An Aquarist's Journey

In each of the shrimp tanks I am using riccia flutians as both natural filtration and a cover for the shrimp. The growth is a soothing green and it is very easy to take care of. I simply tie it to lava rocks from my garden with black thread and drop it in. Shrimp love and my water is crystal clear with just a sponge filter.

20210311_174618.jpg

• Like 8

22 hours ago, H20CultureLabs said:

@Anita and @OceanTruth Unfortunately i have noticed that they need to remain affixed to whichever object they are attached to. It grows quickly and covers the thread it is attached with in a very short amount of time. Next time I make a Riccia stone I'll post it on here.

Oh brother, now you have me Jonesing for some Riccia. 😆 

• Like 3

Looks like it has been almost a fortnite since I last posted; yikes! Really cool update for everyone though. First, the bad news. The first batch of eggs posted fungus'ed on me; I guess I need to wait until the system is a bit more mature. 

Now the good news! I was able to do a bit of wild fish collecting while in Orlando a few days ago. Although I was looking for Elassoma okefenokee, I was very happy to have found a group of Lucania goodei instead! I was able to bring back 5, along with a group of H. formosa and a couple of linned topminnows! 

20210322_172854.jpg

20210324_123118.jpg

• Like 4

@DanielI thought so as well, and had heard from a local fisherman (Instagram Species.Spotlight, I am in no way affiliated but he is a great local resource) they were there. Unfortunately the mud was deep and the weeds were choked with wood. I am excited to return since an aquarist goal of mine is to catch and breed all five non-endangered varieties of Elassoma. 

Edited by H20CultureLabs
Spelling
  • Like 3

Unfortunate news to report, I have lost all of my L. goodei. My guess is they were not as tough as I thought and despite frequent water changes for the ammonia spike, they all ended up dying. Unfortunately, I think the aquarium I placed them in wasn't "seasoned" enough.

Everything else is going well. The tissue culture crypts are starting to convert nicely.

20210329_131638.jpg

20210329_131656.jpg

• Sad 2

The water change system is finally in place and working! So far so good, it is draining well and the water is becoming crystal clear.

The apparatus is meant to be temporary and run once a week for water changes. I wish I had something as fancy as Cory's, but thats for a future project.

16173177166198851633323839887544.jpg

• Like 2