Share Your Cory Catfish Pictures

On 1/29/2021 at 2:58 AM, Makule808 said:

Do corys do ok on dwarf hair grass carpeted tanks?

In my experience corys are not very fussy about what's under them, and care more about having a place to go to feel safe when needed and multiple friends of the same species. If the hair grass is well rooted, then the hair grass will do just fine. I've had Orange lasers, and Long fin Pandas up root all three (Monte Carlo, Baby Tears, and Dwarf hair grass) only where they had not rooted in well. In other parts of the tank where the Hair grass had a lot heavier root base with trailers going everywhere has done very well for about 4 months now. From what I've seen its just as easy for them to feel through hair grass for food as it is sifting through sand. I'll snap a pic for you tomorrow.

• Like 1

Just picked up three of these little guys (CoryDoras Similis) and have 7-8 more on order for my 125. I never really paid attention to these little guys until watching Corys videos. I would usually buy 3-5 Julii's and call it a day but never knew they loved being in big groups.  

IMG_3695.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Pleasantly Planted Waters said:

Always a pleasant time when the corys decide to be social towards me! 💚💚

1516012213_Greenlasers.jpg.2ddc69184f5e322c03fc7347b611ec20.jpg

Wow! Great shot! You seem to have the same type of community tank as me, with various Corydoras and guppy/endlers. I hope to upgrade to at least a 55 gallon soon so I can get more cories though. I only have a pair of aeneus females, a lone venezuelan male (I thought he was a bronze when I got him I just recently figured out he is different now), a school of C. pygmaeus, and a group (pair and their offspring) of C. paleatus. Hope to get more aenues, venezuelans, pygmies, and maybe get a different type too like Brochis splendens, C. trilineatus, C. panda, or laser cories when I upgrade my tank.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Garren said:

My newbies in the tank. 

20210210_201144.jpg

20210210_201111.jpg

Nice! Pygmy cories are great! I can see yours school around a lot. Mine used to stay out in the open until I offered more hiding places other than small river rocks and plastic plants. Once I introduced a large piece of driftwood into the aquarium they would always stay there and rarely come out. Now that I have real plants, they like hanging out with my school of peppered cories under the sponge filter, Java fern, and water sprite. They are a bit less shy now.

Anyway, good luck with your cories!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Branden said:

Just picked up three of these little guys (CoryDoras Similis) and have 7-8 more on order for my 125. I never really paid attention to these little guys until watching Corys videos. I would usually buy 3-5 Julii's and call it a day but never knew they loved being in big groups.  

IMG_3695.jpg

Nice! I have never seen one in person before, but I heard they are about the same size as panda cories. How much do they cost in your area?

5 hours ago, CorydorasEthan said:

Wow! Great shot! You seem to have the same type of community tank as me, with various Corydoras and guppy/endlers. I hope to upgrade to at least a 55 gallon soon so I can get more cories though. I only have a pair of aeneus females, a lone venezuelan male (I thought he was a bronze when I got him I just recently figured out he is different now), a school of C. pygmaeus, and a group (pair and their offspring) of C. paleatus. Hope to get more aenues, venezuelans, pygmies, and maybe get a different type too like Brochis splendens, C. trilineatus, C. panda, or laser cories when I upgrade my tank.

Where are you?  I have more than double the number of bronze cories that I need so I would love for some to go to someone I know will appreciate them. I’m in the Dallas/Ft. Worth, Texas metroplex. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Odd Duck said:

Where are you?  I have more than double the number of bronze cories that I need so I would love for some to go to someone I know will appreciate them. I’m in the Dallas/Ft. Worth, Texas metroplex. 

I'm up in the midwest/Great Plains region, so it would be kind of hard to get them to me. It might be easier and more profitable to sell them to your LFS if you really don't want them. But maybe if you had a nice community display tank with some extra room, you could put your cories in once they get bigger they would add a lot of activity and personality into the aquarium.

