What is your least favorite fish in your community tank?

Janelle

I saw this question posted someplace else and I thought the conversation it provided was awesome!  I’ve learned that Molly’s are pigs and bully a lot of other fish around and many people don’t care for them.  🤷🏻‍♀️ The things you learn…😉

What is/was your least favorite fish in your community tank and why?  

My pleco. I didn't buy this fish, it was dumped in my lap by someone else shutting down their one tank who didn't realize they still had a pleco living in there. Because I don't know what kind it is the question of how big it's going to get keeps me up at night. I have shared a picture of it and been assured by people on the PlanetCatfish forum that it's not a common pleco but they weren't able to tell me exactly what it was and there are plenty of others that will get too big for my 29 gal tank (it's currently 6" and already makes me feel guilty). 

I can't help but love it. It's so ugly it's cute, has tons of personality and is a gentle giant but worrying about keeping it happy and comfortable for its entire life is stressing me out. 

• Like 2

I would say my Siamese flying fox. He is blind on one side due to some type of deformity or injury. Even so, he has gotten bolder ever since we moved the gourami and other flying fox out of the tank. Now he just nips and bites my Corydoras for fun and is aggressive during feeding time.

• Like 1

My Dwarf Gourami was so mean... He bullied everyone and everything; I saw him fight a shrimp over an algae wafer once... He was also pretty easy to spook, if I walked up to the tank he would go hide. 

As much as I disliked him, I was pretty sad when he died 😕 

I have one fish on my get rid of list for the past 18 months. Unfortunately he does not want to be gotten rid of which makes it hard to get rid of him. And yes it is a him - it is a very grump very large (even for the type of fish it is) male bristlenose pleco. The only thing good bout him is he leaves my female lemon pleco alone.

Today it is my electric blue acara. I added a pearl gourami to the mix today thinking they would be ok since both of them are supposed to be on the peaceful side of their species. Well the EBA nipped at the gourami as soon as he was in the water. I moved some driftwood around to break up the established territories. Hopefully they will adjust and get along. But for now the EBA is on my naughty list.