Floating sponge filters

Jandlms

I recently purchased an assortment of sponge filters from Aquarium Coop for my new fish room. Small sponge filters went into several ten gallon tanks with no problems. medium and large sponge filters in larger tanks refuse to sink.  What am I doing wrong.  I know I can silicon some rocks to the top and probably get them to sink but I’m not wild about the silicon blob look.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Both medium and large squeezed multiple times and still floating. I will try temporarily weighing them down and running them overnight and see if that has any effect. Small ones sank immediately.  I never even got a chance or a need to squeeze them.

Extra question.  Any way to modify the larger or medium ones to put one of your no clog air stones in for a finer flow of bubbles?

I just put 2 of the Large ACO sponge filters in my pond.  10 min after putting them in they were floating....I squeezed out all the air and they sank.....10 min later they were floating again.  I was like there is no way this should be happening.....now i did use check valves on them but had the check valve right near the sponge filter....dont ask me why i did that just that I did🙄77AC55AC-CA99-4074-8627-BDCCCF29EAFF.jpeg.c6f9120eaca6bf2301eb1ace54b0d979.jpeg

Well thats a big air bubble right next to the filter....I removed the check valve ...reinstalled the filter and it sank never to return to the surface.   So in my case...operator error.....Dohhhh!E5FF3D89-F36A-410F-8370-94583E1A1176.jpeg again.....its been 2 days now.

Edited by ARMYVET

On 6/22/2021 at 8:38 PM, Jandlms said:

Both medium and large squeezed multiple times and still floating. I will try temporarily weighing them down and running them overnight and see if that has any effect. Small ones sank immediately.  I never even got a chance or a need to squeeze them.

Extra question.  Any way to modify the larger or medium ones to put one of your no clog air stones in for a finer flow of bubbles?

This article from the blog might help explain: https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/sponge-filters-the-easiest-fish-tank-filter-ever

Squeezed them again last night and weighted them down as they still wanted to float.  This morning both were sunken and tipped over so the weights fell off. 
The saga is apparently over. Thanks for the input folks, although I would still like to hear any ideas about using a no clog airstone in them for a finer flow of bubbles.

On 6/23/2021 at 12:47 PM, Jandlms said:

I would still like to hear any ideas about using a no clog airstone in them for a finer flow of bubbles.

I believe all the co-op sponge filters will fit their no clog air stones. Are you having trouble fitting yours in the filter?