What fish do you just not get?

FrozenFins

On 2/14/2021 at 12:55 PM, Tanked said:

Bettas. 

When I see the Bettas lined up on shelves like a vending machine at the LFS, I have to wonder why you would want a fish that can't stand to be around it's own kind. 

I can understand why people like the colors and variations, but I haven't seen one yet that looked good in those baseball sized prisons.

In fairness to most people, and to the LFS, those little jars are not intended for the fish to spend their life in. Just as a way to display many fish on the least amount of Real Estate. Buying one then setting it up at home with a ten gallon or more is hopefully the norm. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Daniel said:

A funny things about this thread...if I were to ask 'What are your favorite fish', I would get nearly identical answers to what everyone has posted here!

Just goes to show you..vive la différence.

I was thinking that as well. I was surprised by some of the fish posted. I’m so glad everyone’s tastes vary a bit. How boring would it be if we all kept the same fish. Lol.

• Like 3

I don't really get stingrays. They're absurdly expensive. They get huge. They can seriously injure you with their stinger. They need enormous tanks. And they just lie there most of the time like a floor mat. Maybe if I kept them I'd feel differently, but the odds of me keeping them is zero. Kudos to those who love them, but I'm not one of those people. I want more from a fish than it being an expensive, hard to feed floor mat that could seriously injure me. They just don't do anything for me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Okay I have another controversial one:

Platies: Okay I've never gotten the appeal of platies. I mean, they are colorful and all, but they seem kind of boring and generic. I prefer the look of mollies or guppies much more. Years later though, I am probably going to look back at this and I'll probably going to be keeping platies in half my tanks lol.

On 2/14/2021 at 3:47 PM, Kirsten said:

I find it's strangely hard to get myself psyched for angelfish.

Maybe it's their color ways of white, black, silver, silver and black, silver with more black, slightly bluish or greenish silver with black, oh, this one has some orange but only if you feed it tons of orange food.

Maybe it's their red eyes and scowly faces, or their bony finger feeler things, or their aggression with other tank mates, or all their special needs due to their height, or the feeling like, sooner or later, everyone gets at least one angelfish, but I'm still not feeling it.

I mean, I'll probably get one one day and love it, but I'm happy to put it off for awhile.

I'm not trying to change your mind, but I have a koi angelfish that has a significant amount of orange, and I haven't noticed any change in the amount of orange related to feeding.  It certainly doesn't get much orange food.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, JettsPapa said:

I'm not trying to change your mind, but I have a koi angelfish that has a significant amount of orange, and I haven't noticed any change in the amount of orange related to feeding.  It certainly doesn't get much orange food.

Fascinating! I've read elsewhere that koi angels aren't "naturally" orange and can only develop that coloration if fed high-protein diets high in beta carotene-like vitamins like BBS. Sort of like flamingoes only getting pink because of all the shrimp they eat. But there's so much crazy information out there, it's hard to figure out who's right.

But yeah, I'm still thinking about, theoretically, if I were to get a pair or two of angels, it would have to be a giant tank, like 75g or more, and koi angels would be at the top of the list.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kirsten said:

Fascinating! I've read elsewhere that koi angels aren't "naturally" orange and can only develop that coloration if fed high-protein diets high in beta carotene-like vitamins like BBS. Sort of like flamingoes only getting pink because of all the shrimp they eat. But there's so much crazy information out there, it's hard to figure out who's right.

But yeah, I'm still thinking about, theoretically, if I were to get a pair or two of angels, it would have to be a giant tank, like 75g or more, and koi angels would be at the top of the list.

I have not read that, and mine is fed a wide variety of stuff, including frozen foods, flakes, Bug Bites, TetraMin granules, Hikari Micro Pellets, etc.

On 2/14/2021 at 3:47 PM, Kirsten said:

I find it's strangely hard to get myself psyched for angelfish.

Maybe it's their color ways of white, black, silver, silver and black, silver with more black, slightly bluish or greenish silver with black, oh, this one has some orange but only if you feed it tons of orange food.

Maybe it's their red eyes and scowly faces, or their bony finger feeler things, or their aggression with other tank mates, or all their special needs due to their height, or the feeling like, sooner or later, everyone gets at least one angelfish, but I'm still not feeling it.

I mean, I'll probably get one one day and love it, but I'm happy to put it off for awhile.

3 hours ago, JettsPapa said:

After looking at both of these posts, it got me wondering. So I searched it up, here is what a angelfish breeder said about the orange in koi angelfish:

Koi Angelfish Color Genetics  This is a fish with a very complex color genetic makeup. The only known gene interactions are from Gold Marble and Stripeless alleles. There is great variability in the expression of orange pigment, but the total number of genes involved is not known. The requirements to get good expression are also not completely understood. A non-stressing environment is very important and foods containing carotenoids are also necessary for developing and maintaining color. Angelfish cannot produce orange pigment. They can only get it from their food. So, if your foods do not contain carotenoids, your koi will have no orange. Don't worry too much about the foods, since most commonly available fish foods contain a good amount of these carotenoids. We recommend freeze-dried plankton, freeze-dried brine shrimp,  krill meal and a good color flake or pellet.

Before reading this article I thought "hmm... that doesn't make sense, I haven't relized my koi angelfish loose any of that yellowish/ orange color. But after reading this article because it states that most commonly available fish foods contain a good amount of these cartenoids (which is what keeps the orangeish color on angelfish) 

My understanding of Cartenoids is a category of foods that enchanse a red/ orange/ yellowish coloration. In this article is reccemoends different kinds of cartenoids: "We recommend freeze-dried plankton, freeze-dried brine shrimp,  krill meal and a good color flake or pellet." 

To read more:

https://angelsplus.com/pages/koi-color-explained

Edited by James Black
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, James Black said:

But after reading this article because it states that most commonly available fish foods contain a good amount of these cartenoids (which is what keeps the orangeish color on angelfish) 

Oooh, that IS good to know! Good find!

Darn it, now you've got me thinking about what dither fish would look good with koi angelfish. Black skirt tetras? Wish they made a tetra that was a ghost knifefish...

1 hour ago, Kirsten said:

Oooh, that IS good to know! Good find!

Darn it, now you've got me thinking about what dither fish would look good with koi angelfish. Black skirt tetras? Wish they made a tetra that was a ghost knifefish...

They need dither fish?  In any case, I have Lake Kutubu rainbowfish, black neon tetras, lemon tetras, and panda corys with mine.  (I really like the way the colors of the rainbows and tetras complement each other.)

Goldfish in an aquarium?  I don’t get it.  Fat and dirty.  I understand them for ponds, but not my living room. Also oscars and cichlids, don’t get it. I only own 2 aquariums and wouldn’t want to limit myself so much. If I had a bunch of tanks or a fish room, I think I may get it. But I don’t get it right now.  Also I’m a fan of shrimp and snails. Those fish in my aquariums would upset me 

Arowana and Oscars

Arowana just freak me out. They remind me of Muskie. I love kayaking and to many times I will look down into the water only to see a Muskie or Pike staring back up at me. Also the idea of having such a large and solitary fish is sad. Oscars arent much different in that regard. 

I dont hate them, just not my forte. 

What I truly cant stand are transparent fish. The only exception are shrimp. I just cant... To me, if I can see into my fish, they are sick. I really wish articulated hillstream loaches didnt have such a clear belly. They look amazing top down... but on the glass? Pass!

• Like 1