Just Snail Pics....

On 8/12/2021 at 12:41 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

@Solstice_Lacer How long did the presumed male hide from you/how long have you had them? What size tank do you have them in? Do you find they're doing a good job on keeping the bladder snail population down?

He hitchhiked on my first plants from the lfs, and I have maybe seen him twice in 6 weeks. I got her about a month ago and see her pretty often.

They're in a decently planted 29 gallon and seem to do a solid job controlling the bladder snails. They are not completely wiped out but they're not all over the place, and I like having some around.

• Like 2

On 8/13/2021 at 4:57 AM, Guppysnail said:

Got distracted by new baby fish and forgot to close the top on my other tank. The trail extends over to the air pump on the floor it just didn’t show on the picture.  She is fine and back home thank goodness. 

Good to know she is alright. 🙂

As much as I adore Mystery snails I decided not to keep them any longer for their own safety. I have lids in all of my tanks and they would still find a way out. I will wake up in the middle of the night with a "plonk" sound from the snail hitting the floor, and had to go on a rescue mission. When they died of old age, I just did not replace them.

• Sad 1

I am so proud I could cry!  I didn’t know where to put this so I put it here for my fellow snail lovers because I just have to shout this at the top of my lungs. My LFS had set up a 40breeder for plants. Last month he put my virgin girl guppies in there because he liked them and decided to keep them as store pets. Yesterday I dropped off my boy guppies and in the plant tank were my baby snails I gave him a week ago. BIG SIGN …snails in this tank are not for sale OWNERS PETS!! I was so proud. He came over and said he never seen such active shiny mystery snails and he enjoyed them too much to part with them.  I didn’t have my phone to take pics but I will next time. Snaily grandma is proud of her babies!😁😁😁😁

• Like 1
  • Love 4

On 8/20/2021 at 11:04 PM, PineSong said:

I love ramshorns, but I've never had one--are there any downsides?

The "Pest" snail ramshorns are pretty and they stay small, but some people don't like that they reproduce readily. I don't mind. I love the little guys.

My big guy, the Colombian Giant Ramshorn, supposedly might munch on plants in a planted tank... but to be real, I haven't seen him eat anything that's healthy. He IS voracious, though, so make sure you give the big guys something to eat daily. Cooper books it to any food I drop into the tank.

So as I've mentioned on this thread previously one of my Mystery Snails, Glimmer, has declined in activity, her shell isn't in the best of shape but doesn't show other outward signs of illness other than lethargy. She's in a 20 gal tall and I decline to put her in another tank- at least for now (I may put her in my 3 gallon when my Betta vacates it but it will be with her offspring Immaculate so she's not alone and they seem very attached as you will see by the pics I will post). Anyhow, I had her in a floating breeder- which has been sunk several times by well meaning Snail friends. Last night I came home to the same situation and Glimmer was off somewhere I could not retrieve her. Today she seemed to be happily trolling the aponogeton in the tank- albeit slowly. What I decided to do was try and make platforms of some kind that my snail friends healthy and ill could have as rest stops since though Mystery Snails are big, it's still a trek to the top for air and/or a rest. What I ended up rigging were veggie clips, and lightweight plastic cups that I got when I'd buy the refrigerated cinnamon rolls (always thought they would come in handy so I kept them even before I had tanks- I was previously using to scoop water for weekly water tests- I also keep scoops from powdered drinks and supplements for this purpose). I'm able to put them cup side up and leave a couple of snail snacks inside. These are going to be great mess containers too, all I will have to do is either take them out or turkey baster them out. Thought I'd pass it along to my fish friends. 

