Nitrite levels and newer tank

ScottEsh

What is your ammonia. Typically ammonia goes up first. As ammonia goes down nitrite goes up. As nitrite goes down nitrate goes up.

Ammonia —> Nitrite —> Nitrate

a fully cycled aquarium should have 0 ammonia and nitrite and some amount of nitrate. Doing water changes removes the very thing you need present to foster bacterial growth to break it down. I’ve seen some say that very high levels can “stall” the cycle. With your reason I would let it keep doing it’s thing. That is unless there are fish in the tank. Then you should really see what the ammonia is and change water to minimize that if needed. Hope that helps. There are others on here that could probably give you a more in depth or eloquent answer but that’s the general gist. 

Here is what typical cycling looks like (from a project I worked on late last year):

image.png.165c29a5a55ceb2e0842b47b10c63f

By the end of the cycle your ammonia and nitrites will be at very low levels. And no, I wouldn't change the water as that will just prolong the cycle.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, AquaAggie said:

I’ve seen some say that very high levels can “stall” the cycle.

This happened to me while fishless cycling using Dr. Tim's ammonia drops. The instructions are to bring NH3/4 level up to 5+ ppm, insanely high. Once the also insanely high nitrite was being consumed, my nitrates rose to 160 on the chart - probably even higher, and then the cycle stalled. This was about 5 weeks in and I'd been feeding it heavily that whole time with no water changes. I bet the nitrates were insanely high. Once I did a couple of large WCs, the cycle finished within a few days, and then I did another one right before adding fish from quarantine. This whole process took about six weeks. I feel like it was way too extreme, although I must say doing it gives you a really rock-solid cycled tank. 

It's so much easier to cycle with a small number of fish and consistent monitoring.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AquaAggie said:

What is your ammonia. Typically ammonia goes up first. As ammonia goes down nitrite goes up. As nitrite goes down nitrate goes up.

Ammonia —> Nitrite —> Nitrate

a fully cycled aquarium should have 0 ammonia and nitrite and some amount of nitrate. Doing water changes removes the very thing you need present to foster bacterial growth to break it down. I’ve seen some say that very high levels can “stall” the cycle. With your reason I would let it keep doing it’s thing. That is unless there are fish in the tank. Then you should really see what the ammonia is and change water to minimize that if needed. Hope that helps. There are others on here that could probably give you a more in depth or eloquent answer but that’s the general gist. 

Yes I have fish in the tank. That tank has been up for 2 weeks.. otherwise I’d let it go...  I will check ammonia levels. The seachem ammonia tag hanging in the tank shows no ammonia.. not too sure on trusting those yet..

2 hours ago, Daniel said:

Here is what typical cycling looks like (from a project I worked on late last year):

image.png.165c29a5a55ceb2e0842b47b10c63f

By the end of the cycle your ammonia and nitrites will be at very low levels. And no, I wouldn't change the water as that will just prolong the cycle.

This is the outcome of my tests this am... should I water change with fish in he tank? 

42224483-2DEA-4A32-902F-6CE178C51737.jpeg

No, don't change your water. Changing your water will only delay what you are trying to accomplish which is cycling. I had fish in the tank above and they were fine. If yours are fine, I would wait on the water change and keep testing to see how it is progressing.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Daniel said:

No, don't change your water. Changing your water will only delay what you are trying to accomplish which is cycling. I had fish in the tank above and they were fine. If yours are fine, I would wait on the water change and keep testing to see how it is progressing.

So at what levels do I change? 

1 hour ago, Kalita said:

@Daniel was that a planted tank?

Yes,

Here is a photo of that aquarium. I put the water, fish and plants in first week of November and took this photo on November 30, 2021

20643024_30Nov2020Eco.jpg.7f41015d499deb

And for what is worth, I have never ever done a water change on this aquarium. I am not against it, I like changing water, but this tank just hasn't needed one. Since I took the photo at the end of November, the angelfish have spawned.

On 3/20/2021 at 4:17 PM, Daniel said:

Yes,

Here is a photo of that aquarium. I put the water, fish and plants in first week of November and took this photo on November 30, 2021

20643024_30Nov2020Eco.jpg.7f41015d499deb

And for what is worth, I have never ever done a water change on this aquarium. I am not against it, I like changing water, but this tank just hasn't needed one. Since I took the photo at the end of November, the angelfish have spawned.

What is the pH like in a tank without a water change for that long? Did you have a lot of buffer to begin with?

9 hours ago, Daniel said:

Depending on what time of day you measure the pH, it could be as low as 7 or as high as 8. The is no buffer. Here is a graph of the daily fluctuations of pH that photosynthesis causes:

image.png.cebc1adf6422751a82e43034f57c2c96.png

How you getting this live data?

im an ex it guy and teaching out my tank to watch water chemistry would be cool 

4 minutes ago, ScottEsh said:

How you getting this live data?

im an ex it guy and teaching out my tank to watch water chemistry would be cool 

I have Neptune Apex monitoring system with a variety of probes:

300032080_pHcontrols.jpg.3dc9791ec8528b2

Feeds the data through a web interface:

image.png.29c238588a26fc1e1ce0df05df606280.png

It can control just about any device and record data for about 1/2 dozen different kinds of probes. And then I can graph any of the data. Or feed the data back in as input for canned or custom programs that can 'make decisions'.

5 hours ago, Daniel said:

I have Neptune Apex monitoring system with a variety of probes:

300032080_pHcontrols.jpg.3dc9791ec8528b2

Feeds the data through a web interface:

image.png.29c238588a26fc1e1ce0df05df606280.png

It can control just about any device and record data for about 1/2 dozen different kinds of probes. And then I can graph any of the data. Or feed the data back in as input for canned or custom programs that can 'make decisions'.

I’m pretty sure this just broke my brain and is a perfect example for the need for an additional post ranking like a flabbergasted (😳) or mind blown (🤯) emojis

that can’t come cheap especially with all the peripherals.  Does that by enlarge replace water testing with kits or strips?