What's your favorite "underrated" fish?

On 5/12/2024 at 11:54 AM, Shrimpee said:

I've never owned this one but I aspire to every single day. The pea puffer. The cutest little things I've ever seen. 

They are stinking adorable.  It would be fun to have a "micro fauna" fully planted tank! 

Any of the cheap tetras that have been around a while.  Skirt tetras, diamond tetras, black neons, Columbians etc etc.  

Any of the cheap tetras that have been around a while.  Skirt tetras, diamond tetras, black neons, Columbians etc etc.  

• Like 1

I'm suggesting the Von Rio Tetra (wild type) to the underrated list.

These gregarious fish are small but welcomed and unintimidated by larger tank mates. An alternative to the Ember Tetra that doesn't get that Ember hype.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

I'd say my favorite underrated fishes are the sunfishes (family Centrarchidae) and darters (family Percidae). Both are native, North American fishes that are not kept in the hobby here in the USA very often, although sunfishes like pumpkinseed (Lepomis gibbosus), and the smaller Enneacanthus and Elassoma sunfishes are popular in Europe. Sunfishes are very cichlid-like, with cichlid-like shapes and colors, as well as cichlid-like territorial aggression and parental behaviors. Darters are beautiful, tiny fishes that creep around the tank looking for food. Some are very colorful, others less so, but all have fascinating behaviors. Sometimes local laws get in the way of collecting or keeping temperate fishes like sunfishes and darters, but they are super cool to keep if you can.

Edited by AtomicSunfish
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

I don’t know if pea puffers qualify as “under-rated” any longer… they seem to be very popular right now. 

But I still like hearing about people’s enthusiasm for keeping them!  It has definitely started me thinking they might fit in one of my tanks. 

• Like 3

Single-sex groups of mollies. Mollies are definitely underrated as a beginner-friendly fish and they do have the risks of breeding out of control in mixed groups, but having 1-3 same sex mollies in a tank provides a lot of cleaning power. Before I had a tank without mollies in it, I never understood the emphasis on having a cleanup crew that youtubers would always talk about. After I had a tank with just  angelfish in it and I had to clean everything all the time, I was like "Oh".

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Do Endlers count as underrated?

They are rarely sold at local pet stores, and not many people know about them.

I recently got my first two Endler's Guppies, and there is already an obvious difference in their health from guppies. They are less inbred, more active, cuter, and prettier. Even if I just got into them less than a week ago, they are already one of my favorite fish.

Edited by Guupy42
  • Like 3

It’s gotta be the white clouds!!! Probably the EASIEST fish in this world to keep, not to mention they have tons of personality! I love them so much.

4F70E365-309E-4899-B014-2569E96231B0.jpeg

54B96B5D-ED11-4614-B506-F1EF87DF9264.jpeg

68B1C38B-DF5A-4B23-AECF-3003973A3078.jpeg

924E228E-4DB6-4048-A61D-766544B5FB0A.jpeg

032B5126-9E45-4314-8B19-6295E1862FD1.jpeg

C6B254A6-2F09-4142-81F7-DB37BE5091D0.jpeg

4FF29AF8-85FF-4B8F-AD9C-75795418AB22.jpeg

On 5/15/2024 at 7:38 AM, Guupy42 said:

I recently got my first two Endler's Guppies, and there is already an obvious difference in their health from guppies. They are less inbred, more active, cuter, and prettier. Even if I just got into them less than a week ago, they are already one of my favorite fish.

Yeah I don’t ever see them at LFSs. I say they do! Same, I got my WCMMs 4 months ago but still just love them

• Like 3

On 5/15/2024 at 7:38 AM, Guupy42 said:

Endlers ARE awesome. My Endler-guppy hybrids are my favorite fish to breed. So much variety in how they turn out.

• Like 3

On 5/15/2024 at 6:17 PM, PineSong said:

Endlers ARE awesome. My Endler-guppy hybrids are my favorite fish to breed. So much variety in how they turn out.

Yep! And healthy, too. My Endler guppies have great hybrid vigor.

