Science Fiction

Streetwise

I won't pay for cable, or streaming, so I didn't realize how far behind I was on all of this.  Long ago Firefly was good, and abruptly cancelled.  Seeing an episode on Comet last month, I'm not sure why I ever liked it.  SG1 as we already know will return to Comet this week, and eventually be replaced by SG Atlantis.  Somehow I've never seen SGU.  Similarly, I've always been a fan of the Original Dr. Who series, and never seen any of the new versions.  If The Expanse is still on Prime tonight I might check it out.

On 1/2/2023 at 9:49 PM, Tanked said:

Similarly, I've always been a fan of the Original Dr. Who series,

In my opinion New Dr who starts well but then the writers get tired and it suffers if I remember correctly your more or less ok  up to the end of Matt Smith. They are trying to reinvigorate it this year but I think the fan base trust has been lost. I loved Dr as kid and we all enjoy the old stuff.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2023 at 1:49 PM, Tanked said:

If The Expanse is still on Prime tonight I might check it out.

Definitely check it out if you're into sci-fi. It's a hard sci-fi so more or less everything obeys the laws of physics (with a few hand wavey "super advanced technology" type things). For example, most of the ships use constant acceleration to generate artificial gravity.

• Like 2

On 1/2/2023 at 5:09 PM, Flumpweesel said:

In my opinion New Dr who starts well but then the writers get tired and it suffers if I remember correctly your more or less ok  up to the end of Matt Smith. They are trying to reinvigorate it this year but I think the fan base trust has been lost. I loved Dr as kid and we all enjoy the old stuff.

I agree, the 5-8th seasons with Matt Smith and Karen Gillan were great, but the David Tennant seasons were pretty good too. My daughter used to race home from school so we could watch it together, but we lost interest after Matt Smith left. 

• Like 2

On 1/2/2023 at 9:28 PM, Schuyler said:

Definitely check it out if you're into sci-fi. It's a hard sci-fi so more or less everything obeys the laws of physics (with a few hand wavey "super advanced technology" type things). For example, most of the ships use constant acceleration to generate artificial gravity.

I'm several episodes into it now, and it all makes sense except for "137 years ago..."  I'm guessing it is referencing the origin of constant acceleration.  I guess I'll have to rewatch season 1 to see what I missed.

On 1/2/2023 at 8:09 PM, Flumpweesel said:

As a young person I would try to be home from the bars by midnight, in time to see Dr. Who.  I liked how they could make a few blinking lights and a toilet plunger look like advanced technology.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/2/2023 at 3:49 PM, Tanked said:

Long ago Firefly was good, and abruptly cancelled.  Seeing an episode on Comet last month, I'm not sure why I ever liked it. 

I love Firefly! But I really hope it doesn't get rebooted, there's been rumor of one. 

• Like 1

On 1/17/2023 at 12:14 AM, A3M0N said:

I love Firefly! But I really hope it doesn't get rebooted, there's been rumor of one. 

I only remember that I was starting to get into it, and then it was gone.  It seems that most reboots lose something or the story line is stretched to the point where it snaps or is painfully predictable.

• 1 month later...

Well, some time has passed.  Comet ran a Firefly marathon, and while I can't say I love it, I'm definitely interested.  I do love The Expanse even if it was a little hard to keep track of who was on which side. This is the third or fourth go round for SG-1, and interest is waning.  I haven't gotten a chance to watch SGU yet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...