11 hours ago, CorydorasEthan said:

Thank you. It's a fun mix! This 40 breeder is kinda a grow out tank. It has been a lot of fun, but everyone will slowly be going to their own home eventually. There's 4 Green lasers, 6 Venezuelans, 6 Rabauti, and 2 Paleatus. Probably let the Rabautis take it in the long run. I've been growing out the paleatus fry and the parents are about to join them in a 40 breeder. I keep losing count at 50. I've really wanted to build out several large schools of diff, Cory cats to see how they interact differently, and how behaviors change at different colony sizes. They all seem to be doing really well in the 40 breeder. How big is your community? Pandas are really outgoing and swim around all levels of the water column a lot more than any other cory I've kept. Lasers are the most reclusive I have, and I believe are going to require a spawn or two grown out to feel more comfy.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Pleasantly Planted Waters said:

Thank you. It's a fun mix! This 40 breeder is kinda a grow out tank. It has been a lot of fun, but everyone will slowly be going to their own home eventually. There's 4 Green lasers, 6 Venezuelans, 6 Rabauti, and 2 Paleatus. Probably let the Rabautis take it in the long run. I've been growing out the paleatus fry and the parents are about to join them in a 40 breeder. I keep losing count at 50. I've really wanted to build out several large schools of diff, Cory cats to see how they interact differently, and how behaviors change at different colony sizes. They all seem to be doing really well in the 40 breeder. How big is your community? Pandas are really outgoing and swim around all levels of the water column a lot more than any other cory I've kept. Lasers are the most reclusive I have, and I believe are going to require a spawn or two grown out to feel more comfy.

I have a 29 gallon with pool filter sand, an assortment of live plants, river rocks, and driftwood. I was thinking the same thing for my community, with multiple different schools of Corydoras. I try to pick up new every species I can find at my pet stores, but my parents made me stop because I started to get too many fish. Hopefully when I get a larger tank I can have more. The only species of cories my local stores and chain stores have to offer regularly are: C. paleatus, C. aeneus (albino and bronze forms), C. panda, C. trilineatus (labeled Julii cory), and C. sterbai. Occasionally, my local stores bring in Brochis splendens (labeled Green cory) and C. pygmaeus. The more rare types that hardly ever come in are C. habrosus, and I have seen "Assorted Corydoras" once that looked like C. elegans (very pretty, one of my favorites), but I couldn't get any more fish then. I am hopeful, because apparantly, one of my local stores has labels on some of their tanks for green lasers for $3.99, and they said that they used to have a lady that bred them and sold them to the shop. I don't think they knew the value, but I hope to get some for that steal of a price soon!

Anyway, I agree I found breeding helps a lot build up a school is breeding. My pair of peppered cories (C. paleatus) bred and laid 30 eggs, so I tried to hatch them. Although I was successful in hatching, I released the 30 babies into the 29 too early (the poor things were only three weeks old at most I always feel bad about it), and only 4 survived. Nevertheless, it still made the school bigger and the four survivors are the most outgoing of their family. The albino cories are by far the most active in the tank, always moving around on the substrate and sleeping out in the open. The pygmy cories are the most reclusive, always hiding in their favorite spot (changes from time to time, right now it is under the sponge filter and the big Java fern all the pygmies and the peppered cory family sleep here). They only come out when they can't see me but when they do they are the most fun fish to watch.

• Like 1

On 1/29/2021 at 2:58 AM, Makule808 said:

Do corys do ok on dwarf hair grass carpeted tanks?

Here's those pics of the Longfin Pandas I said I'd snap today.  Some of the grass towards the sides and back was initially uprooted, but as far as the corys go the have no problem nibbling on that extreme wafer. sorry for the algae. I overfed a bit last week. Hope this helps tho! 🖤🤍🖤 886606809_Pandashairgrass.jpg.05c922a6c2bf9a56df4d9d90056dccd4.jpg659065825_PandasHairgrass2.jpg.17a48b97cd805f4a1818b1fd55c75764.jpg1023111643_PandasHairgrass3.jpg.d76f8d1d41e4628dc92e62e9f5f056da.jpg

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, CorydorasEthan said:

