An Aquarist's Journey

1 hour ago, H20CultureLabs said:

Finally put the boards on top up. I need to finish it as envision it doubling as a bookshelf for my aquarium books. It is so peaceful and enjoyable to just sit and look at it after a long day at work. Not much in the way of fry yet, still working on it.

20210406_210843.jpg

This is looking wonderful! 🤩 One caution about the bookshelf. Depending on how humid your climate is, your books might develop mildew from sitting next to all that water. 

• Thanks 1

In other words, not only is he named after a Sumo wrestler, he eats like one! 😁

20210408_164242.jpg.6c10fa0747b216388c708806e859d61e.jpg   Tateyama → 立山 [standing mountain]

rikishi_4060.jpg.f4da05536716484e28a4c1ed605991bc.jpg   Kototateyama → 琴立山  [zither(-like) standing mountain*]

*Does not translate easily, so my best estimate. 

お見事![Splendidly done!]

Edited by Anita
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

@Anita 

ありがとうございますア二タ先輩!こと立山知らなかった、今私はしります!これcrayfish名前の立山富山にです。

(Thank you very much Anita-senpai, I did not know about Kototateyama, but now I do! This crayfish is named for Mt. Tateyama in Toyama.)

あんたの幹事上手ですよ!私の幹事は上手じゃありません。

(Your kanji is skilled! I am not very skilled in Kanji)

So much fun to type some 日本語 in this forum!

Edited by H20CultureLabs
  • Like 1

I will say, one item of frustration for me is getting my fish to drop another clutch of eggs. I have White Cloud females full of eggs but they refuse to drop them. I think its possible the containers they are in are too small, but I have seen breeding activity in them before. Does anyone have any suggestions? It doesn't matter much as I will be moving them out to the "summer tub" soon, but I would like to see a batch of fry before then.  

Here is a picture of a female who previously had a gorgeous blue color. Unfortunately, in later molts, she turned brown. Other people's anecdotal observations are this occurs due to pH swings. However, this crayfish was raised in the exact same water the entire time and still turned brown.

Screenshot_20210416-090305_Gallery.jpg

The CPO crayfish, the well known and loved orange one, was a very lucky break for the hobby since its coloration remains very stable throughout its life. Other dwarf crayfishes of the same genus (Cambarellus) exhibit an amazing range of coloration and patterns, but unfortunately these change throughout their lives. Here is a gorgeous female C. brazos, but unfortunately she turned brown as well.

20201102_144429.jpg

Edited by H20CultureLabs

That’s very interesting about the crayfish! I’ve noticed my amano shrimp have changed color a bit. To me it looks like they’re shifting between greens and browns to better blend in with their surroundings, since they’ve ended up with different colors in different tanks. It could also be related to water parameters though.

@WhitecloudDynasty may have some tips about getting the females to drop their eggs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1