Mystery of the Jumping Plants

Daniel

I have a lid on all my aquariums because of my cats. but the other one will spend all day trying to catch one. I put a towel over my aquarium to kill off the green water and my cat is hating me for it. She has tried to take the towel off but no sucess yet.

Thats really funny though!!!

I've not observed it, but I suspect my cat has done the same thing at times.  It's why I make sure I keep a decent lid on the tank.  

I had a 2.5 gallon cheapo tank I got from walmart as a backup/isolation/plant bucket/quarantine tank set up, and I was testing using loops of air tubing, sealed closed as a way to contain/keep out floating plants (in particular, duckweed) like I had seen folks online do.  The lid it came with was kinda crappy, and so I let it stand open with a decent light to keep the plants I had in it going well. Then, I found a bunch of duckweed, hornwort, and the airline ring pulled out of the tank on the floor.   I didn't see the cat doing it, but I can't think of any other thing that could have caused it.

Now I just make sure everything has a decent lid, and the airline rings I did make became cat toys, because I determined my cat would probably just pull them out otherwise anyway.

I honestly 'jumped' to this thread to see if there was a plant that had somehow come to life from all the chemicals we feed them LOL, but this was even funnier! Yeah I've had that happen, especially with the older cats. Or sometimes when trimming I accidentally toss trimmings too far!