Too much BBS?

WhitecloudDynasty

Ok i have to hear you guys/gals thought on this. 

Same parents, 2pair , 2 different set.

First set have an huge under bite, and second set is 100% fine. They are about 1 month apart in age.  They are raise the same, in a 10 gallon bare bottom, with 1 sponge filter, almost same control, other than feed.

Can it be genetic? Environment? Feed? 

I'm guessing is due to feeding too much bbs? First batch was born around the same time I was feeding bbs to my rainbow shiner fry, so they got bbs twice a day from 2week to 8week of age with their normal .1mm pellets.

Second batch didn't get that luxury, they would have gotten at most 2 weeks of bbs before I stopped.

So the question is..

is too much bbs bad? Will this genetic carry on to their fry? 

I would like to hear from you @Dean’s Fishroom since you bred in high number and @Cory with your experience. Plus everyone else since i can't tag you all lol

In nature GNA can change and adjust/adapt to new obstacles pretty quick. I highly doubt ill use the first batch in any of my breeding programs to be on the safe side.

Edited by WhitecloudDynasty

28 minutes ago, Cory said:

I myself have never seen a problem with brine long term when breeding. I've heard that microworms can cause problems with bettas, but haven't seen that in fish I've bred with brine.

My rainbow shiner are fine on bbs. 

This is the only thing that is different from the 2 batch. 

White cloud is a species that are ment to eat mainly from the surface and with bbs in front of them the whole time, can it cause it? Is it a bad habit that force the body to adapt?

19 hours ago, WhitecloudDynasty said:

it would be a interesting experiment. 

I'm going to try feed bbs heavily again and see if I can recreate this. 

Maybe split one batch of fry from a single pair of parents into two halves? One half heavily fed with BBS and another half (not-so-heavily fed with BBS) for control? With all other variables kept as identical as possible, this kind of experiment might produce a meaningful conclusion.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Fonske said:

Maybe split one batch of fry from a single pair of parents into two halves? One half heavily fed with BBS and another half (not-so-heavily fed with BBS) for control? With all other variables kept as identical as possible, this kind of experiment might produce a meaningful conclusion.

I hate to lose another batch but this worth finding out

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I know I’m just looking at pictures and the fish could just be caught open-mouthed, but it looks to me like there are one or two in your second batch with the same problem? Maybe?

Is this the first and second batch you’ve ever gotten from this female/pair/set? And are you putting multiple males in with one female?

Just trying to think of other variables here. I saw from your other thread that you had to cull a lot to select your breeding adults. My guess is that this is genetic. Either you got “lucky,” or something in the first batch caused the bad gene(s) to get expressed.

There are also factors we can’t control like minor infections that we probably never see.

9 hours ago, Hobbit said:

I know I’m just looking at pictures and the fish could just be caught open-mouthed, but it looks to me like there are one or two in your second batch with the same problem? Maybe?

Is this the first and second batch you’ve ever gotten from this female/pair/set? And are you putting multiple males in with one female?

Just trying to think of other variables here. I saw from your other thread that you had to cull a lot to select your breeding adults. My guess is that this is genetic. Either you got “lucky,” or something in the first batch caused the bad gene(s) to get expressed.

There are also factors we can’t control like minor infections that we probably never see.

First and second batch came from the same 2 pairing about 30ish fry each. 

If it was genetic it should show up on some of the second batch fry also, but they are pretty clean. 

22 hours ago, FrostiesFishes said:

I’ve be interested in your test results . But if I had to guess I’d say it has something to do with the water quality.  But hard to know. 

Water should be close to the same, there was only about 20-25 fry per tank and I do 80% water twice a week if they need it or not. 

• Like 1