What should I do with my fish food

Bruce

I attached a picture with all my fish foods minus some duckweed, live brine, frozen brine and frozen mysis shrimps. I have two tanks one with 6 cory cats, 6 Harlequin Rasboras, 1 Betta and the other has a single fan tailed goldfish. I have all these foods but I don't see myself finishing them in a timely manner. I don't have freezer space for all these foods what should I do?

PXL_20210131_220306671.jpg

I don't know what to do with the plankton I bought it to support a local Fish Store but I now know none of my fish take to it. The tetra color I rarely feed because I prefer to feed whole foods or pellets. What should I do with those?

You could try vacuum sealing some food if you intend on using them later. I buy big bags of koi food take what i use in 2-3 months seal the rest and keep it in a cool dark place in my garage. 

I usually give my oldest food to my snail tub I keep outside but you probably aren't doing something like that haha.

• Thanks 1

I'd start by getting rid of anything your fish don't love or you don't like feeding. No point in keeping foods you probably won't end up using. If you don't want to throw them out you can find a local fishkeeping group and post them for free.

There are plenty of ways to extend the shelf life of the rest. If you don't have freezer space you can put them in the fridge. Vacuum sealing is also an option.

Creating a feeding schedule could also help. It won't make the food last longer, but it will help make sure you have using them all regularly.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, James Black said:

I would pick the foods your fish like the most, and use those. The rest you could find a place for them and put them away. Fish Food takes awhile to expire.

I have actually heard different. My old bosses college professor did a lot of work on fish nutrition, and they found that after 6ish months the nutrients in the food start degrading. At 6 to 9 months it's still worth feeding, but that can that you have had in the closet for 2 years is probably no good anymore, even if it hasn't "gone bad"

Now, this work was done 25+ years ago, so perhaps food is more stable these days, I can't really speak to that. I would be curious to see if there have been studies done in the last 5ish years on this.

I have shrimp and snails in with my pea puffers. They are a food source for the puffers. Any food that my other fish truly hate I put in that tank to fuel the factory, because shrimp and snails eat anything, and the puffers ignore the dry food no matter what.

Interestingly I have found my fish eat better when I am fairly consistent. I feed one kind of flake at a time (usually bug bites). If I switch it up daily, it is like they get picky. I feed one kind of "pellet" to a given tank (vibrabites/cichlid gold/betta bio gold depending on fish size/type) Then I feed a rotation of frozen food and bbs. It seems like they "recognize" a flake, bite it, get the "wrong" flavor and spit it out. Often in a day or two they go nuts for the same thing they rejected before. Sort of like you might do if you thought you were about to eat a bite of melon and ended up with a piece of rare steak. Both are food, but the surprise would be unwelcome. I am probably dramatically anthropomorphizing. 

The only fish that has a problem with my frozen food rotation is the angel fish--he ONLY likes adult frozen brine shrimp and gets thoroughly miffed if the cube I drop in is anything else.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Squeegee79 said:

I have actually heard different. My old bosses college professor did a lot of work on fish nutrition, and they found that after 6ish months the nutrients in the food start degrading. At 6 to 9 months it's still worth feeding, but that can that you have had in the closet for 2 years is probably no good anymore, even if it hasn't "gone bad"

Now, this work was done 25+ years ago, so perhaps food is more stable these days, I can't really speak to that. I would be curious to see if there have been studies done in the last 5ish years on this.

interesting....

I read that fish food will still be good up to 3 months past the expirey date. I used to feed tetra flakes and it said a few years till expirey.

Just now, James Black said:

interesting....

I read that fish food will still be good up to 3 months past the expirey date. I used to feed tetra flakes and it said a few years till expirey.

Yeah, I think it just depends on the definition of "good". I am sure it would not hurt the fish at all to eat it, but unless thing have changed (which they might have) the older food would have little to no nutritional value.

• Like 1