Therapeutic fish keeping.

BQuick

I was wondering how many have used fish keeping as therapy. 

I had a TBI (traumatic brain injury) in 2016.  

All aspects have allowed me to destress.  From designing to cleaning to observing have all helped.

How about you?

• Like 6

• Administrators

I do, not as much as much anymore as it's my job. However one of my favorite things is to turn of all the lights in my fish room besides one tank, and sit and watch it. Eventually I fall asleep and wake up at like 2am, then go crawl into bed. My fish room is warm and lots of white noise.

4 minutes ago, Michael St.John said:

I have and do. I retired because of Small Fiber Peripheral Neuropathy in 2017, constant debilitating pain. I am glad our hobby has helped you as well.

Glad for you as well.

The hobby helps me a ton! Im a person in recovery from addiction and the hobby gives me a constant flow of things to do and learn. In early recovery the hobby, I think played a vital role in helping stay on track with living sober. So grateful for the hobby and the many fellow fish nerds ❤️

• Like 7

Absolutely! Watching my fish is relaxing. It helps reduce my anxiety and depression. The responsibility of taking care of my fish and plants is beneficial, with different benefits each day. It is therapeutic, encouraging, motivating, etc. Setting up a tank is a great artistic expression. I love taking care of my planted tanks. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pat.Shaw said:

The hobby helps me a ton! Im a person in recovery from addiction and the hobby gives me a constant flow of things to do and learn. In early recovery the hobby, I think played a vital role in helping stay on track with living sober. So grateful for the hobby and the many fellow fish nerds ❤️

So glad it is helping you.  I know ma.y addicts and know how hard it is.

• Like 1

The hobby has been such a huge help in keeping me motivated and staying on track. I (think I) have ADHD, have anxiety, and sometimes mild depression, and having the tanks to play around in as far as scape or just sit and watch has been such a huge help for me and allows me to de stress from my crazy college classes and gives me something positive to focus on. 

Anything that keeps you in the moment is going to be beneficial I think.   I know it's helping me right now.  Not only does it give me something to focus on make plans around, but it provides the opportunity to just sit and be still sometimes.  I'm not recovering from any specific injury but do deal with bouts of depression.   I can see the aquariums being another tool in the toolbox.

One of the big reasons I'm getting back to keeping fish right now is my son.   With no school and no access to his friends, we needed a project.  We've spent weeks reading, watching videos, planning and talking.  I know his anxiety and stress levels have come down as well.  He's sleeping a bit better.  He's already got a healthy interest in the life sciences, but I can't help patting myself on the back for finding another opportunity to sneak in some education as well.

On 7/14/2020 at 7:00 PM, ForestJenn said:

Anything that keeps you in the moment is going to be beneficial I think.   I know it's helping me right now.  Not only does it give me something to focus on make plans around, but it provides the opportunity to just sit and be still sometimes.  I'm not recovering from any specific injury but do deal with bouts of depression.   I can see the aquariums being another tool in the toolbox.

One of the big reasons I'm getting back to keeping fish right now is my son.   With no school and no access to his friends, we needed a project.  We've spent weeks reading, watching videos, planning and talking.  I know his anxiety and stress levels have come down as well.  He's sleeping a bit better.  He's already got a healthy interest in the life sciences, but I can't help patting myself on the back for finding another opportunity to sneak in some education as well.

Great job Mom!.  It is so nice to hear a story like yours.  Keep up the great work!

• Like 1

Absolutely! I am disabled, and went from being a runner, weight lifter, wood cutter, and many other activities in my life. Now, I can't walk much, and must take breaks from chores often. All the fish have given me such joy, and entertainment, while keeping my mind off the pain, and what I cannot do anymore. I hope I am creating a good life for them, as well. Cory, and aquarium co op, have been the reason that I feel I can do this at all.

I have PTSD and I just got the hobbies taken away from me due to repetitive motition injury which I now have to have surgery for that I used to cope with my anxiety so now I sit with 3 tanks one of which is my Betta that sits next to me and interacts with me all day. It's very therapeutic.

1594908671767259576046656308479.jpg

38 minutes ago, tfwvusa said:

I have PTSD and I just got the hobbies taken away from me due to repetitive motition injury which I now have to have surgery for that I used to cope with my anxiety so now I sit with 3 tanks one of which is my Betta that sits next to me and interacts with me all day. It's very therapeutic.

1594908671767259576046656308479.jpg

So glad you are able to keep atleast one of your hobbies.  Would have been terrible to loose all of them.

12 hours ago, Lynn M said:

Great job Mom!.  It is so nice to hear a story like yours.  Keep up the great work!

So glad you where able to find a way to bring down your kids anxiety.   Its also great when we can introduce younger generation s to the hobby.

10 hours ago, Dmmurray said:

Absolutely! I am disabled, and went from being a runner, weight lifter, wood cutter, and many other activities in my life. Now, I can't walk much, and must take breaks from chores often. All the fish have given me such joy, and entertainment, while keeping my mind off the pain, and what I cannot do anymore. I hope I am creating a good life for them, as well. Cory, and aquarium co op, have been the reason that I feel I can do this at all.

I have talked with many that have lost so much; its amazing how many have turned to animals for help.  

• Like 1