Hello! You can call me Hemlock or Sunshine ^_^ I go by he/they and am generally new to fishkeeping & aquariums. I've had the typical overstocked tanks in the past, but have since learned proper care and needs of cute fish friends!

I have a thirty gallon tank that has been cycling for about four or five weeks now, with one Mystery snail named Leroy! 

I am pretty new to keeping live aquarium plants so any advice is more than appreciated. 

- - - -

I have struggled with social anxiety before ... and am currently working on it, too! So please be patient if I am super slow to reply or inactive at times. 🙂 

Currently I have Amazon Sword plants and Ludwigia ovalis, and a sedge plant that I am experimenting with. I have had java ferns also in my tank but made the mistake of rooting them in the substrate, and they died. LOL! Beginner mistake, I suppose. 

I plan to stock my tank with 10 pygmy cories and a honey gourami. Does this seem overstocked? I have gotten mixed opinions on the temperament and social needs of gouramis. Some say they do better alone, some say better in pairs. Should I have one or two? Is my tank too small to have two? Too small for one? Is ten cories a good number?

Please let me know! I would greatly appreciate it... I would prefer an understocked tank over and overstocked one. I do not want to make harmful mistakes for my future fish friends.

I look forward to chatting and learning via this forum! Thank you everyone! ❤️ 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Welcome to the group. Thank you for your openness 😀 If you are planning on stocking the thirty gallon with ten pygmies and the gourami you will not be overstocked in fact you could probably have another kind of fish if you wanted. Something small and peaceful though pygmies don't prefer large tank mates. There is a site called aqadvisor that you can use to give you an idea of whether you tank is overstocked. To answer you question on the honey gourami I have never kept them but have consistently heard that they are quite peaceful so they should be fine. Sorry this is such a long response hopefully answered some of your questions. I can't wait to see you around the forum and pictures of your tank.

• Like 3

On 3/13/2024 at 11:15 AM, JE47 said:

Welcome to the group. Thank you for your openness 😀 If you are planning on stocking the thirty gallon with ten pygmies and the gourami you will not be overstocked in fact you could probably have another kind of fish if you wanted. Something small and peaceful though pygmies don't prefer large tank mates. There is a site called aqadvisor that you can use to give you an idea of whether you tank is overstocked. To answer you question on the honey gourami I have never kept them but have consistently heard that they are quite peaceful so they should be fine. Sorry this is such a long response hopefully answered some of your questions. I can't wait to see you around the forum and pictures of your tank.

NO! Your response is great and very very helpful! I will check it out! Thank you so so soso much !!! ^__^

• Like 2

On 3/13/2024 at 2:03 PM, clownbaby said:

I have struggled with social anxiety before

I have a crippling amount of that, except, apparently not by keyboard. It mostly seems like a very safe space here. so, feel free to speak up and ask questions. Most people are friendly and helpful here. and people that are rude generally will get an earful by members. and welcome!

• Love 3

On 3/13/2024 at 3:52 PM, Tony s said:

I have a crippling amount of that, except, apparently not by keyboard. It mostly seems like a very safe space here. so, feel free to speak up and ask questions. Most people are friendly and helpful here. and people that are rude generally will get an earful by members. and welcome!

Yes me too, but I have made quite a few posts since I joined as u can see, all because everyone is very very friendly and I fell safe on this forum. 

• Love 2

Welcome to the forum! I also suffer from social anxiety, but more in public than in the keyboard (the internet has brought out my anonymous social butterfly). 

As for stocking, as @JE47 has mentioned, aqadvisor is a great resource. I use it often. 

• Love 3

Nice to meet you! I also suffer from anxiety a-lot!  Especially after having children and fish keeping has been a major help for that! This forum has been so helpful and great and it’s nice to chat with people who like the same things you do! I posted the first time in awhile today and was met with helpful and kind responses so this is a great and safe place! 

• Love 2

On 3/13/2024 at 2:03 PM, clownbaby said:

10 pygmy cories and a honey gourami. Does this seem overstocked?

for a 30g, no. If anything, that's way understocked. But it's also a good place to start. In a 30g Id start with the gourami. and i think I'd give him maybe 2 more gourami friends. they like to be a bit social. and then wait a couple of weeks to add your pygmies. that way you don't overload your cycle. Id absolutely play with aqadvisor.com for now or just be looking a honey gourami tank mates on google. or pygmy tank mates for that matter. you have a ton of time. and sometimes waiting and planning and anticipating is the most fun of all.

Edited by Tony s
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

Yeah, me too on the anxiety!  Even on line.  That's one of many reasons I love this forum.  People here are very kind and generous with knowledge.  I've always felt welcome.  Another thing is the knowledge base of  forum members is vast and based on experience and science.  

30 gallons is very good size to start with.  Its big enough to be nicely stocked with plants and fish, and be forgiving as you stabilize the setup. .  Corys do love to be in a herd and they love plants, so I think that's a great fish.  I feed mine Repashy gel foods a few times a week and its fun to watch them swarm to it.  

So Sunshine, welcome.

• Love 1