• Like 1

Platy's!   They have such fun personalities and they're always hanging around together, darting over the place or go spelunking in rock formations and decorations.  They always seem like they're having the most fun.

• Like 2

Platy's!   They have such fun personalities and they're always hanging around together, darting over the place or go spelunking in rock formations and decorations.  They always seem like they're having the most fun.

To be honest, I'm a little surprised at all the love for "normal" fish that have been in the hobby for decades. I suppose there has to be a reason for their enduring popularity!

I was expecting more Double Bumblebee Upside Down Whiptail Stream Darter type stuff. 😁

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

+1 for endlers. 

My preference is usually for wild-type fishes. Which is unfortunate because they're less readily available, and usually cost more. 

Love my ember tetras, big bang for the buck, esp when in numbers. 

Also furcata rainbowfish. Crazy that something basically right out of the wild can look and behave so vibrantly. I know, they're hundreds of generations in captivity, but they aren't line-bred or anything like that (at least not to my knowledge - if I'm wrong don't correct me, and leave me to my blissful ignorance LOL). 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

My favorite underrated fish is Danio erythromicron.  They are more shy and skittish than CPD. When nervous they go pale so do not show well in pet shops is my guess why they are not more prevalent.

I wanted them for a very long time and a few months ago my LFS was finally able to order them for me. 

Also underrated is developing a good relationship with your lfs.  They have the ability to order many more varieties of fish than they normally do.  Development of that relationship has led to me being able to obtain many many less common fish that I otherwise would have had to order from unknown sources and pay shipping for who knows what quality fish.

The emeralds are usually darting through the low plants in my tank. Not very in your face visible but when sitting patiently to watch they are incredibly rewarding. 

I sit in front of the tank and they all dart as a group to hide. Then slowly a few peek at me around the corner.  Quickly rushing back to the group to report it’s just the food lady.  Then the whole group comes to peek at me around the corner and cautiously make a visible pass.  Always a few stragglers then appear and rush to meet the group again in cautious hiding. They have a town hall meeting to discuss that there is no danger. 

Once they are agreed the fun begins and chasing antics ensue. Watching them play carefree after the crisis assessment is a joy.  Their color becomes vibrant and they are a beautiful fun fish. 

I just started hatching their eggs. The babies are teeny tiny and so cute 🥰 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

On 5/15/2024 at 7:53 AM, Whitecloud09 said:

It’s gotta be the white clouds!!! Probably the EASIEST fish in this world to keep, not to mention they have tons of personality! I love them so much.

4F70E365-309E-4899-B014-2569E96231B0.jpeg

54B96B5D-ED11-4614-B506-F1EF87DF9264.jpeg

68B1C38B-DF5A-4B23-AECF-3003973A3078.jpeg

924E228E-4DB6-4048-A61D-766544B5FB0A.jpeg

032B5126-9E45-4314-8B19-6295E1862FD1.jpeg

C6B254A6-2F09-4142-81F7-DB37BE5091D0.jpeg

4FF29AF8-85FF-4B8F-AD9C-75795418AB22.jpeg

Yeah I don’t ever see them at LFSs. I say they do! Same, I got my WCMMs 4 months ago but still just love them

Yes!!! I just got my latest order of longfin white clouds and I'm in love😍 They are so beautiful, and hardy! I have Golden Minnows in a different tank and they've actually bred for me. My second choice would be my Veiltail Cherry Barbs. They're gorgeous in a planted tank with a black sand substrate. 

cherry_barb.webp

• Like 2
  • Love 2

On 5/17/2024 at 7:04 AM, Beach Cruiser said:

To be honest, I'm a little surprised at all the love for "normal" fish

Well, technically you did actually as for our favorite underrated fish. You got that in spades 🤣. Now if you want our favorite fish, that may be a different topic altogether.

• Haha 2

On 5/12/2024 at 1:39 AM, Beach Cruiser said:

I have 11 of then. They are super active and will steal food from all your other fish. Also seems to think that everything in the water that moves is food and they will constantly chase and nibble on your hands when you do tank maintenance 🤣

I love skirt tetras and marmoured hatchet fish, not sure if they count as underrated. I hope to have them someday

• Like 1