Just Snail Pics....

I am so happy with my thorned/spiked Nerites in my "Angry Man" tank that I had to get some for my "Parent Tank". Unfortunately my LFS hasn't had any so I ended up ordering some online. I got a pack of 5, they shipped me 9, unfortunately it seems only 4 are going to make it (jury still out on one of them they were placed on a watch). I probably won't do that again- maybe I'll just ask my LFS to get them for me if they can as I'd like to have a few more for other tanks.

THAT being said they are so tiny (they stay small anyway but these are babies). Today my Mystery snail Immaculate was trolling the glass with one of the newbies. I've named them after the Penguins in the Madagascar movies but they're impossible to tell apart (like penguins) so I'm not sure if this is Skipper, Kowalski, Private or Rico. #5 who is on watch is Classified- hopefully they're just napping. Update: @Guppysnail unfortunately Classified didn't make it. I also lost another one. Too small and too much change for them I suspect in a short amount of time. 😞 

Resized_20211211_172531.jpg

Resized_20211211_172307.jpg

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
to tag/update
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/6/2022 at 7:28 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

@Solstice_Lacer that's so cool! Only my Bladders really do that so it's neat to see a Ramshorn having fun. My Mysteries surf a little but I don't think my Nerites do any of that. 

All my snails will do that if they decide I'm not feeding enough (except the nerites).

I've had big ol' pond snails, bladder snails, ramshorns and one Malaysia trumpet snail who didn't read the memo that they are supposed to be nocturnal "surface skim" almost every time I feed the Bug Bites color enhancing flake food. Lots of betta carotenoids in there, and the snails love it!

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

My son got 2 Mystery snails for his tank a few months ago. We ended up with a male and a female. My son named them Chip and Dale before we knew their gender (after the chipmunks). They loved crawling all over the castle, but would often get stuck inside and would try to squeeze out the little windows. 

IMG_0431.JPG.58cd9bdc8305a60f73c6b013bf0ce1a8.JPG

They've grown a lot and I'm thinking I need to increase their calcium with how rough their shells are looking. I've also been told you should have 4 females to 1 male to give the females a break. :classic_wacko: I may have to separate them as I've been told the males will damage the females shell if they are too active (is daily considered active? :classic_laugh:) and that might be happening to her.

72426308_IMG_15144.JPG.b418f009c71a98f56a8d538136316ce8.JPG

I also have 3 Nerites in my Betta tank Hoover (male), Kirby (female), and Rumba (unknown gender, zebra). I think they like to taunt "Cosmo" the Betta, but I doubt they even know of his existence, despite him flaring and showing off to them.

IMG_1685.JPG.18d986ac0233a84f680a6d3c9259a881.JPG

They just do their thing. Hoover likes to plow through the good stuff:

IMG_0808.jpg.b614d79ddfb26e54b8f36b3241399200.jpg

I'll be honest, at first, I didn't like snails -- but they've grown on me and I adore my Nerites!

• Love 2

On 3/30/2022 at 5:02 PM, AndreaW said:

My son got 2 Mystery snails for his tank a few months ago. We ended up with a male and a female. My son named them Chip and Dale before we knew their gender (after the chipmunks). They loved crawling all over the castle, but would often get stuck inside and would try to squeeze out the little windows. 

IMG_0431.JPG.58cd9bdc8305a60f73c6b013bf0ce1a8.JPG

They've grown a lot and I'm thinking I need to increase their calcium with how rough their shells are looking. I've also been told you should have 4 females to 1 male to give the females a break. :classic_wacko: I may have to separate them as I've been told the males will damage the females shell if they are too active (is daily considered active? :classic_laugh:) and that might be happening to her.

72426308_IMG_15144.JPG.b418f009c71a98f56a8d538136316ce8.JPG

I also have 3 Nerites in my Betta tank Hoover (male), Kirby (female), and Rumba (unknown gender, zebra). I think they like to taunt "Cosmo" the Betta, but I doubt they even know of his existence, despite him flaring and showing off to them.

IMG_1685.JPG.18d986ac0233a84f680a6d3c9259a881.JPG

They just do their thing. Hoover likes to plow through the good stuff:

IMG_0808.jpg.b614d79ddfb26e54b8f36b3241399200.jpg

I'll be honest, at first, I didn't like snails -- but they've grown on me and I adore my Nerites!

I feed them the hikari crab pellets which the mystery loves, how do you determine their sex?

On 3/30/2022 at 3:17 PM, freemoney said:

I feed them the hikari crab pellets which the mystery loves

I have really hard water (and I assumed plenty of calcium) but I do supplement green beans and Crab Cuisine to help give them some more calcium. I ordered some Wonder Shells and a high protein "Snello" mix to try.

On 3/30/2022 at 3:17 PM, freemoney said:

how do you determine their sex?

Ummmmm, they like to snuggle -- A LOT!

Just kidding, to *properly* sex Mystery Snails you have to pull them out of the tank and get them to lean out of their shell while you are holding them upside-down (they try to right themselves) and you will either see nothing, or a sheath. Otherwise, you can kind of guess because the male has a bell edge to their shell more than the female. 

image.png.621fe940d8f9780399509b41b8e2f7d2.png

For Nerites, I'm not sure, but I'm basing it on egg-laying.

• Like 1
  • Love 2