What is your favorite plant?

FriendlyLoach

@FriendlyLoach, I really like water sprite and so do my Platy fish, lol.  They usually eat it down to a nub in a matter of a few days. Water sprite is in some of my other aquariums and it's a great plant.  

@MickS77, Originally, I couldn't grow Java Fern well at all.  Experimented with nutrients and seems like Potassium & especially Iron really helped my plants.  

My favorite plants are Pogostemon Stellatus Octopus, Jungle Val & Anubias Barterii, but if I had to choose only one it would be the Vallisneria.  

Currently using medium light, some fertilizers and no CO2.  

• Like 1

Oh gosh, what a question. Hmm i love salvinia, and amazon frog bit for floaters. Anubias has that strong, im a plant look at my leaves thing going on. I think for all time favorite tho, i have to go with the banana plant. Whats not to love, with its unique tubers, green leaves, lily runners, small cute package, and supposedly (although i havent gotten mine to do so) they can produce white flowers that float on top. Is there nothing this plant cant do?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Martin said:

With my lack of experience, I will say my aponogeton.  I love the ruffled leaves and how lush it looks!

I love this plant too! I ordered what I thought was Madagascar lace plant, but turned out to be a giant Aponogeton (Not from the Co-Op). The only problem is that it quickly outgrew my 30 G! I've had to re-home it and I hope it lives a very good life! I definitely have a soft spot for plants that grow big and lush with no effort from me!

16 hours ago, wilkyb said:

Egeria Densa — it’s lush & green, it’s a stem plant, it grows and grows and grows, and all kinds of fish & bottom dwellers love interacting with it

Had to look this one up - we used to call this anacharis! I've had very good luck with this plant in a snail jar. It sort of became a self sustaining ecosystem (of course I fed the snails too). 

2 minutes ago, Cyndi said:

Had to look this one up - we used to call this anacharis! I've had very good luck with this plant in a snail jar. It sort of became a self sustaining ecosystem (of course I fed the snails too). 

That’s exactly what I’m using it for — my jar aquariums

BF5075D6-8479-436F-A6A6-3CEDF4C0E2BB.jpeg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wilkyb said:

That’s exactly what I’m using it for — my jar aquariums

BF5075D6-8479-436F-A6A6-3CEDF4C0E2BB.jpeg

Looks like a pretty intense set-up - so cool! Is that pipe an outlet? I'm gonna guess this is fairly new since your plants haven't filled the jar yet. I'm also curious what that Plant is in the back - mangrove???

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Cyndi said:

I love this plant too! I ordered what I thought was Madagascar lace plant, but turned out to be a giant Aponogeton (Not from the Co-Op). The only problem is that it quickly outgrew my 30 G! I've had to re-home it and I hope it lives a very good life! I definitely have a soft spot for plants that grow big and lush with no effort from me!

Lol, that's gonna be a problem then since mine is a 10 gallon!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cyndi said:

"Aponogeton" is the family of bulb plants from Madagascar including Madagascar lace plant and other aquatic bulbs. Their for when you say aponogeton it refers to the family of bulbs, I personally find it exciting to figure out exactly what plants I have, but maybe that stems from my botany background. 

14 hours ago, Martin said:

With my lack of experience, I will say my aponogeton.  I love the ruffled leaves and how lush it looks!

Without an image when I hear ruffle leaves I think you have, Aponogeton crispus.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cyndi said:

Looks like a pretty intense set-up - so cool! Is that pipe an outlet? I'm gonna guess this is fairly new since your plants haven't filled the jar yet. I'm also curious what that Plant is in the back - mangrove???

Yeah it's a pipe outlet! I've cut a hole in the bottom of the glass vase and fit a 90' elbow and a 3/16" pipe with gorilla glue epoxy. The pipe rests above the water level and is held to the container by an elastic band. When I remove the elastic & lower the pipe as far down as it goes (about 6" below the bottom of the vase) then gravity has the elevated water pushing the dirty water collecting at the bottom out the pipe!

I plan on gifting / selling these things to pass the time in the Winter. I am developing a pool/pond business up here in Ontario and this hobby fits the theme of my business. If not to make some money with it, then at least it keeps me busy and my friends & family appreciate the effort, the simplicity, and the beauty of the whole shebang!

Yes, it's a fairly new aquarium, about 2 weeks old! There are also 2 cherry shrimp in there! The plant on the rock is anubias conogensis.

I also tossed some carpet seeds that weren't growing so well in another jar aquarium, you can see them attached to the anubias & elsewhere.

Edited by wilkyb
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Squid88 said:

"Aponogeton" is the family of bulb plants from Madagascar including Madagascar lace plant and other aquatic bulbs. Their for when you say aponogeton it refers to the family of bulbs, I personally find it exciting to figure out exactly what plants I have, but maybe that stems from my botany background. 

Without an image when I hear ruffle leaves I think you have, Aponogeton crispus.

I love figuring it out, only lace plant is more expensive. I didn’t complain though, because I believe Cory did a video a while back (livestream?) where he said a typhoon took out the aponogeton farms and all that’s left are slim pickins’

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Martin said:

I believe it is aponogeton bigus giganticus

that looks like a really cool plant! I wasn't able to find any information on that variety. I got a huge Madagascar lace plant from my LFS the other day and I just love the look of bulb plants now. PXL_20210130_211958699.jpg.e4d399aaf5c489cd6cfb0f52e1b41767.jpg

• Like 2