An Aquarist's Journey

@Beardedbillygoat1975 Sorry for the delay, the matala mat is the substrate for them to crawl around, I am not using additional foam. To feed I suck them out with a turkey baster or a syringe. I feed them the cheapest fish food I can find, just a tiny pinch a day and so far have had success without water changes. Happy to answer any additional questions!

• Thanks 1

An update on the Bluefin Killifishes. They really appreciate the extra cover and have been absolutely crushing the baby brine I am giving them. Cory is correct, baby brine is absolutely magical for fish. I am having much higher hopes for them this time around!

Screenshot_20210615-194134_Gallery.jpg

Edited by H20CultureLabs
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Ok, a few updates. We are now on Day 5 of the Bluefin killifish and they are still vigorously accepting baby brine. This is a much better start than last time; the heavily planted tank is providing a huge difference here. They are incredibly shy, but hopefully that changes in time.

20210617_103206.jpg

• Like 4

The Bluefin Killifish continue to thrive! For anyone out there catching wild fish, baby brine, like usual, is absolutely magic for turning a shy fish into an outgoing one. I wish they weren't so difficult to photograph but im working on it. Very fortunately it seems I have several females so hopefully I can turn this into a colony through which others can enjoy this beautiful fish.

Screenshot_20210618-143341_Gallery.jpg

20210618_142358.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 1

There is a real solace in aquariums that is only rivaled by gardening. They have many parallels and the feelings of each are similar. After a difficult nightshift, a quiet moment enjoying the rack greeting a new day is truly cathartic. 

Screenshot_20210619-140309_Gallery.jpg

Edited by H20CultureLabs
  • Like 6

A tale of two tissue cultures. I love tissue cultures, and I love crypt Pink Panther from ADA. Here is an experiment I set up to see if I could grow tissue cultures emersed vs submerged. The idea was that the emersed grown would grow faster and since tissue cultures are emersed, this transition would be easy. The tanks are identical, the fertilizer type and amount was identical, and the substate is identical; black sand. Both tanks had identifcal air ventilation.

As can be seen here, the emersed grown tissue cultures have melted over the past month whereas the submerged ones are thriving. Im not sure why this happened. My best guess is thr fertilizer in the emmersed plant tank was too strong relative to water volume and burned the plants. Anyone have any ideas?

20210623_121623.jpg

20210623_121620.jpg

• Like 2

On 6/23/2021 at 12:26 PM, H20CultureLabs said:

My best guess is thr fertilizer in the emmersed plant tank was too strong relative to water volume and burned the plants. Anyone have any ideas?

That would be my best guess, too. Neat experiment, though!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My latest batch of cherry shrimp fry is finally exhibiting the colors I was going for; rich red color on the young shrimp. Hopefully they will be more consistently of a richer red color as they grow. This line of Neos is incredible; all of the color of a red King Kong without the fragility!

20210627_082105.jpg

• Like 7

A "cool" lesson i learned today is that you can use a heat sealer and the gel cold packs that shipped food and other cold items come in to make your own cold packs for shipping! The water soluable material in the cold packs is Carboxymethyl cellulose and it is super easy to seal in a bag and freeze. Very handy for shipping fish in the summertime!

20210714_164450.jpg

• Like 6

Good morning all! I hope your weekend is going well. I was starting to wonder as I had not had much fish spawning going on in the breeding tank but I was fortunate enough to wake up to this.

There are probably 150 viable eggs in the egg catcher this morning, it looks like a jar of caviar! I thought everyone would enjoy. Lets see how many I can raise.

Screenshot_20210718-085844_Gallery.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Reinvesting the proceeds from fish and shrimp sales into some Bucecephalandra. I'm going to try and grow them on the sponge filters. My theory is that as the sponge filters accumulate mulm, this will act as a steady source of nutrients for these slow-growing plants to encourage fast growth.

Screenshot_20210723-164714_Gallery.jpg

20210723_164833.jpg

• Like 5