Epiphyte Choice!

I'm gonna go against the grain and say anubias or bucephelandra. I have a Java Fern and I actually really dislike how it looks. It's alive and growing well (new leaves look okay), but most of the old leaves are.......... not fantastic. I don't think java ferns like my water much, even if they're alive and growing!

• Like 1

Just now, Tyler LaZerte said:

@laritheloud I am thinking of Buce as a definite option. Which would you go with?

I'm obsessed with the Dark Skeleton King buce. I'll be putting it in a high-tech tank with harder water on the alkaline side, I'm receiving mine today. The dark, richly-colored leaves appeal to me a LOT. I believe the green skeleton king is a bit easier to maintain but the shape and size of the leaves are the same as the dark skeleton king. I just love the foliage, nice size, very eye-catching.

• Like 1

I really like the look of Bolbitis, but haven’t been able to find any locally. 

Windelov Java Fern has a similar look but I seem to struggle with Java Fern, the newly bought plants don’t die but I have trouble getting the emersed grown leaves to stay healthy. The conversion period seems to take a long time. I think my Windelov was bought in January but is only now settling down to to point where it looks good. 

BC41B2AB-0FE6-4009-8DC9-6E5EE08440BD.jpeg

Edited by Patrick_G
  • Like 1

Yeah, it often doesn't show up in lists of epiphytes! 

I also find the "golden" Anubias varieties very pleasing. I have the golden nana. The golden coin is possibly even prettier. I like the ordinary coloured Anubias too. 

• Like 1

I agree with @laritheloud, buce is a great option. If the aquarium is on the smaller side, I would go with buce or anubias nana petite

If the aquarium is larger, I would go with bolbitis or anubias coffeefolia

Java fern trident is a great option as well as @Stealth Aquatics mentioned! 

Even a mossy plant like fissidens can look amazing. Hygrophila pinnatifida is a great contrasting red plant like @darkG mentioned. 

I guess it really depends on the whole look you are going for. 

• Like 3

I got another vote for Bolbitis heudelotii. It's one of my fav plants and it seems to do pretty well for me. It gets so bushy and just looks so good. Also apparently my typing is in italics now because I copy and pasted that latin name and I can't seem to turn it off, lol.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Patrick_G said:

I really like the look of Bolbitis, but haven’t been able to find any locally. 

Windelov Java Fern has a similar look but I seem to struggle with Java Fern, the newly bought plants don’t die but I have trouble getting the emersed grown leaves to stay healthy. The conversion period seems to take a long time. I think my Windelov was bought in January but is only now settling down to to point where it looks good. 

BC41B2AB-0FE6-4009-8DC9-6E5EE08440BD.jpeg

I am also struggling with my Java Fern. Right now, it looks hideous, complete staghorn algae magnet. I'm just starting to get the algae under control so maybe someday it'll look healthy.

• Like 1

@laritheloud, It’s supposed to be easy right? I have a couple that are doing ok but I don’t feel like I’ve discovered any secret fertilizer dosing or husbandry techniques. 
When I had some Staghorn algae I had the bright idea to take out the fern and brush on Seachem Exel, full strength. It sure killed the algae, along with all the leaves! 😳

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Patrick_G said:

@laritheloud, It’s supposed to be easy right? I have a couple that are doing ok but I don’t feel like I’ve discovered any secret fertilizer dosing or husbandry techniques. 
When I had some Staghorn algae I had the bright idea to take out the fern and brush on Seachem Exel, full strength. It sure killed the algae, along with all the leaves! 😳

Well, the plant is certainly alive and propagating, but I don't think it's easy at all to keep it looking pretty. 🤣 I much prefer my buce and my anubias... and my cryptocoryne tropicas most of all. Maybe Java Ferns look ugly in harder water? I'm not sure what's making it unhappy, but I run CO2 injections in my tank and fertilize every couple of days. To be fair, the staghorn is starting to get mowed down and cut back, but I'm not sure if it's what I'm doing, my nerite snails eating it, or my amano shrimp stealthily going to munch on it late at night when I can't see them!

EDIT: I also poured Seachem Excel on one leaf and it killed the staghorn very well. I'm nervous to dose more because I keep vallisneria, mosses, and dwarf sag in the same tank.

Edited by laritheloud
  • Like 2