MY snail THINKS he needs his own tank...geez

Guppysnail

On 6/21/2021 at 1:03 PM, ARMYVET said:

I am embarrased to tell you that in a 1 gallon vase I have some guppy grass and 1 Ramshorn snail named Scooter.  He sits on my coffee table and he munches on the guppy grass algae and some Repashy once in a while. 

While I am watching tv I can watch him climbing thru the grass and is funny to watch. Im thinking of putting another one in there just to give him a pal but Id hate to upset the apple cart.  

Why embarrassed? That is awesome!  He sounds very happy.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2021 at 12:13 PM, Guppysnail said:

Just to clarify this was just supposed to bring smiles and laughs. Not meant to be anything else. Sorry

This post has made me very happy.  I love snails!  Matter of fact,  we just got back from picking up 2 nerites to help Fred out with some algae.  Got some black racers 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 6/21/2021 at 1:26 PM, ARMYVET said:

I was laughing the whole time I was writing it...all is great!  😂

Whew...I was worried I made you feel bad. I would love to do a snail vase in my living room...my hubby and I smoke so I’m scared it will poison the water.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2021 at 1:55 PM, Guppysnail said:

Whew...I was worried I made you feel bad. I would love to do a snail vase in my living room...my hubby and I smoke so I’m scared it will poison the water.

Oh gosh I am sorry ...that was not my intention.  I just figured it would seem strange to everybody that I have a lone Ramshorn snail in a vase...lol

Before I setup the 20 gallon aquarium...I had to have some very serious conversations with Upper Management about the use of spray air fresheners and how they cannot be used.  She looked at me like I had lost my mind until I explained how it can land on the water and poison her fish.  She understood quickly at that point lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well I say we got two nerites.  We have one that immediately came out of his shell and is eating algae like a preacher at a potluck,  and the other one who hasn't let go of his brother's shell since I put them in the tank 🤣

Edited by TheCzarista
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 6/21/2021 at 6:11 PM, Streetwise said:

I think members can edit thread titles. You just have to be on the first post. If this is not the case, I will look at the permissions.

Thanks..I’m lucky I can find the internet most days. I fixed it but still think my snail would speak in Neanderthal language...ROFL. 

• Haha 1

I took this picture for @ARMYVET but it applies here as well. My oldest female Escape (should have an accent over the e at the end but I can't seem to get my bluetooth keyboard to cooperate, whatever). She's huge! And I love her. And here is my only baby that managed to hatch as well. Both say Hi!

I feed my snails in a literal fishbowl (bowl is shaped like a fish). My Harlequins aren't interested in the bowl, BUT it's also where my Otos eat from. Today, we always have a Hikari Algae wafer (the Mystery snails don't seem to care for them much but the Otos LOVE them. A piece of calcium chew, and an Xtreme Cat Scraper. The menu changes daily. It's an easy way to see what is being eaten and an easy way to keep the area clean and remove old food. Not that some doesn't escape the bowl from time to time. They also today have a cucumber slice on a veggie clip. 

My other tank has 7 Nerites and I put food in another bowl of the same type. The Black Neons are donkey's rears, always trying to eat the food and when not successful kick up crumbs everywhere. 😐

Resized_20210620_130838.jpg

Resized_20210618_140844.jpg

Resized_20210621_151651.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 2

On 6/21/2021 at 5:23 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

I took this picture for @ARMYVET but it applies here as well. My oldest female Escape (should have an accent over the e at the end but I can't seem to get my bluetooth keyboard to cooperate, whatever). She's huge! And I love her. And here is my only baby that managed to hatch as well. Both say Hi!

I feed my snails in a literal fishbowl (bowl is shaped like a fish). My Harlequins aren't interested in the bowl, BUT it's also where my Otos eat from. Today, we always have a Hikari Algae wafer (the Mystery snails don't seem to care for them much but the Otos LOVE them. A piece of calcium chew, and an Xtreme Cat Scraper. The menu changes daily. It's an easy way to see what is being eaten and an easy way to keep the area clean and remove old food. Not that some doesn't escape the bowl from time to time. They also today have a cucumber slice on a veggie clip. 

My other tank has 7 Nerites and I put food in another bowl of the same type. The Black Neons are donkey's rears, always trying to eat the food and when not successful kick up crumbs everywhere. 😐

Resized_20210620_130838.jpg

Resized_20210618_140844.jpg

Resized_20210621_151651.jpg

Omg! Baby snail! So adorable

• Like 3
  • Love 1

On 6/22/2021 at 5:35 PM, TheCzarista said:

No clue, just named them after old black and white movie stars.  Still honestly don't have a clue about fred either

But rocky....lol no bull winkle  you can’t keep 50 snails in a 10 gallon tank

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Love seeing all the mystery snails!

I have one named Luke who has a bit of an interesting story.  My 29 gallon tank was originally a bullfrog habitat (RIP Felix Jim, you were a good dude).  Luke lived in the water portion of the tank and helped keep algae down.  The bullfrog habitat wasn't heated and during the winter Luke shut himself up behind his trap door and went into hibernation.  A film of black algae grew on his shell and he stayed immobile for quite some time.  

After FJ passed, I was cleaning everything out to turn the tank back into an aquarium.  I picked up Luke's shell and wondered if he was even still alive.  Stuck him in a small container of warmer water with an algae wafer and got back to work.  Much to my surprise he popped out and started eating!  He has really come into his own in the new environment and has grown rapidly!  He started making new shell growth in his original gold color and so for a while was a two-tone snail, haha.  As you'll see in the second video, he had some help getting the rest of it off and is now fully returned to his original bright color.

One of my friends wondered if Luke has stories for the other snails and fish.  "You kids have no idea what I've seen.  When I was young the water was low and sometimes cold and the world was ruled by a giant green monster who could tread land and water!"

Luke doing his best Tony Hawk:

Getting a shell cleaning from a little comrade:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1