Just Snail Pics....

• 2 weeks later...

So I always thought the Sera O Nip tabs were so cool and neat to watch fish eat from the glass. I know there's a learning curve.... So today I tried it in my two 20gallon tanks today. Black Neons and Harlequins in either tank. The Harlequins never got a clue. The Neons sorta did. Eventually the tabs fell of the glass when I wasn't looking. Now......well....it's all snail food.....

Resized_20210730_185633.jpg

Resized_20210730_190846.jpg

Resized_20210730_191026.jpg

• Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

@xXInkedPhoenixXi thought you would enjoy seeing this. This baby has spent two days sitting like it is in a recliner holding this leaf. Yesterday scared me. Although I could see it cute little snoot I gently rolled it forward thinking it might be stuck ?..??  It promptly rolled back. This morning I looked and OMG the growth. The white is just in 2 days. They grow quick but I’ve never seen them grow that quick. BTW your girl is still in my thoughts. 

32D4BD2D-BEB5-4060-B5B6-184E11F0CA72.jpeg

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 1

@Guppysnail Wow!!! I haven't seen than on my baby snail that's crazy, no wonder the little thing was reclining! Thank you so much for sharing that- amazing!! Gosh that's a beautiful snail. 

My poor little Glimmer is still with me but no better than she has been. She's still eating. Last night when I got home from work her breeder/convalescent home had sank likely due to her Snail friends on the box. I retrieved the box and her in the dark and set her back up. I just woke up and checked here- and since you asked went to take a pic of her. Oh my gosh what did I see? Immaculate, Glimmer's baby (and the only baby) in the box with her- which is NOT an easy feat without sinking the box trust me. And people try to convince us that animals don't know/feel things....

Resized_20210809_111157.jpg

Resized_20210809_111035.jpg

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Like 1

Poor girl. YES snails are amazingly empathetic and social. I kept one alone who was active and fun in the community tank and in the temporary tank I just wanted plant clean up total inactive and ate less I kid you not 10 minutes after sitting his BFF in with him he was back to his old self and chowing down!  

• Love 1

On 8/9/2021 at 2:13 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

@Guppysnail Wow!!! I haven't seen than on my baby snail that's crazy, no wonder the little thing was reclining! Thank you so much for sharing that- amazing!! Gosh that's a beautiful snail. 

My poor little Glimmer is still with me but no better than she has been. She's still eating. Last night when I got home from work her breeder/convalescent home had sank likely due to her Snail friends on the box. I retrieved the box and her in the dark and set her back up. I just woke up and checked here- and since you asked went to take a pic of her. Oh my gosh what did I see? Immaculate, Glimmer's baby (and the only baby) in the box with her- which is NOT an easy feat without sinking the box trust me. And people try to convince us that animals don't know/feel things....

Resized_20210809_111157.jpg

Resized_20210809_111035.jpg

I hope she gets well. Poor snail. I love these little creatures, they're so fun and lively 😞 

• Thanks 1

@Guppysnail is in the know but to put it on the forum, one of my 4 Mystery snails, Glimmer, who has been in my tanks (first a QT but majority of time in what I call my parent tank because it's the original) for just over 6 months has been in decline in the last week. She became less active and seemed to struggle. They are all in a 20 gallon tall and even as big as they are it's a trek to the top for air. So I decided to put her in my small floating breeder, even that seemed too tall for her. I improvised a stand- a spice jar lid, a small melamine prep bowl and a tiny sauce bowl- all working together to be able to contain some food (which is the debris you see in the pic, and keep her close to the surface so she can put her siphon up when she so desires. I've only caught her out of the bowl a couple of times inside the breeder- but it looked mostly like she fell not so much like she wanted to be there. To me proof that she's not feeling well- otherwise she'd have escaped. 

Anyhow, the box floats pretty close to the glass lid so it's not an easy thing to get in or out of. I've caught the box sunk likely by friendly snail battleships and have had to refloat the box- this was not likely due to Glimmer since her energy level is low- more likely her outside friends. Yesterday I caught her baby (the ONLY baby that's ever been born in my tank becauuse I remove clutches) Immaculate, in her breeder box. I removed Immaculate yesterday. This morning, Immaculate is back inside the box. Also, her other female companion and my oldest Mystery, Escape' (11mos 20 days in my tanks) is sitting on the outside of the box and it seems clear to me that she and Glimmer are having a jailhouse-esque visit. 

I love my animals. 💛

Resized_20210810_073140.jpg

Resized_20210810_085244.jpg

Resized_20210810_085412.jpg

Resized_20210805_132251.jpg

• Love 2

I officially saw both my assassins today. The first one came as a free plant hitchhiker when I first set up my tank, but I never saw him after that.

I got the second to keep my other pond snail hitchhikers from going too crazy. She seems to be much more outgoing. I picked her out while she was crawling on a java fern at the lfs.

I'm assuming they're different genders because one has been laying eggs around the tank, which I'm guessing is the slightly larger more outgoing one. In any case I'm glad they are both still hanging out in there.

I couldn't get a picture of the presumed male because he was half buried in the substrate under some moss, but he was moving while the female was chilling nearby

• Like 1