Copper Pipes

HuskyGuppie

Hello. My wife and I recently had our plumbing updated in an old house we are rehabbing. We installed all new copper piping. Should we be concerned about copper in our water as it pertains to water changes in our aquariums? We have 2 red eared sliders, 2 tropical tanks and 1 shrimp tank.

Whether copper levels is an issue isn't easy to know. New pipes does mean a greater risk. Letting the water run is helpful if the leaching is indeed a problem. Copper ppm will depend on temperature, time stagnant and pH. Letting the water run obviously nulls stagnant time and likely removes all potential danger. A large water change after a holiday without flushing out the maybe high-copper water in the pipes is probably unwise. It might be perfectly safe, no way of knowing unless you know.

There are copper tests, maybe use one and be better informed! I think Seachem may have the best one (please get a second opinion on that). 

Does everyone that keeping aquatic animals live in new or newly remodeled homes?  
For that matter.   What about the supply line coming into your homes?   
My home was built in 1956.   I have copper in my home.   
Good Luck 

Copper pipes shouldn't be an issue. Solder/flux residue could be an issue in brand new work. Also if your water has a lot of fine particulate matter those particles could scrap off copper as they transit the pipe (copper is a fairly soft metal in general and the flexible copper pipes are especially so) and some wells tend to pull up fine particulate matter. In general, I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you start having trouble, it's a good place to look for a problem, but I don't see it being a major issue for you.

Many/most plumbers will still argue that copper pipes are the best option for water supplies. PEX (cross linked polyethylene) is becoming the new standard, but many/most old-school plumbers still prefer copper. It's been around forever and has largely stood the test of time. 

Municipal water supplies can be more than a bit iffy. Many still use lead pipes at one stage or another. You just don't know what the water has gone through getting to you. It's also possible some idiot along the route has bypassed the check valve and is back-flushing something harmful into the water supply. (A story idea I have for a future novel. Water meters tend to have the check valve built-in and are often inside a residence. A person with bad intentions with access to a powerful enough toxin could contaminate a whole city's water supply once it's left the water treatment plant by simply bypassing the check valve and back-flushing the toxin into the water supply line.) 

• Like 1

I would not worry.  My fish have never known anything but copper water pipes.  As of last month even my supply lines are copper.  The Amano shrimp don't seem to be having any issues.  In any event some of the popular aquarium plant fertilizers are already adding copper, chlorine, and other baddies to your water.

• Administrators

I have new copper sweated in from time to time when I build fish rooms. I've never had a problem and never worry about it. Most of my runs are PEX, but lots of stuff is easier to fix in copy with existing stub ins etc.

I am happy to hear that many of you do not experience any problems from excess copper in your tap water! If you have nothing to worry about, you should indeed not worry. 

Invertebrates are rather sensitive and tap water does occasionally contain unsafe levels and copper piping is a main factor. Larger scale installations will benefit from negligible percent stagnant water.

If you're worried do as others have suggested and run your water for a min before using it.  Once scale forms in your pipes it won't even be touching the copper. 

FWIW the scale build up is why lead pipe is "okay" and why your city suddenly changing its water source and not properly treating it (I'm looking at you flint MI) is not okay.

• Haha 1