my 20 long hopefully jungle

Lemon

this is the journal for my 20 long planted tank 

equipment 

30in finnex stingray

aquarium co op 40 gallon sponge

tetra whisper 100 air pump split with a 10 gallon(I know its massive for just a 10 and a 20)

100w eheim heater with inkbird controller
ecocomplete substrate 

piece of Malaysian wood

current video 

current stock 

3 neon tetras I have 6 more in qt

1 pygmy cory I will be upping the school to 6-12 

some plants(java fern, anubias it was sold as nana petite but I'm not sure, random stem plant, 2 crypt wendtii bronze, random crypt my lfs had, tiger lotus)

Edited by quirkylemon103
  • Like 5

Sounds like this can become a beautiful aquatic jungle! Do you have any "visionary" photo-ideas displaying how you hope the plants will all grown in? 

@James Black shared a great link from Tropica a little while ago simply titled "Inspiration" -- lots of wonderful, finished aquascapes to inspire, along with rough sketches of how the hardscape is set up: https://tropica.com/en/inspiration/ 

• Like 1

I don't want to be able to see the back wall because of plants. and lots of hiding places for shrimp and fish. maybe being able to sustain a trio of scarlet badis without having to feed them not really a goal just something I think would be cool.

also forgot to add for the plant list

banana plant, crypt Wendtii that isn't textured maybe from high light or it isn't a Wendtii 

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Daniel said:

Go up to the first post, choose edit, then from there upload a thumbnail (limited to a 1 mb picture). Or post a photo and I will put in there for you.

Now I know who changes all the thumbnails to fun things...I am delighted!! 😆👍👍

I feel confident that the crypts will recover - lovely tank!!!  Your tetras are so bright and fun!

Edited by Betsy
Gotta talk about the tank, too!!

1 hour ago, Betsy said:

Now I know who changes all the thumbnails to fun things...I am delighted!! 😆👍👍

I feel confident that the crypts will recover - lovely tank!!!  Your tetras are so bright and fun!

If you ever wonderd who did something on the forum its probably @Daniel. From fixing spelling mistakes, to changing titles, to uploading thumbnails, this guy does it all.

• Like 2

I added a rock I bought from my lfs a while ago, I moved the Anubias and whatever stem plant was in the left corner. Do you know what they are called? I might have a amazon sword coming. But it was supposed to get here 2 days ago and it is still in transit. Does anyone have experience on growing ivy cuttings on the tank? Where the roots are in the water.

@quirkylemon103You are well on your way and as Betsy said your crypt leaves will recover, if you want to speed the process up a bit trim the damaged leaves off just above the rosette so the plant no longer wastes nutrients and energy on the doomed leaf. You said you don't want to see the back of the tank because of plants, try some Ludwigia, I have to cut mine back every week, and it's getting harder each time to find takers since all my friends have some by now, a few stems of Lobelia cardinalis would be another option, or some swords. If you want something for the foreground and midground Staurogyne repens in the front and some Helanthium quadricostatus in the midground would also add to the jungle look. You've seen most of these already in my tank, except for the Helanthium quadricostatus which I was unable to find anywhere at the time. Sometimes it helps to look at the pictures of the plants and draw up a diagram from above of where you want to plant them to visualize the end product. In my tank I had to exclude quite a few plants I like because I wanted to keep my tank at a somewhat higher than most temperature for the Cardinals and Rummynoses while still not having it anywhere near Discus and Blue Ram temps.

• 1 month later...

video 

IMG_2954.JPG.038ffe79b7834c2d15e3639da9740ba3.JPGIMG_2955.JPG.508237c511242014cdda3fc32a55789a.JPG

@Jungle Fando you think this amazon sword is too close to the wood and glass?IMG_2958.JPG.68ef90a68e34de7a2a778cfae8c8a9f7.JPGIMG_2959.JPG.f7cf070bae29c1a83da407010eed85a6.JPG

I guess some of the picture had iphone filters on them so they look kinda weird 

IMG_2956.JPG

does anyone have an idea on what type of eggs those might be I have snail(most likely), 3 neon tetras, 5 true pearl danios(not celestial), 1 pygmy cory

Edited by quirkylemon103
  • Like 5

@quirkylemon103 in my experience proximity to wood or the glass is primarily an aesthetic consideration in regards to Amazon swords, they are very hardy once established and I have yet to see a sword plant let its growth be influenced by constraint, however the concern of the sword overshadowing other plants and cutting off their light is something to be considered but that can be easily solved by aggressive pruning. Since I grow my swords as background plants, most of mine are fairly close to the back wall and as the plant grows pruning becomes an unavoidable necessity.

They look like my snails eggs.  My pond snails have clusters of eggs encapsulated in a jelly like substance.  I think most fish have individual eggs.  Nerite snails also spread individual eggs.  Depends on type of snails but I would guess they are snail eggs .

31 minutes ago, gregoryord said:

They look like my snails eggs.  My pond snails have clusters of eggs encapsulated in a jelly like substance.  I think most fish have individual eggs.  Nerite snails also spread individual eggs.  Depends on type of snails but I would guess they are snail eggs .

ok do remove them or just let the tank decide(predators, food, etc) how many snails there are going to be

46 minutes ago, Jungle Fan said:

@quirkylemon103 in my experience proximity to wood or the glass is primarily an aesthetic consideration in regards to Amazon swords, they are very hardy once established and I have yet to see a sword plant let its growth be influenced by constraint, however the concern of the sword overshadowing other plants and cutting off their light is something to be considered but that can be easily solved by aggressive pruning. Since I grow my swords as background plants, most of mine are fairly close to the back wall and as the plant grows pruning becomes an unavoidable necessity.

ok cool 🙂

how do you recommend pruning in tight spaces?