Cardinal vs Neon Tetras

Melinda P

I’ve always been told Cardinals are astronomically harder to keep than neons, the latter of which seeming to be the staple beginner fish to get. 

Is this true? If so, what exactly about them make them hard to keep? I wouldn’t consider myself a beginner, but not an expert by any means. Both species are gorgeous regardless but I was just wondering about what exactly it was that made the difference

I personally don't think there is any truth of it but a lot depends on your source of the fish. Since most people buy from LFS it boils down to the source for the LFS....

Of the 12 wild cardinals i purchased this year only 1 died and it was 'defective'. In my group of 27 cardinals the oldest one is now 3+ years.

Edited by anewbie
more info
  • Like 2

@Melinda PI've been keeping Cardinal Tetras since 1968 and in all my years they've been hardier, and had better longevity than Neon Tetras. These days I buy mine from my LFS who supports Project Piaba and their bid to keep the Amazon river aquarium fisheries and rainforest intact.

All the Cardinals he sells are wild caught and have been hardier than the batches of farm raised fish I had bought from some suppliers in the past. He had some shipments recently that had suffered from FEDEX delays as did everybody else, and tropical fishes don't do well in the cold and with long delays, but after initial losses and keeping them quarantined for a week, or two he even got them to recover and to new homes.

On average I've been able to keep my Cardinals for at least three + years, and from the current batch of 35 I bought last July I have lost 0.IMG_8096AC-Edit.jpeg.f1d1f2e74daf629e39471aa4d8334454.jpeg

Amazon Diagonal View 1.jpeg

• Like 3

I would say they are equal.  I think sometimes people equate price into ease.  Be honest if you purchase 24 neons at a dollar each and a 4 or 5 die off in the first month or so we tend to forget about it.  If that happens to a cardinal we just paid 3.50 - 4.00 we tend to remember.   
Purchase good stock, feed well and make sure they are healthy.   
Good Luck 

I got Black Neon tetras by chance, and watching them side by side the Cardinals, I think they should not be overlooked. A little understated, but really underrated 🤪. But I don't know how they rank on hardiness and difficulty. 

If I get tetras permanently (unlikely), I would consider black neon tetra and ember tetra before neon and cardinal! 

6 hours ago, darkG said:

I got Black Neon tetras by chance, and watching them side by side the Cardinals, I think they should not be overlooked. A little understated, but really underrated 🤪. But I don't know how they rank on hardiness and difficulty. 

If I get tetras permanently (unlikely), I would consider black neon tetra and ember tetra before neon and cardinal! 

In my limited experience they are very hardy, and not at all difficult.  And I agree with you that they're often underrated.

Edited by JettsPapa