Resized_20210820_205458.jpg

Resized_20210820_205610.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 1

On 8/21/2021 at 12:15 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

So as I've mentioned on this thread previously one of my Mystery Snails, Glimmer, has declined in activity, her shell isn't in the best of shape but doesn't show other outward signs of illness other than lethargy. She's in a 20 gal tall and I decline to put her in another tank- at least for now (I may put her in my 3 gallon when my Betta vacates it but it will be with her offspring Immaculate so she's not alone and they seem very attached as you will see by the pics I will post). Anyhow, I had her in a floating breeder- which has been sunk several times by well meaning Snail friends. Last night I came home to the same situation and Glimmer was off somewhere I could not retrieve her. Today she seemed to be happily trolling the aponogeton in the tank- albeit slowly. What I decided to do was try and make platforms of some kind that my snail friends healthy and ill could have as rest stops since though Mystery Snails are big, it's still a trek to the top for air and/or a rest. What I ended up rigging were veggie clips, and lightweight plastic cups that I got when I'd buy the refrigerated cinnamon rolls (always thought they would come in handy so I kept them even before I had tanks- I was previously using to scoop water for weekly water tests- I also keep scoops from powdered drinks and supplements for this purpose). I'm able to put them cup side up and leave a couple of snail snacks inside. These are going to be great mess containers too, all I will have to do is either take them out or turkey baster them out. Thought I'd pass it along to my fish friends. 

Resized_20210820_205458.jpg

Resized_20210820_205610.jpg

This is so amazingly creative. I’m glad you choose not to segregate her by herself.  A lot of folks do not realize how social snails are. Many things I have read on the internet say it is ok to keep them alone which is so very sad. Glimmer is so very lucky to have a fish mom that loves her enough to do this for her 🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰

@Guppysnail thank you. Anyone who has any observation skills and has kept them should be able to clearly see how social they really are. When Glimmer was in the "hospital box" her offspring Immaculate was constantly finding their way into the box (gender really still unknown). My other snails would frequently be near the box. Immaculate was likely the sinking culprit- and maybe to their detriment as there is some shell damage that wasn't there before (long way to fall in a 20 gallon tall- hey that rhymes). Plus I didn't want any other inhabitants to become injured. This was just my compromise. The snails are actively using them. Last night I caught one in the cup and was still there when I got up 8 hours later. Glimmer was only nearby but it was good to see her out and about. 

Resized_20210821_185443.jpg

Resized_20210821_184222.jpg

• Love 1

• 1 month later...

@Guppysnail Some of them are genuinely prolific eaters so that doesn't surprise me. I honestly hadn't seen BFG in more than a week- I thought maybe he'd passed away in there so I went to get a couple of Nerites and a day later he shows up!! They've got plenty to do to clean the tank- but if I ran out of food I supplement with snail snacks or other food as I'm sure you do. My horned Nerites love cucumber- nobody else seems interested. I've got some picky-$$$ snails. 3 Nerites is a lot for what is essentially a 7 gallon tank but I could move one if needed. They always seem to find something though. 

• Like 1

On 9/30/2021 at 7:18 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

@Guppysnail Some of them are genuinely prolific eaters so that doesn't surprise me. I honestly hadn't seen BFG in more than a week- I thought maybe he'd passed away in there so I went to get a couple of Nerites and a day later he shows up!! They've got plenty to do to clean the tank- but if I ran out of food I supplement with snail snacks or other food as I'm sure you do. My horned Nerites love cucumber- nobody else seems interested. I've got some picky-$$$ snails. 3 Nerites is a lot for what is essentially a 7 gallon tank but I could move one if needed. They always seem to find something though. 

Nemo goes MIA for a week or two at a time. I suspect alien abductions but they return him when they find out how much he eats 🤣. I have to look for his chew tracks to be sure he is ok. 

• Haha 1

@Guppysnail That's hilarious and very possibly true! In my case I think BFG is just a little lazy the tank he's in is a bit out of control. Though I know snails can take long naps from time to time I had no idea where he was hiding for a week without my seeing him- glad he's still around though. His new friends have been making up for lost time and I've caught him hanging around with them so maybe he was depressed. 😉 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Like 1