What is your favorite platy color breed

Cohen

My current favorite is the red-tailed dalmatian platy, because I love calico/koi colored fish. This is not my photo because I don't have a great camera, but I found one (just one!) while shopping for my new tank and he's in my quarantine setup right now.Redtail Dalmatian Platy for sale | Arizona Aquatic Gardens

• Like 6
  • Love 2

On 6/29/2021 at 6:28 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

Teacup Fireball Platys - I have 7 in quarantine. 

402B9558-CF17-451B-BD29-071CED42214B.jpeg.d3f8cbf7748f1b2acc411d26d84517fc.jpeg868AF21E-188E-4901-9B3D-5ABB4719E3DE.jpeg.b75ca8409b5f4241402ecbe58ed06351.jpeg

Hi, I’m pretty sure a teacup fireball platy and a dwarf red coral platy are the same! 

• Like 2

On 6/29/2021 at 7:21 PM, PineSong said:

My current favorite is the red-tailed dalmatian platy, because I love calico/koi colored fish. This is not my photo because I don't have a great camera, but I found one (just one!) while shopping for my new tank and he's in my quarantine setup right now.Redtail Dalmatian Platy for sale | Arizona Aquatic Gardens

Really cool, platy! I almost got that one

• Like 1

On 6/30/2021 at 5:14 PM, PineSong said:

I've never seen those kinds of platies before--they are gorgeous!

There's Lots of different colours morph of wild platys  probably a couple of hundred colour forms these are  variatus puente escalanar

Screenshot_20210630-173037~2.png

Edited by Colu
  • Like 4

On 6/30/2021 at 10:36 AM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

@Cohenno black on the tails of these fireballs, all red. Only difference. 

Yeah, I have a whole group of coral platys that are all red, that one is my favorite so I thought I would share! They are the same thing tho!

4953FF53-D188-4301-8A53-42E4CBDE2791.jpeg

• Love 1

On 6/30/2021 at 7:11 AM, ARMYVET said:

Where can I find some top quality platys for a breeding project I am starting.  All of my LFS has everything but quality...they look downright pathetic which is sad!

I would look at a family owned fish store. That’s were I got mine. Depending on the store mine let’s me make orders for a specific platy or fish!

On 6/30/2021 at 1:02 PM, Cohen said:

I would look at a family owned fish store. That’s were I got mine. Depending on the store mine let’s me make orders for a specific platy or fish!

Unfortunately where I am at there are no more family owned fish stores...everything has gone big box...the only non big box stores around where I live all only deal with saltwater.  The closest independent freshwater fish store is 90 min away from me.  Although I do have plans to visit it tomorrow so hopefully I will see something there I just cant live without. Fingers crossed

On 6/30/2021 at 12:20 PM, ARMYVET said:

Unfortunately where I am at there are no more family owned fish stores...everything has gone big box...the only non big box stores around where I live all only deal with saltwater.  The closest independent freshwater fish store is 90 min away from me.  Although I do have plans to visit it tomorrow so hopefully I will see something there I just cant live without. Fingers crossed

Yes! Good luck and share your what ever you get.

• 2 years later...

Oh, I've always had a soft spot for platies, especially after having those vibrant red ones. They literally lit up my tank and made it look like a lively underwater party every day. And the way they just zoom around, minding their own business, always gets me smiling.

But, you know, I've been eyeing the tuxedo platy for a while now. Haven't had the chance to add them to my tank yet, but they're definitely on my wishlist. There's something about that classy look they have — like they're always dressed to impress. Imagine having these little guys darting around, adding a touch of elegance to the whole scene. Can't wait to see how they'll mix with my current fish fam.

Oh, just saw that this thread was a couple of years old....

• Love 1

We have mostly mutt platys, a mix of the common ones. Red wag. Sunset. Mickey Mouse. Sunset Mickey Mouse. And coral. All obtained as some of our first fish. They just do their thing in their tank. Around 30 in a twenty. Looks like the corals are winning the genetic race.