Hi I’m Patrick on Vashon Island near Seattle

Patrick_G

Shortly after lockdown started my wife set  up a jar with some moss balls. Nine months later we have four nano tanks and are setting up a 75 gal. I guess we’ve been hooked! 
We have a community tank, two shrimp tanks and a dwarf frog/Betta tank. 

In the past I’ve kept community fish and raised cichlids. 

Hi Patrick, welcome to the forums! I had taken a very long break from the hobby, but then I too kept a few mossballs in bowls on the windowsill on a whim. After that I bought a 5 gallon and next thing you know, I was back hard core into the hobby once again. 

Nice looking tanks! The pic with the cat cracks me up.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, H.K.Luterman said:

Hi Patrick, welcome to the forums! I had taken a very long break from the hobby, but then I too kept a few mossballs in bowls on the windowsill on a whim. After that I bought a 5 gallon and next thing you know, I was back hard core into the hobby once again. 

Nice looking tanks! The pic with the cat cracks me up.

I’ve been watching your channel. Your catfish is really great. My family loves it. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Toobit67 said:

Welcome to the Forum... Your tanks look fantastic!  Looking forward to more pics,, I'm about to order my first ever shrimp... how long have you had them?

I’ve only had them since mid Nov, so about three months. I honestly haven’t had good luck. My first batch of very small  mixed neocardinia was massacred in my community tank by dwarf frogs. I’m trying the shrimp/snail only tanks in hopes of breeding enough to restock the community tank, but I’m slowly losing shrimp to unknown causes. (The frogs have been banished) 

16 minutes ago, OlsonAquatics said:

Welcome to the forum!

How much experience with the shrimp do you have? I keep thinking of putting some in with my betta, but don't want to add too much to the bioload.

Not much experience, but small shrimp would fit in my Betta’s mouth. 

Maybe with the right betta and full grown shrimp? If it worked it would be a great combo. 

My shrimp tanks seem to produce lots of nitrates, but I have a mystery snail in each tank so that might be the culprit. 

18 minutes ago, Streetwise said:

@Patrick_G, I like that you are running your Fluval Plant Nano in the tall configuration in your first photo. I thought that my cat might enjoy watching the fish, but he likes watching the bubbles, and drinking tank water.

IMG_2352.JPG.83e4bae7fdba5a4ebfd595dd5a281ae6.JPG

haha, some serious light for those buckets! 

I love the Fluval 3.0 but I need to make a little extender to get it centered over the 14” tank. 

I’m glad the shop staff at the Coop talked me into it.  It’s more than enough light for the 14” depth even at 50%. 

I had to get creative with Nanos for my Askoll 20, and 16 gallon Bow, before Fluval came out with the 15" model, and I also recently went with window light for a pair of tanks.

When I got the 15" models for those tanks, I used my spare Nanos on buckets and tubs.

BTW, welcome to the forum! I hope that you find the community welcoming and helpful.

Edited by Streetwise
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Andy's Fish Den said:

I'm intrigued by the owlet sitting there. Did you just happen to notice it sitting there or what? I used to volunteer at my local park district working with injured raptors that are used for educational purposes, and love the birds of prey.

Last spring we had two baby Barred owls on our property. After fledging it took them several weeks to learn how to take care of themselves. It was really fun to watch, and the fish in the 24” deep patio pond were safe. The little Owls realized quickly that they couldn’t stand on the floating plants. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1