An Aquarist's Journey

@ChemBob The standard size of egg for a zebra danio, considered to be the model Characin, is .7mm. (Source egg diameter - Zebrafish Danio rerio - BNID 101661 (harvard.edu)) Although egg sizes differ between species, this is a good approximation. The screen I used has a mesh size of approximately 1mm, so the eggs should have some wiggle room to fall through. Rainbow shiners may have larger eggs, this paper may help: Fall 2002 pt. 1 (nanfa.org). It should work well with pencilfish though.

I would experiment a bit, after all, that's half the fun! (and half the frustration). 

• Like 2

To provide a safe and secure 2nd layer of shelving, I utilized a steel floating shelf bracket to not only shore up the shelf to the wall to prevent the entire cabinet structure from tipping, but also to utilize the studs in the wall to hold up some of the weight from the 2nd layer of aquariums.   By making the shelf out of 2 x 6 pine construction lumbar, I have full confidence that it will be able to maintain the 400 lb of weight from the four aquariums which will sit upon it.

20210219_152515.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/23/2021 at 2:21 AM, H20CultureLabs said:
I think this new project of mine is novel because it utilizes a sliding rail system usually used in cabinet making that I have not seen utilized for an aquarium rack. By placing these aquarium on cabinet sliders, the aquarium can be moved away from the shelf they normally rest on, greatly increasing the amount of available aquarium which can be accessed for maintenance and catching of livestock while maintaining a small footprint.  

What fun! Love your thinking-outside-the-box solutions‼️ Looking forward to seeing how it facilitates your fish-breeding goals. 🐟

• Like 1

Ok! Was able to get some more work done. The drain system is now plumbed. The rear bulkheads drain to a 1/2in barb which is connected via vinyl tubing to another 1/2in barb which can connect to an outside PVC drain. This way, the aquariums can move but water changes are easy.

20210305_214251.jpg

20210305_214308.jpg

• Like 4

1 minute ago, H20CultureLabs said:

Here is a spooky picture for everyone; the successful safety test of the top aquariums. Its a bit unnerving seeing 400lbs of water just "hanging" there, but its great to see that it not only works, but it appears to be safe as well. 

That is very impressive!🤩

I wonder, to reduce excessive wear & tear on those drawer slides over time, how about cutting a short length of 2"x4" to create a temporary brace? You could wedge the brace under an extended shelf to help take some of the load off the drawer slide. Just a thought. 🤓

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, H20CultureLabs said:

@AnitaAbsolutely! A great idea and I plan to do so. For quick stuff though, I feel confident that I can slide the aquarium out and grab fish, shrimp, etc for a min or two and slide it back into place.

Exactly! You wouldn't need it for a quick looksee. 👍 ORD 💜

Edited by Anita