Science Fiction

Streetwise

I don’t watch tv but I read voraciously.  My favorite sci fi is Vernon Vinge across real-time series. 
The peace war, Marooned in realtime, Across realtime 

my favorite sci-fi/fantasy read is Robert Silverbergs New springtime series and his Majipoor chronicles 

I have however watched all the alien movies (several times). Some things are just worth watching again and again 😉

• Like 5

The TV series Fringe is pretty fun!  I binged that one a few summers ago.  Kinda reminds me of a more humor-driven X-Files.

I tried to read Dune earlier this year and got too tangled up in the characters and gave it up...I'll be interested to watch the reboot movie!

• Like 3

On 7/30/2021 at 7:25 PM, CalmedByFish said:

I love Star Trek, particularly Voyager. I really relate to the character of Janeway, as if she's who I would turn out to be in very different life circumstances.

The catch with sci-fi is that it easily leads to nightmares, so that limits what I watch.

Captain Janeway was well-qualified for that journey. She also loved side-quests!

• Like 1

I love the Orville, although it's been a few years since I've watched it since it moved to Hulu (Still really excited for the new season). Star Trek is great as well! My favourite series being Deep Space Nine with O'Brien or Sisko being my best liked characters. (The Defiant looks kind of derpy a lot of the time and I love it for that lol) Lower Decks is hilarious as well, Picard started off the season pretty slow, but got really interesting towards the end can't wait for their next seasons! 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 8/1/2021 at 8:22 PM, FlyingFishKeeper said:

I love the Orville, although it's been a few years since I've watched it since it moved to Hulu (Still really excited for the new season). Star Trek is great as well! My favourite series being Deep Space Nine with O'Brien or Sisko being my best liked characters. (The Defiant looks kind of derpy a lot of the time and I love it for that lol) Lower Decks is hilarious as well, Picard started off the season pretty slow, but got really interesting towards the end can't wait for their next seasons! 

The Orville is great!

• Like 2

On 8/1/2021 at 8:49 PM, Patrick_G said:

The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy is the SF book for aquarium nerms because of the quote “Don’t panic and carry a towel” and “If you want to survive out there you have to know where your towel is” 

• Haha 2
  • Love 1

On 8/1/2021 at 9:49 PM, Patrick_G said:

The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy is the SF book for aquarium nerms because of the quote “Don’t panic and carry a towel” and “If you want to survive out there you have to know where your towel is” 

So long and thanks for all the fish!

I have read that series so many times. It’s awesome!

• Like 2

I've been watching a lot of the old b/w sci-fi. and monster movies in part because they are so bad, and its interesting to see what passed for science almost a century ago.  The Red Dwarf and the original Dr. Who series were pretty good until you've seen them a half dozen times.  Anything in the Star Trek genre beyond the original series is good.  As our technology gets better the special effects get better but the story lines have not kept up. 

Least favorite series:  The Orville.  It was not renewed in my area so if it got better, I missed it.

Least favorite Movie: Solaris.  It literally put me to sleep.

• Like 1