I have a 29 gallon with pool filter sand, an assortment of live plants, river rocks, and driftwood. I was thinking the same thing for my community, with multiple different schools of Corydoras. I try to pick up new every species I can find at my pet stores, but my parents made me stop because I started to get too many fish. Hopefully when I get a larger tank I can have more. The only species of cories my local stores and chain stores have to offer regularly are: C. paleatus, C. aeneus (albino and bronze forms), C. panda, C. trilineatus (labeled Julii cory), and C. sterbai. Occasionally, my local stores bring in Brochis splendens (labeled Green cory) and C. pygmaeus. The more rare types that hardly ever come in are C. habrosus, and I have seen "Assorted Corydoras" once that looked like C. elegans (very pretty, one of my favorites), but I couldn't get any more fish then. I am hopeful, because apparantly, one of my local stores has labels on some of their tanks for green lasers for $3.99, and they said that they used to have a lady that bred them and sold them to the shop. I don't think they knew the value, but I hope to get some for that steal of a price soon!

Anyway, I agree I found breeding helps a lot build up a school is breeding. My pair of peppered cories (C. paleatus) bred and laid 30 eggs, so I tried to hatch them. Although I was successful in hatching, I released the 30 babies into the 29 too early (the poor things were only three weeks old at most I always feel bad about it), and only 4 survived. Nevertheless, it still made the school bigger and the four survivors are the most outgoing of their family. The albino cories are by far the most active in the tank, always moving around on the substrate and sleeping out in the open. The pygmy cories are the most reclusive, always hiding in their favorite spot (changes from time to time, right now it is under the sponge filter and the big Java fern all the pygmies and the peppered cory family sleep here). They only come out when they can't see me but when they do they are the most fun fish to watch.

Don't feel bad about the fry, The first 2 spawns with Adolfois (My Favorite) I tried hatching out eggs, I only raised up 7.. In time it will become easier. However a 40 breeder may not seem like much more than a 29, but the footprint is what your cory cats will really appreciate. The 55s are more tall and skinny. The 40 breeder is much wider front to back. Another suggestion is you could save up for the next dollar per gallon sale and go with a 75 gallon for $100. IDK what your space is like, but if you're gonna do a 55, you could probably find the room for a 75. it has the same depth as the 40 breeder but you get a foot longer side to side. and a little bit taller. It would also keep you from having to many Corys for a lot longer than a 55.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CorydorasEthan said:

I'm up in the midwest/Great Plains region, so it would be kind of hard to get them to me. It might be easier and more profitable to sell them to your LFS if you really don't want them. But maybe if you had a nice community display tank with some extra room, you could put your cories in once they get bigger they would add a lot of activity and personality into the aquarium.

Yeah, that would be tricky!  Especially with the current weather.

I plan to keep some, but I definitely don’t need to put 2 dozen or so in the 100 gallon tank when whatever I put in there will likely continue to breed.  I expect their numbers will slowly creep up anyway, even in a community tank.

I will probably sell some on a local fish Band and may take some to my lfs, too.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Pleasantly Planted Waters said:

Don't feel bad about the fry, The first 2 spawns with Adolfois (My Favorite) I tried hatching out eggs, I only raised up 7.. In time it will become easier. However a 40 breeder may not seem like much more than a 29, but the footprint is what your cory cats will really appreciate. The 55s are more tall and skinny. The 40 breeder is much wider front to back. Another suggestion is you could save up for the next dollar per gallon sale and go with a 75 gallon for $100. IDK what your space is like, but if you're gonna do a 55, you could probably find the room for a 75. it has the same depth as the 40 breeder but you get a foot longer side to side. and a little bit taller. It would also keep you from having to many Corys for a lot longer than a 55.

My dad says that I can get a 55 gallon tank off Craigslist or something like that if I participate in a Biotope aquarium contests. Not neccessarily because I will win (I probably don't stand a chance in those professional contests), but because he wants me to participate in a competition that I will actually enjoy (my older sister does History day and my parents wanted me to do it I had to do it this year but I didn't like it too much), and he thinks it would be cool if I made an ecosystem of the creek near our home. Once I am finished with the biotope, I release the fish into the wild, meaning I probably get to keep the aquarium and turn it into the planted corydoras-livebearer-tetra community I have been hoping for. Maybe I should go with your suggestion instead by looking for a 40 gallon breeder, although this may be a bit harder to find, I think it would be well worth it (I've seen a couple at PetCo during dollar per gallon sales, so maybe that will work). Plus, it takes up less room, so my parents would be more into letting me get a new tank!

