Why do I always order live plants and fish during bad weather?

Hobbit

Two days ago I ordered plants from the co-op.

Why? Why did I do it? I live on the east coast. I’m sending those poor plants and those poor mail people through the entire polar vortex.

Last time I ordered plants it was also during a cold snap. The mail was slow and only 2/3 plants ended up surviving.

And the one time I tried to buy fish on eBay it was *also* during a cold snap. That didn’t turn out well either.

Anyway. I’m confusing myself. But at least I know my decal sticker will survive.

• Like 3

I feel ya. Especially in the depths of February, I just want to retreat to lush tropical fish world!

If it's any consolation, I've ordered plants from the co-op way WAY more often this winter than I care to admit, and they've all done really well. But then I do also have a PO box, so they get to sit cozy warm on a post office shelf til I can go get them. If mail-order fish and plants are going to be a regular thing for you, you might want to consider it, as PO boxes aren't too expensive.

• Like 1

I just ordered plants from the Co-op a couple days ago too, and they're already almost here.  Maybe they'll sneak through the ice blockade okay!

I just put in my first order to Aquahuna at the end of last week, expecting them to go out early this week.  They've suspended all orders due to the nasty weather and poor shipping predictability, so I'm not any better at timing my orders than you are 🙂 

• Administrators
29 minutes ago, Hobbit said:

Two days ago I ordered plants from the co-op.

Why? Why did I do it? I live on the east coast. I’m sending those poor plants and those poor mail people through the entire polar vortex.

Last time I ordered plants it was also during a cold snap. The mail was slow and only 2/3 plants ended up surviving.

And the one time I tried to buy fish on eBay it was *also* during a cold snap. That didn’t turn out well either.

Anyway. I’m confusing myself. But at least I know my decal sticker will survive.

Let us know how they arrive. Right now with so many weather events around the country. Shipping is tricky. We'll reship if the plants don't survive.

Just a couple weeks ago I ordered plant from the Co-Op.  I was home when packaged arrived.  I wondered about the temperature so I scanned the box as I was bringing it it (30 ish) after opening the box I scanned the inside of the new plant zip lock shipping bag.  It was 55 degrees.   

• Like 2

@Hobbit I received a plant order, from the Co-Op, a few days ago & everything was green & lush.  Am in eastern Pennsylvania and it took 4 days, I believe, from order to receipt of plants.  Not too bad, considering the package traveled across the entire country.  I find the plants actually ship better in the colder weather, than in the hot summertime for me.  

I've never had any problems with plants and cold weather, fortunately.  Co-op plants always look amazing...haven't needed that new heat pack thingy yet.  Other vendors I use (because Co-op doesn't sell all the plants I want....which is basically all the plants in the world...if it can grow underwater, it's going in my tank, LOL), are hit-or-miss.  But the hit-or-miss-ness is not at all related to weather.  From Buce Plants and ALA, just sometimes the plants arrive "meh" and then melt.  Just recently, I got one tissue culture each of Hygrophila pinnatifida from ADA and Tropica (from ALA).  The ADA one is doing stellar, the Tropica one totally melted in 3 days.  I ordered from Aquarium Plants Factory once and all the plants were great.  But Co-Op's are the healthiest (especially dwarf baby tears...I absolutely woudn't order it from anywhere else...and their anubias has such a robust root structure, it's awesome).  I wish Aquarium Co-Op could just sell all the plants ... 😆🤣 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. 😄 I’m not overly worried, I’m just kicking myself for picking such awful times to order things. I know the co-op packages its plants really well, and maybe I’ll even get one of those fancy reusable green bags! I’m glad everyone else is having such good experiences. @Cory I’ll let you know how things look, but I’m sure they’ll be fine.

I definitely think part of the co-op’s success with plants is that you grow them submersed before selling. It makes sense!

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one that shoots from the hip and orders plants at the worst possible times.............

Then worries about them the entire time they are being shipped. I always have good healthy plants from the co-op with little to no melt back. But some other vendors that I buy from,  ehhhh. 

I have done the same thing. I ordered plants from the coop a couple weeks ago, they took exactly a week to arrive at my door from when they were shipped, no issues. Last week I won some in a raffle online and they were shipped last Saturday, and supposed to be here today, and they've been through several places that have been really cold, my area included. Hopefully that pack the plants as good as the coop does.

I think @Kirsten is spot on -- cold weather outside increases our doting on improving aquaria inside. Shipping live fish has also been complicated by slow mail delivery in US, as COVID keeps staffing low in some major mail transfer facilities. I want to heartily agree with all the positive feedback here, Co-Op does a remarkable job shipping plants and dry goods in a timely and secure way. 

• Like 1

To me its because we're inside and the weather is bad; we might have cabin fever; we look at our aquariums and see bare spots - go online "just to see what they have" or see if "that plant I've been wanting is back in stock". MTS comes with a lot of accessories. 

• Like 1

One LFS around me has terrible looking plants near me. The other is kind of a tough drive in the snow, and is hit and miss with their selection. I have 3 tanks primarily filled with co-op plants. 

I am setting up a 10 gallon in my office at work. I have all the plants I want in my cart,  and am confident they will show up healthy. The packaging is always what is needed, but shipping to the Cleveland area from Washington in this weather is tough. It is taking all my will power to wait until the weather is better and the mail is not delivering stuff super late. I am still getting stuff mailed in December about once a week.  

Patience will set me up for success, but me being patient not as likely as it should be. 

• Like 2

They arrived! A little wilted but not even a dead leaf! (Edit: okay when I was planting I found a few dead leaves. 😄)

I ordered on the 15 and they arrived on the 24th. Very impressive for eight terrible days in the mail.

C6D3E7ED-5E0D-4DE3-B760-56A027C84E86.jpeg.bb4b7d730c265d7796c98b27c120cb8b.jpeg

And the rest of the haul that came with it 😁

D87E6268-9C08-4747-ADCB-D6909371E156.jpeg.d36bfe6fc66bc2a95af5362d564bb540.jpeg

Thank you @Cory, @Randy and team!

Edited by Hobbit
  • Like 8

• Administrators

With all the extreme weather this last week, it crippled planes, there were like 6 airports shut down. If any of those don’t bounce back reach out to customer service and we will get em replaced for ya.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2021 at 1:17 PM, Hobbit said:

They arrived! A little wilted but not even a dead leaf! (Edit: okay when I was planting I found a few dead leaves. 😄)

I ordered on the 15 and they arrived on the 24th. Very impressive for eight terrible days in the mail.

C6D3E7ED-5E0D-4DE3-B760-56A027C84E86.jpeg.bb4b7d730c265d7796c98b27c120cb8b.jpeg

And the rest of the haul that came with it 😁

D87E6268-9C08-4747-ADCB-D6909371E156.jpeg.d36bfe6fc66bc2a95af5362d564bb540.jpeg

Thank you @Cory, @Randy and team!

That is great news!

• Like 1