Therapeutic fish keeping.

BQuick

1 hour ago, tfwvusa said:

I have PTSD and I just got the hobbies taken away from me due to repetitive motition injury which I now have to have surgery for that I used to cope with my anxiety so now I sit with 3 tanks one of which is my Betta that sits next to me and interacts with me all day. It's very therapeutic.

1594908671767259576046656308479.jpg

I have a 5 gal with my betta, Casper in it.  He comes to the front of the tank when I sit at my desk and stays there swimming back and forth watching what I do.

20190930_180131 (2).jpg

20191012_102623.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, tfwvusa said:

I have PTSD and I just got the hobbies taken away from me due to repetitive motition injury which I now have to have surgery for that I used to cope with my anxiety so now I sit with 3 tanks one of which is my Betta that sits next to me and interacts with me all day. It's very therapeutic.

1594908671767259576046656308479.jpg

Beautiful betta you have. I love how they learn to interact with people.  One fish I am sure learns to recognize their people.

This pandemic has obliterated most of my life plans for the year, really hard on an overachieving control freak like me.

I think the timing of my fish obsession is a coping mechanism--a pretty healthy one.

Before this I was starting to drink like it was a sport. Fish>Whiskey.

• Like 1

On 7/14/2020 at 12:58 PM, Pat.Shaw said:

The hobby helps me a ton! Im a person in recovery from addiction and the hobby gives me a constant flow of things to do and learn. In early recovery the hobby, I think played a vital role in helping stay on track with living sober. So grateful for the hobby and the many fellow fish nerds ❤️

Ditto! 

I got into this hobby about a year after my sister passed away..and I honestly don't know what I'd do without it!

It keeps my mind preoccupied so my anxiety is much less! Having to figure out things like - whats wrong with my fish, or where should I put my new plant, and omg! New fry! - I ALWAYS have something to look forward to and to do physically!

Plus, sitting back and watching my aquatic babies swim about is therapeutic all in itself!💖

Anxiety and depression here. I tend to immerse myself into hobbies for distraction, often at the expense of time with other human beings like my family. Aquariums is a hobby my wife participates in, though, which has really influenced my commitment to it. She got me into the hobby initially, and I of course took it overboard. 

• 4 weeks later...