Guppies & Zebra Danios together?

GameCzar

So thanks to watching @Cory's guppy vids, we have now caught the fever. 

We have our new 10 gallon cycling already and decided that instead of worrying about getting a Dwarf Gourami or two that might nip fins, maybe we could keep Zebras and Guppies together?

A little quick research shows their parameters are close, and I think they are both peaceful.     

Does anyone have experience keeping them together?

How many would you feel would be safe in a 10 gallon? (we aren't scared of water changes)

Would the Guppies and Danios keep the guppy fry to a minimum?  We don't really have an LFS to breed for, I guess we could give them away on Facebook or something.

Any opinions are appreciated.   Attached is our tank as it quietly cycles, with new LED bulbs and a new statue!

jito.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 2

So i have one zebra danio that is like 2 years old. Sadly his friends all died when I was new too fishkeeping and new nothing about aquarium keeping but he is still alive and very healthy. He actually schools with my male guppies. The zebra danio will though eat your fry so I would do maybe 3-4 male guppies and maybe 6-8 zebra danios. Its a little on the overstocked side but as long as you do  water changes I guess you should be fine. THAT AQUARIUM IS BEAUTIFUL!!! Hope it goes well!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 7/13/2021 at 4:00 PM, Taco Playz said:

So i have one zebra danio that is like 2 years old. Sadly his friends all died when I was new too fishkeeping and new nothing about aquarium keeping but he is still alive and very healthy. He actually schools with my male guppies. The zebra danio will though eat your fry so I would do maybe 3-4 male guppies and maybe 6-8 zebra danios. Its a little on the overstocked side but as long as you do  water changes I guess you should be fine. THAT AQUARIUM IS BEAUTIFUL!!! Hope it goes well!

Poor guy probably thinks he's a Guppy now 😉

I'm totally fine for them to eat the fry, I really don't have room for an overflow tank!

Thank you!!

On 7/13/2021 at 4:00 PM, Taco Playz said:

Thanks for the compliment on the aquarium 🙂

Like he said, we actually don't mind losing fry, because we don't have room to have a thousand guppies, and we don't have a LFS to sell them to, so we don't mind a little population control.

• Like 2

On 7/13/2021 at 5:39 PM, Guppysnail said:

Zebras are fin nippers. One bit one of my mystery snails antenna off. Back to the LFS they went!

Intresting, I have had zebras for a few years now and they are fast and crazy sometimes but get along very well with everyone else. Maybe you just had a bully? Or I have just lucked out.

• Like 2

On 7/13/2021 at 5:02 PM, GameCzar said:

Poor guy probably thinks he's a Guppy now 😉

I'm totally fine for them to eat the fry, I really don't have room for an overflow tank!

Thank you!!

Haha yeah he's about to lose most of his friends too. They are going to my lfs on thursday! He'll still have two of them though. And no problem!

• Like 1

On 7/13/2021 at 6:19 PM, lefty o said:

they tend to do fine together. they will snack on fry, as well as the adult guppy's, so you will probably not get too over run with guppy's too fast.

How many would be safe in a 10 gallon?  We were thinking 6 danios and 3 guppies.

Edited by GameCzar

Tank looks 👌 

We have had Danio rerio with Poecilia and they seem okay with the shorter finned Poecilia....but longer finned (anything really lol) is a target with Danio rerio. Maybe not always or right away, but its very possible they will harass the Poecilia...

They are very active fish, Danio rerio and in a small school are ok, but will harass other fish, and definitely snack on any fry lol. But not older fry, weird I know lol... but they never snacked on any fry that were decent size but still unidentifiable. 

But again, we successfully kept them with sorter finned Poecilia, in a 55g. No fry, no nipping at least what we saw and added a nice effect to the already colorful tank!

You certainly have enough plants etc for the Danio's to zip around and through so a small school usually harassed itself...and usually eats their own eggs...but I wouldn't completely bet on the Danio eating all the eggs...as we have had Danio rerio parents leave a ton of eggs and fry alone to grow amongst them...yep.

Sorry for page response and if I am just repeating what someone else has said. I would say Yay to shorter finned Poecilia and small school of Danio rerio, as other than above mentioned it did work for us. You could opt for Endler's Guppy as they are smaller and may be of less interest to the Danio's...

Hope this helps,

We are new to the hobby, but continue to learn and observe some wild stuff!

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...