemed different, from when I’d read it in 2019. After a few more chapters I though I was going crazy, did I actually read this? Was my memory going? I decided to go back over my Kindle history to make sure. It turns out I had read a low budget pulp space opera series that “borrowed” lots of plot an terminology from the actual series 😆. Mystery solved and I've now finished the smart and very well written Expanse series! Im a huge fan and I’m ready to watch the show now. 

Halfway through your thread I was getting ready to discuss Daniel Abraham's style, and ran into your plot twist. I don't know what to do now, lol.

• Haha 2

On 7/1/2022 at 9:07 PM, BrettD said:

Halfway through your thread I was getting ready to discuss Daniel Abraham's style, and ran into your plot twist. I don't know what to do now, lol.

I honestly thought I was having cognition issues. I fully remembered a ship and crew and belters and a young women who’s father was a corporate baron. All of which are in this other lame rip off space opera I had read. 😆

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I started rewatching it about a year or so ago but didn't get far. Can't remember why I stopped, probably got busy. So, a new series at Amazon huh? They did great with The Expanse, if they can do similar with Stargate it will be awesome. 

• Like 2

Hold up, did you somehow magically take replies( you two talking about stargate) from my post and make a new post?! I never knew such a power existed...wild.

Also Stargate has always been a huge part of my life. I remember the original movie like a fever dream. 

I watched and loved all the movies and both SG1 and Atlantis.

I did not watch SGU though. I never got into the drama of the rebooted Battlestar Galactica and all I saw was comparisons of the two. So it didn't appeal to me. 

• Like 2

On 12/28/2022 at 3:31 PM, A3M0N said:

They did great with The Expanse

I know the books change completely but I wish that the show would come back to wrap up that new alien subplot...

Stargate was good too. Like Dr Who mixed with a bit of X-Files and wrapped in (slightly propaganda-y) US Military

• Like 1