What did you get done today?

Cory

Today I went to visit and friends about two hours away so I planned some stops asking the way. It even up being a bit of a fish pilgrimage. 

First, I got to meet Dean. I bought his old 100 gallon stock tank but during it into my car was a challenge so fur a while it was hanging out the back with the trunk strapped down.

PXL_20240817_192754812.jpg.86c3229fb4754861080d3401d6672095.jpg

The second stop was to meet up with a fish club member who does killifish. We traded some fish and he gave me some extra equipment. 

Then third I met up with an old friend at an LFS. I set him up with a little tank I had and the equipment from the second stop. Then we looked around at the different fish he could potentially put in his tank. Luckily he had a wrench so we were able to take the back seats out of my car so the tub would fit all the way in for the drive home.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

On 8/9/2024 at 4:46 AM, Odd Duck said:

Sorry about your flood.  At least you didn’t do it because you forgot to pay close enough attention while you were busy with your arm in the tank!  That’s the reason for my worst flood.  I did have an older 10 G spring a slow leak recently.  🤦🏻‍♀️ It was overdue for replacing anyway.  It has no mechanical filter, only air driven UGF and a couple sponge filters, plus it was overdue for a refresher and luckily had no fish.  So it got siphoned down as low as possible and it’s getting replaced today with the replacement I already had on hand for this exact reason.  Now I just need to get the other older tanks replaced and the other ton of stuff I need to do to make my fish room happen.  😆 😝 🤷🏻‍♀️ Someday.

Hope your urgent, short notice trip wasn’t for anything bad.

Its all about the timing! 

I've never had an aquarium leak, (yet)  but I've also never had a 5 gallon tidal wave when the bucket suddenly falls off the handle.

The trip was all good.  It was a last minute invitation to a once in a lifetime Canadian fishing trip with some old friends who are now at retirement age or well beyond.  The unplanned part was: a departure date, a precise destination, could I go?, and could I get a passport? Would I be allowed to cross the border...  I'm still waiting for that expedited passport!  

• Like 1

Water change on the 2.5 gallon shrimp tank, and the 150 gallon stock tank pond. As well as starting to set up a new 10 gallon which will eventually upgrade/replace the 2.5 gallon.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/29/2024 at 1:11 PM, sydcable said:

Hey everyone.   I just joined.  I have 6 tanks and it's great. Just trying to navigate this forum 

...My system spazzed out on me.    You will find a group of very helpful people here at almost every interest and experience level.   The introductions page is a good place to start, and the rest of the categories are pretty much self explanatory. So again, enjoy and welcome.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Deconstructed a 55 gallon metaframe aquarium.  This was a curb find; definitely not worth the salvage effort. 

After storing the aquarium for over two years, I was more interested in how it was constructed than attempting to repair it.  The slate bottom weighs over 26# and wasn't as thick as I had expected to find. Part of the bottom and sides is a putty that may have served as a cushion/filler, and had turned to stone long ago.  Instead of repairing the silicone on the inside,  the previous owner had attempted to reseal the underside with some kind of sealant resembling autobody putty.  With the bottom removed, the steel frame doesn't provide as much structural integrity as I would have expected.  

Now that I have 26# of slate for a future aquascaping project. I have to decide whether to scrap the glass, or possibly have it cut to size for a future rimless tank.

On 9/8/2024 at 10:25 AM, Tanked said:

Deconstructed a 55 gallon metaframe aquarium.  This was a curb find; definitely not worth the salvage effort. 

After storing the aquarium for over two years, I was more interested in how it was constructed than attempting to repair it.  The slate bottom weighs over 26# and wasn't as thick as I had expected to find. Part of the bottom and sides is a putty that may have served as a cushion/filler, and had turned to stone long ago.  Instead of repairing the silicone on the inside,  the previous owner had attempted to reseal the underside with some kind of sealant resembling autobody putty.  With the bottom removed, the steel frame doesn't provide as much structural integrity as I would have expected.  

Now that I have 26# of slate for a future aquascaping project. I have to decide whether to scrap the glass, or possibly have it cut to size for a future rimless tank.

Wow, that’s a ton of work!

On 9/7/2024 at 2:23 PM, johnnyxxl said:

Today after some tidying up.  They bring such joyIMG_20240907_140425_080.thumb.jpg.3e82458c3eec48688eedee4f6b819cd9.jpgIMG_20240907_140401_013.jpg.69f07087346b39acd37b72898521e3dc.jpg

The water lettuce looks awesome.

On 9/6/2024 at 2:32 PM, ange said:

All set up for some baby discus coming soon! And also getting ready for cool weather produce.

PXL_20240906_182211207.MP.jpg

Your tank looks great!  

On 8/29/2024 at 1:11 PM, sydcable said:

Hey everyone.   I just joined.  I have 6 tanks and it's great. Just trying to navigate this forum 

Welcome!

On 8/18/2024 at 10:39 AM, Tanked said:

I've never had an aquarium leak, (yet)  but I've also never had a 5 gallon tidal wave when the bucket suddenly falls off the handle.

Hahaha! That happened to me! I thought the Dollar Tree bucket was such a bargain, then I found out I got what I paid for. 🤣I think mine was a 2 gallon bucket though. Also had the bottom fall out of a 29g tank before. Saw the leak on day 3, all the substrate and decor was in. Fortunately got it siphoned out and all the stuff removed. The bottom gave out on the lawn as we hurriedly carried to the curb.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 1

On 9/9/2024 at 12:07 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:
On 8/18/2024 at 10:39 AM, Tanked said:

Hahaha! That happened to me! I thought the Dollar Tree bucket was such a bargain, then I found out I got what I paid for. 🤣I think mine was a 2 gallon bucket though. Also had the bottom fall out of a 29g tank before. Saw the leak on day 3, all the substrate and decor was in. Fortunately got it siphoned out and all the stuff removed. The bottom gave out on the lawn as we hurriedly carried to the curb.

With every water change I think about these things more often now, especially each time I fill the nearly 40 yr. old water 5 gallon jugs.🤞

• Like 1