Thanks for the advice!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Odd Duck said:

Yeah, that would be tricky!  Especially with the current weather.

I plan to keep some, but I definitely don’t need to put 2 dozen or so in the 100 gallon tank when whatever I put in there will likely continue to breed.  I expect their numbers will slowly creep up anyway, even in a community tank.

I will probably sell some on a local fish Band and may take some to my lfs, too.

How many/what types of fish do you already have in the 100 gallon aquarium?

2 hours ago, CorydorasEthan said:

How many/what types of fish do you already have in the 100 gallon aquarium?

None, yet.  I’ve been collecting plants gradually to accumulate enough to plant heavy from the start.  I’m almost there on plants, but we’re going to redo our floors in that room before I set it up.  I just happened to buy a trio of 10 gallon tanks and other assorted stuff from a guy that was shutting down his fish room.  He asked if I was interested in the “emerald cories” and sold the dozen adults to me for $25.00.

I didn’t think they were emeralds, too dark on their dorsal aspect and just didn’t look quite right for emeralds, but I was fine with what I saw, anyway.  It didn’t take me long reading on line to figure out they were bronzes since they’re a near lookalike but have significantly fewer rays in the dorsal fin than emeralds.

So, I have far more cories than I need for the 100 gallon since I want a community tank with other bottom dwellers, mid, and top water fish.  I’ll do a group of the bronzes, probably 7 or 8, and sell the rest since they’ve managed to double in number since I got them.

Once the tank has completely established with its plants in, then cories will go in, then some mid and top, then more bottom dwellers, etc, until fully stocked.  At least that’s the plan at this point, potentially subject to change.  😆 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Odd Duck said:

What up Odd Duck I'm over here in South Garland. Don't need any bronze corys just happy to say hey to a Dallas TX local What LFS do you frequent???

Edited by Pleasantly Planted Waters

1 hour ago, Pleasantly Planted Waters said:

What up Odd Duck I'm over here in South Garland. Don't need any bronze corys just happy to say hey to a Dallas TX local What LFS do you frequent???

Mostly Texas Aquatics.  They’re very close since I’m in North Richland Hills, and have always treated me right.  You have a favorite?

7 minutes ago, Odd Duck said:

Mostly Texas Aquatics.  They’re very close since I’m in North Richland Hills, and have always treated me right.  You have a favorite?

Need to check them out. I'm on the other side of the metroplex. I like DFW fish rescue, or A-Z Aquatics. They aren't really a lfs. It's a big metal prefab building behind her home. Sue is awesome, and I know a large amount of my purchases go towards her finding rescues homes and taking care of permanent rescues. I do really enjoy the people at "Exotic Aquatics", and "Aquarium Boutique". "Fish Gallery" isn't half bad. They seemed more focus on selling you a tank upgrade than the fish selection tho.. One that I really like that is about 30 minutes or less from you is Fish Paradise. They always have a really good selection of corys. including some more rare ones regularly.

I’ve gotten plants from Sue a few times now and I’m putting together another order soon.  I really like that profits go to fish rescue!  

I’m still collecting plants for my 100 gallon tank.  The minute my floor is done it’s getting planted and filled!  This floor is sooooooo overdue!  Lol!

I’ll have to check out Fish Paradise, for sure.  I’ve been meaning to check out Fish Gallery.  I haven’t been to Exotic Aquatics since we used to have reef tanks about a decade or so ago.

Edited by Odd Duck
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Odd Duck said:

. . . I’ll have to check out Fish Paradise, for sure.  I’ve been meaning to check out Fish Gallery.  I haven’t been to Exotic Aquatics since we used to have reef tanks about a decade or so ago.

I've never been to the one up in y'alls part of the world, but I like the two in the Houston area.

• Like 2