An Aquarist's Journey

A fry disaster was discovered today! I noticed that I was not seeing the number of fry that I should have in my green water tank, so I drained it to discover 2 least killifish that I had no idea were in there! They must have eaten most of them, poor little fry. I swear, I'll become good at raising fry one day. 

• Sad 2

@HobbitPreviously I was doing the "catch all and sort" method every 8-10 weeks. I would place all of them on a white bottomed container to better view how much color was in the legs and tails. I would then sell the "cull" shrimp as regular cherry shrimp for a very inexpensive price on Craigslist to quickly move them out of the aquarium rack. Presently, the colony is producing mostly high quality shrimp so when I see a less than ideal one I remove it and place it in the Elassoma/Badis tank. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

An update on the worm farm. I am very please so far with the results! I would say that the number of worms has easily tripled. You can see from the picture that there are distinctive "colonies" of worms growing on the Matala mat. I would like to see how quickly the worms continue to fill in the mesh from here. I will probably still be some weeks yet before I start feeding from it, but the results so far are very encouraging. I think if one was to set up a 10 gallon with a similar set-up, you could grow a very large number of worms. This would be quite useful for anyone looking into breeding Corydoras.  

20210610_141937.jpg

• Like 5

@James BlackThanks mate! It was a great show and honestly a much larger turnout than I expected. I sincerely hope you can attend in the future.

There will certainly be YouTube creator content about it, but the two highlights for me were seeing a White Fly River Turtle and a beautiful low boy filled with Blood Red Cleaner shrimp. (Apparently a personal favorite of Julian Sprungs, per the vendor).

20210612_125443.jpg

20210612_132024.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Switching gears, no trip to Orlando would be complete without a quick collecting trip! I went back to my spot where I caught Lucanea goodei (Bluefin Killifish) to try them again. This time I have a very heavily planted aquarium for them to hopefully grant me greater success. 

Here's what the "ditch" looks like.

20210612_171821.jpg

• Like 2

Its amazing the amount of biodiversity one can find in some Florida water plants. Dip-netting around this patch, I caught gambusia, least killifish, small crappie and panfish, flag fish, sailfin mollies, golden topminnows, a baby bass, grass shrimp, and small crayfish!

20210612_171825.jpg

Edited by H20CultureLabs
  • Like 3

Fortunately, I was able to catch a very nice group of Bluefin Killies as well! Headed home today, hopefully this group is able to acclimate more successfully than the previous group.

(EDIT: I am not sure why the picture is upside down, but I will fix this when I get home)

20210612_175017.jpg

Edited by H20CultureLabs
  • Like 1

Thanks so much @H20CultureLabs! Basic design is tank, matala mat cut to fit the bottom of the tank, and floating plants? Do you put in a piece of foam to get them to crawl into and then place the foam in the tank you’re feeding or how do you approach that? Also do you change the water regularly or how do you approach maintenance? What do you feed them?