Considering tank #3...

LaurieinIA

I’m considering tank #3.

I REALLY want a 75, but I’m limited on space so, unless I get rid of my sofa, it’s doubtful I can make it work.  I currently have African Cichlids and another with a betta & ember tetras. 

Not sure what I want this time, but I’m considering trying live plants this time.  Would need to be low tech & beginner friendly.  

suggestions?  

What sort of space do you have? If you can't fit a 4 ft tank, how about a 40 breeder (3ftx18in)? 50 gals have the same footprint too, and are taller. I think once you know the size you'll be able to have, then planning how to stock it will be easier. 

Edited by H.K.Luterman
me talk good
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, H.K.Luterman said:

What sort of space do you have? If you can't fit a 4 ft tank, how about a 40 breeder (3ftx18in)? 50 gals have the same footprint too, and are taller. I think once you know the size you'll be able to have, then planning how to stock it will be easier. 

Honestly, I’d have to measure (and should have do so before posting), but I just googled the various tank dimensions and I’m guessing I’ll have to stay closer to a 20high.  A 20long/29 might be pushing it.

3 minutes ago, KBOzzie59 said:

Tons of choices.  To better offer suggestions knowing what size tank you are going to use would help.

I have a 10 gallon low tech test tank.  I will post a picture this evening when I get home.  You can have some nice color in a low tech tank.

I’d love to see it!

Going to sprinkle in some pics from our other tanks.

Tiger Lotus in my wifes 20 long.  This tank has never seen a root tab and get easy green a couple times a month.  

IMG_3938.JPG.821ead516a91628958583c47f874e643.JPG

This was the last iteration of my 10 gallon test tank.  Banana plant lily pads and a bacopa caroliniana

IMG_3951.JPG.fb2e516010297c902e60b7d217dded4f.JPG

Is it really a planted tank without java fern?

IMG_3998.JPG.32d0562245664ce5397c9a667dacefa5.JPG

This is the first planting of the 10 gallon test tank.  That crypt on the left now reaches to surface and would like a taller tank.

Skrimps.jpg.72961c01b6fe8af7c1b9cf36839903e0.jpg

• Like 4

I'm an enabler, so I say GO FOR IT.

I am only about 5 days into my first planted tank, so I don't have much to offer for advice yet, but I picked mostly "beginner friendly" things to start with including:  java fern, anubias, water sprite, amazon swords, dwarf lily, and several others I am forgetting at the moment...

So far I think the amazon swords are the only thing showing new growth, but like I said, only 5 days in.  

Good Luck!!

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Frank said:

What's your budget?

If you can't go wider, can you go deeper (front to back) or taller? 24" x 18" x 18" is 30 gallons. 24" x 24" x 18" is 40 gallons. And, 24" x 24" x 24" is 55 gallons.

https://www.customaquariums.com/glass-aquariums/all-aquarium-standard-sizes.html

Budget is somewhat negotiable 😉. But, I am looking to support my LFS as much as possible. Plus, I have a 25% off coupon 😁 with them that expires soon, so I’ll probably get something standard size/dimension 

I guess I should mention lighting.  Pick the right light and enjoy growing aquatic plants, pick the wrong light and enjoy growing algae.

On the 10 test tank I have a Finnex Planted+ Nano Clip Light

The others pictures are the Fluval Plant 3.0 (worth every penny). 

I also run a few of the Fluval Nano's for more of a spotlight situation.

Edit:  I just learnt how tew spell tank!

Edited by KBOzzie59
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, KBOzzie59 said:

I guess I should mention lighting.  Pick the right light and enjoy growing aquatic plants, pick the wrong light and enjoy growing algae.

On the 10 test tank I have a Finnex Planted+ Nano Clip Light. 

The others pictures are the Fluval Plant 3.0 (worth every penny). 

I wasn’t thinking about that yet!  I’ll have to look into that, too.  Maybe I should see if I can use my 25% off on the light since it could cost just as much, if not more, than the aquarium? 

Update... based on measurements, I think I’ve narrowed it down to one of these 3 sizes. A 20 high, a 29, or a 36 bow front.

The width of the 20 high would be ideal, but I can push it to the 30” needed for the larger sizes.  However, it would put the side snug against an (exterior) wall, which I usually try to avoid.

Pros/cons on any of them.  I plan to do live plants... low tech, beginner style. Not sure on stocking yet...open to ideas. 

I have planted a 20 gallon long. It has a finnex stingray on it. I am still dialing in the photo period, currently at 7.5 hours. I have cryptocorns, Java fern windelov, pogostemon helferi, and Anubis’s. Dosing with easy green and added root tabs. Everything is fine, the crypts aren’t doing the greatest (I think it’s because I have super hard water?) but the Java fern, pogostemon, and Anubias are all super happy with the light and nutrients.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, lefty o said:

dont need a sofa, you can lay on the floor and watch the fish in your new aquarium.

I agree as I don’t like the sofa anyway! But, getting rid of it was shot down pretty quickly. I’ll take what I can get... this will be aquarium #3 since I started in August 🤷🏻‍♀️🐠