MY snail THINKS he needs his own tank...geez

Guppysnail

On 6/21/2021 at 9:10 AM, TheCzarista said:

Fred says hello back.  He is two months old, likes long walks around the tank, enjoys fine dinners of crab cuisine, and often enjoys an after dinner snack of water spangles.  He hasn't stopped growing yet lol

20210621_080300.jpg

Hi Fred!

On 6/21/2021 at 9:36 AM, TheCzarista said:

What do you feed Caramel? 

Green beans steamed are his fav.  He does not care so much for cucumber or zucchini.  He eats broccoli stems kale Brussels sprouts sweet potato carrots...which makes it look like it snowed Orange! Repashy community soilient green and super green with spirulina powder mixed in. Assorted wafers And of course whatever leftovers he can get to before anyone else 🙂

• Like 2

Honest question: What's a good strategy for feeding your snails without overfeeding your fish? I'm figuring out how to balance this out still. I want my snails to get some food but I'm having a hard time when the fish are so voracious! That said, all 3 of my mystery snails are a great size, still growing, and their shell growth looks beautiful.

On 6/21/2021 at 8:45 AM, laritheloud said:

Honest question: What's a good strategy for feeding your snails without overfeeding your fish? I'm figuring out how to balance this out still. I want my snails to get some food but I'm having a hard time when the fish are so voracious! That said, all 3 of my mystery snails are a great size, still growing, and their shell growth looks beautiful.

I use a feeding tube down to a dish, and use sinking foods.  The food goes down the tube and settles in the dish,  and the tetras in the tank with fred don't mess with it.   I guess it depends on the other tank mates

Edited by TheCzarista
  • Like 2

On 6/21/2021 at 9:47 AM, TheCzarista said:

I use a feeding tube down to a dish, and use sinking foods.  The food goes down the tube and settles in the dish,  and the tetras in the tank with fred don't mess with it.   I guess it depends on the other tank mates

My tetras eat.... literally everything. 😬 And I have a gourami that loves to eat, too. The corydoras eat more slowly and let the snails get to it. I'll try veggies on a more regular basis and see if it helps.

On 6/21/2021 at 9:45 AM, laritheloud said:

Steamed or blanched veggies. I keep veggies in my tank at all times for them and my Bristlenose.  Green beans are super high vitamin content tons of vit c

• Like 1

On 6/21/2021 at 9:45 AM, laritheloud said:

What's a good strategy for feeding your snails without overfeeding your fish?

If you want to feed your snails in a "controlled manner" , place small "dish" of some kind on the substrate put in it some boiled / steamed green vegetables, and let them have at it for about 3-5 minutes.  Remove anything left uneaten after this period of time.  I wouldn't worry about the fish, anything they pilfer wont cause any harm.

I hardly ever do this, because I want their primary food source to be from algae consumption.  Only time I ever supplement is when there is little other available food sources.

Edited by tonyjuliano
  • Like 1

On 6/21/2021 at 8:55 AM, laritheloud said:

My tetras eat.... literally everything. 😬 And I have a gourami that loves to eat, too. The corydoras eat more slowly and let the snails get to it. I'll try veggies on a more regular basis and see if it helps.

We have green neon tetras and they will investigate Fred's food, but they don't mess with it

On 6/21/2021 at 8:57 AM, tonyjuliano said:

If you want to feed your snails in a "controlled manner" , place small "dish" of some kind on the substrate and let them have at it for about 3-5 minutes.  Remove anything left uneaten after this period of time.  I wouldn't worry about the fish, anything they pilfer wont cause any harm.

I hardly ever do this, because i want their primary food source to be from algae consumption.  Only time I ever supplement is when there is little other available food sources.

Mystery snails are not great at algae eating. They will eat algae wafers sometimes but it isn't their primary diet. Now,  nerites on the other hand,  they love the algae. 

• Like 2

On 6/21/2021 at 9:57 AM, tonyjuliano said:

If you want to feed your snails in a "controlled manner" , place small "dish" of some kind on the substrate and let them have at it for about 3-5 minutes.  Remove anything left uneaten after this period of time.  I wouldn't worry about the fish, anything they pilfer wont cause any harm.

I hardly ever do this, because i want their primary food source to be from algae consumption.  Only time I ever supplement is when there is little other available food sources.

The snails eat constantly and look very healthy and active. I have nerites and mysteries, and all of them are growing along with my 6 amanos. I do feed with soilent green and it's a hit with fish AND inverts. I have shrimp pellets, snail stix, and I occasionally throw in fresh veggies but I don't keep them in the tank for more than a few hours.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2021 at 9:47 AM, TheCzarista said:

Yeah his mates are 2 juvenile Bristlenose 3 other mystery bladder snails tons and tons of shrimp a spastic guppy who is only happy in that tank and cpd’s. So I overfeed that tank consistently and do daily light exposed area gravel vacs and 20% water changes with 1/3 tank deep vac every other day.  My tap starts between 15-25 nitrate so..... I cannot physically care for larger tanks anymore so it is only a 20 long plenty of room but obscene waste producers

On 6/21/2021 at 9:59 AM, TheCzarista said:

Mystery snails are not great at algae eating. They will eat algae wafers sometimes but it isn't their primary diet. Now,  nerites on the other hand,  they love the algae. 

Mine are spoiled they hardly eat any algae that’s why I keep bladder snails 

On 6/21/2021 at 10:00 AM, laritheloud said:

The snails eat constantly and look very healthy and active. I have nerites and mysteries, and all of them are growing along with my 6 amanos. I do feed with soilent green and it's a hit with fish AND inverts. I have shrimp pellets, snail stix, and I occasionally throw in fresh veggies but I don't keep them in the tank for more than a few hours.

This is a perfect strategy.

Contrary to the title of this post, I don't believe its necessary for snails to have an "exclusive home".

Symbiosis, right?  Nature's way.

On 6/21/2021 at 10:02 AM, tonyjuliano said:

This is a perfect strategy.

Contrary to the title of this post, I don't believe its necessary for snails to have an "exclusive home".

Symbiosis, right?  Nature's way.

I didn’t quite word that right I didn’t know how many letters I could use.  He has plenty of company. It was supposed to be snail thinks he needs own tank.  Just not good with computers. ROFL

• Haha 1

On 6/21/2021 at 9:59 AM, TheCzarista said:

Well, I'm not going to agree with you on this, the entire snail population in all of my tanks (Mysteries, Nerites, Pond Snails) are regular "algae vacuums".  I will concede that the Nerites are most effective, though.

I know algae isn't a mystery snail's primary diet and don't keep them to eat the algae, but I know they definitely do eat it. I'm kind of impressed with how much orange/red dead staghorn comes out of them, especially since I never expected them to eat that stuff.

On 6/21/2021 at 10:08 AM, tonyjuliano said:

I think it's strange that you can't edit post titles.  The only way i know how to correct a typo is to "hide" the post and start over.

? I don’t know that much about computers I thought the title was funny is all snail needs own tank. ROFL

On 6/21/2021 at 10:20 AM, Guppysnail said:

? I don’t know that much about computers I thought the title was funny is all snail needs own tank. ROFL

I am embarrased to tell you that in a 1 gallon vase I have some guppy grass and 1 Ramshorn snail named Scooter.  He sits on my coffee table and he munches on the guppy grass algae and some Repashy once in a while. 

While I am watching tv I can watch him climbing thru the grass and is funny to watch. Im thinking of putting another one in there just to give him a pal but Id hate to upset the apple cart.  

• Like 2
  • Love 1