Heating a 125 gallon tank

quikv6

I will be upgrading my 75 gal tank to a 125 gal in the very near future. I am currently using 2 Aqueon Pro 200W heaters for the 75 gallon, which I am very happy with. (They are the old style with the red/green led in the front, which I like far better). I don't feel 400W will be enough for the 125. Please let me know your thoughts on 2 options I am considering:

1) Add a 3rd 200W Aqueon Pro. (I am able to get an old style, to match the others...symmetry/looks are important to me). I am not thrilled with having 3 heaters, as I was going to add an INKBIRD controller. With the inkbird, I wouldn't want to do more than 2.

2) Start fresh with new heaters. I can get the old Aqueon Pro's in 250W...so I was thinking 2 of those. (500W total). I can also get the new Aqueon Pro's in 300W (so 2 of those), but I hate that style with the light on the knob, and I have had issues with one of that style in the past.

I am not 100% married to the Aqueon Pro's, but I like the all-black, minimal sleek look. Plus, the 2 that I have in the 75 have been rock-solid in maintaining a steady temp, knock on wood.

Thanks in advance for all advice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I either read a post or heard it on a podcast, don’t quote me but I think it was Daniel, said that he is running undersized heaters to help alleviate cooking his fish if the heater sticks. It made sense to me and I am going to go that route. Hopefully whoever posted that will come along and chyme in.

• Like 1

Thank you for posing this question. I was just searching through the forum for this same info as I am in the same boat - prepping for my 125.

I've been looking at heaters and I was wondering about the preset 78 degree heaters. Wondering if they would be a better option?

Specifically I was looking at the Aqueon preset - 200 watt for 75 gallon - 2 would only cost about $35 for the pair. BUT that would preclude you from being able to raise the temp for illness treatment. Unless you kept a 3rd on hand for the need.

Has anyone tried these preset heaters?

13 minutes ago, braids said:

Thank you for posing this question. I was just searching through the forum for this same info as I am in the same boat - prepping for my 125.

I've been looking at heaters and I was wondering about the preset 78 degree heaters. Wondering if they would be a better option?

Specifically I was looking at the Aqueon preset - 200 watt for 75 gallon - 2 would only cost about $35 for the pair. BUT that would preclude you from being able to raise the temp for illness treatment. Unless you kept a 3rd on hand for the need.

Has anyone tried these preset heaters?

I have that one for my 45-gal. It keeps it at about 76-77, about 8 degrees above room temp. I also have spares as I've heard they're not the most reliable. I bought a Fluval adjustable heater for my new tank, as the danios prefer it 70-75. 

I have definitely ruled out preset heaters. My debate is essentially 3 heaters or 2 heaters. If I chose 3, I would only have to buy 1 new one. If I chose 2, I'd have to buy both.

Is there any practical reason why 3 would be bad? (Only thing I can see is an additional variable for overheating if it fails).

I wish someone would make a heater that is more like a stock tank deicer - all metal - plastic encased if need be. And one that had a +/- of a couple degrees. Fish, like people, don't naturally live in a constant exact temp. That would avoid the constant on/off cycling. Cut our electric bills a little, ease off on the wear and tear of the heaters, and in my opinion provide a more natural temperature fluctuation. Cory spoke about a lot of this in a video about heaters.  I 100% agree with what he was saying.

Sounds like the preset heaters are dependent on an average room temp to maintain the preset?

@Maggie what do you usually keep your space at?

3 heaters are only bad on your wallet (well if you had to buy all three). I would imagine if you had 2, 3 or 4, your tank will still be as warm as the highest set heater.

Theoretically, if you had something ridiculous like half a dozen 300 watt heaters, you could easily over subscribe your circuit. But that’s the only negative, other than cost, I can think by running more.

Edited by tolstoy21

Thinking in terms of smaller vs larger wattage heaters, I think a factor is also the fish your keeping. If a small heater fails and the tank temp drops but your fish are mostly ok, maybe not optimally happy, but still alive at room temp, that’s better than the alternative of a large heater stuck on and cooking everything.

Plus smaller heaters are a little less expensive to buy and run, unless they are undersized and run all day.

My heater failed recently and my tank sat at 70 for longer than I know and everyone was still happy as can be. 

Edited by tolstoy21
  • Thanks 1

I heat my 125 with a sicce scuba 250w on an inkbird. I have it positioned near one of the split intakes for my fx5. Try the heaters on hand you might be surprised.

Took this chart from their website. to use it you find the temperature above room temp you want your tank to be then draw a line to the size tank you have.

SCUBA_TECH_DATA.png

Edited by s1_
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, s1_ said:

I heat my 125 with a sicce scuba 250w on an inkbird. I have it positioned near one of the split intakes for my fx5. Try the heaters on hand you might be surprised.

I would go with what you have first. I agree with @s1_ that you might be surprised how well they do. That is also a pretty nifty chart. I compared the chart to my experience with running 50 watt heaters in 40 gallon aquariums to raise the temperature 5°F over room temperature and the chart was a decent guide.

@Struggle mentioned running under-powered heaters which is what I do. The heaters never turn off because they never reach their set-point of 80°F. I believe this prolongs the life of the heater and definitely prevents any overheating which is the primary danger from heater failure. As @MickS77 mentions, a separate heater controller is always a good idea.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice folks. That sounds like a plan. I think I will order the 3rd one, as it can't hurt to have it as a spare. But I will see how the tank manages with the two 200w heaters I have already. If it is having a hard time keeping up, I'll throw the 3rd one in.

Thanks again.