An Aquarist's Journey

Just a few quick updates. 

1. The worm farm crashed, so I am restarting it. It probably needs more than 2L of water for how heavily I was feeding it.

2. The Lucanea goodei fry are even larger than their older white cloud tank mates!

3. The Bucephalandra is doing very well on the sponge filters. 

Screenshot_20210728-195656_Gallery.jpg

• Like 5

I've been on vacation in Hawaii (Big Island) the past few days; what a site to see for aquarium/terrarium lovers! Lush forests, amazing terrain, and even a fish farm! I checked out Hawaii Tropical Fish Gardens, an outdoor breeding facility, and was not disappointed! They have outstanding guppies, swordtails, angels, goldfish, and plants. Worth a stop if you're on the Big Island!

20210806_110150.jpg

20210806_110319.jpg

20210806_111402.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 2

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting journal, you have a lot of cool projects and breeding going on. Do you sell fish and ship or just shrimp? Your shrimp look amazing BTW!
Couple questions about your rack if you don’t mind. 1) Your up and running 6 months now right?, any wish I would’ve or minor changes you would make if you started over? 2) Are you using slides as much as anticipated? 3) what’s the clearance between bottom tanks and cross brace for top level? Looks 3-4” any issues with that? 4) what is the overall footprint? Closed then open?

Such a excellent concept, design, and build. Looks very functional and durable.

one more question are these the only tanks you have or do you have show tanks as well?

Excellent work hope to see the long term operations and how they hold up.

• Thanks 1

@AtitagainThank you for your kind words, I am happy to answer your questions. I sell both fish and shrimp, generally on aquabid

. 1) Your up and running 6 months now right?, any wish I would’ve or minor changes you would make if you started over?

-Yes it has been up for about 6 months now.. Since I am always tinkering, when, not if, I do it over again I will use Gladiator shelving instead of wood. I think this will make it more functional and easier to assemble/disassemble. A cleaner look, too.

2) Are you using slides as much as anticipated?

Yes! More than anticipated actually. It makes it so much easier to clean, plant plants, and catch critters!

3) what’s the clearance between bottom tanks and cross brace for top level? Looks 3-4” any issues with that?

I believe its about 4in. No issues since the aquariums slide out.

4) what is the overall footprint? Closed then open?

Is approximately 60inx27in if I remember correctly. The aquariums add about another 16ish inches when pulled out.

I do have a show tank that I have not posted about on here before since it is in a state of being redone. It is a 180 gallon rimless planted. Here is a picture of it when it was at its "peak" about a year ago. Its a slice of heaven for a lucky group of danios and white clouds. I'll be posting more pics of it in the future when I get home from my trip since it is almost ready to show off again.

20200802_165116.jpg

Edited by H20CultureLabs
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

@AtitagainYour profession explains why your fish room set up looks so clean! I have to say, I am very flattered to hear you say I have carpentry experience. Im actually self-taught through 10 years of projects and YouTube, mostly building aquarium-related stuff. 

Very glad to hear you're enjoying me thread, I am enjoying yours as well! 

• Like 1

This has been a very interesting read.

Your rack design is intriguing with the slides. I can definitely see how it would make maintenance easier. How does the drain line work as the tank slides?

The way you're culturing microfauna is going to take me down a terrible rabbit hole.

• Like 1

@Vanish Good question. The drain line is removable to allow to the aquarium to slide without being attached to a fix point. When I redo this, I plan on plumbing them to a sump using non-kink hot tub hose like this: https://www.lowes.com/pd/EZ-FLO-1-1-2-in-Inner-Diameter-x-1-ft-PVC-Spa-Flex-Hose/1000180599?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_-prd-_-plb-_-google-_-plumbing-_-LIA_PLB_142_Pipe-Fittings-_-1000180599-_-0-_-0&ds_rl=1286981&gclid=Cj0KCQjw1ouKBhC5ARIsAHXNMI_iyA9QRYTS8ZcBELNB4X52uGljllhIOezynLDI08RlI5tqqthIWAoaAjEKEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Happy to answer any microfauna questions!

Trying out a new Crypt growing strategy. These are plastic cups with earthworm castings in them (kinda like poor man's aquasoil). We're gonna see how quickly these Crypts can grow. 

The CPD fry look great! I probably have about 100 CPDs in total right now. My new goal for this aquarium rack is to figure out how to set the system up to give me 1000 CPDs in 4 weeks. An aspirational goal, but I think it is achievable with some tweeking.

20210926_070459.jpg

20210926_070410.jpg

• Like 4