Discussion of LARGE tanks: It's happening! 196 gallon custom glass tank....

On 10/5/2023 at 4:25 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

@dasaltemelosguy, thanks I'll definitely look at your journal. I still plan on only doing nano fish in this tank nothing bigger than say a long finned-pleco, roseline shark or silver tip tetra. Everyone of course will have to get along and like similar parameters so that will be an ongoing thing. 

This I think will be an interesting build. Being a custom tank it will be a room divider, Intrepid Partner decided the dimensions and did all the talking with Custom Tanks (low iron glass, and I think he got black silicone). I don't have the current measurements however last we spoke it will be at least 9ft long and will be a bit more narrow than a typical large tank due to the divider title- it will be tall but neither of us are concerned about that. He is going to build the cabinet himself (he works metal for a living building custom cars and used to work in a lumber mill) we've been under the house to look at reinforcement recently and to our delight there is a cement wall all along where the tank will go (as it used to be the wall to the garage but the house was remodeled)- so stability shouldn't be an issue at all. 

This is how it will look in a floor plan the blue is the tank of course: 

image000000.png.33af974ebc666b08a09c17a3e144f6f0.png

I'm actually more nervous about scaping a tank that you can see on 3 sides with 2 of those sides being 9 ft long. Oi. @lefty o it really is going to be cool I'm excited! @anewbie and I can totally see why it's hard to take a decent picture of a large tank. With a tank that is a divider like it will be I doubt any pictures that aren't taken up close are going to be good.

Scaping and fishkeeping will be my responsibility. Intrepid Partner, this is his favorite part- geeking out on building and tech. He is very supportive of my hobby and is looking forward to just kicking back and watching it. I'm very lucky. 

I absolutely love the layout. Your stuff is so artistic, it’s little surprise your room design follows the Golden Ratio.  The tank sounds like the stuff of dreams. The glass alone is!

We wanted to do something similar, but the floor joists were dead center. So, we have a linear, 50/50 dissection of the space which can feel ‘stagnant’ from viewing some angles.

DSC_0005L.jpg.9219d17bf64ffda47f61ef72e859290c.jpg

When we set up the room divider tank, it was originally against a window with a painted, black back. In the new location, the fish absolutely freaked out having all 4 sides open! It took about a month for some of them to stop hiding! (Speaking of hiding, I still have to enclose the wires and hoses!)

DSC_0003-L.jpg.aedd63966956a23875021872a85f5814.jpg

DSC_0002L.jpg.fc0d17de60bd38ca07a88459083ef977.jpg

Yours will have a dynamism mine doesn’t from this alone, let alone that glass quality! Can't wait to see what you come up with. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

@dasaltemelosguy and @Odd Duck thanks for your kind words about my aethetics. Intrepid Partner also likes a little quirk with the tanks so I'm hoping to find some things to place that will be a bit of a surprise here and there. I also want to get at least a couple undergravel caves for fish to get away from the hubbub or accidental breeding purposes, I especially like this cave: 

image000000(35).jpg.b81685e5312741dba608efb6dc385903.jpg

At least so far I think I'll be building up around the end of the tank and coming down ending in it's own scape peninsula as we both like that idea a lot. We'll see though, it's all organic and changes as I go usually- but some ideas stick- if I end up with a theme in my head I will stop at nothing to achieve it. 

• Like 3
  • Love 2

I watch a lot of You Tube dreaming of having a huge tank someday - I have come across several videos of people setting up and plumbing in a Custom Aquarium sump...Cichlid Bros and Kave Man Aquatics both have pretty detailed videos of their CA setups...its pretty interesting even though I am many moons away from getting a big tank myself 🙂

I can't wait to see how this turns out!!! seems like its going to be amazing

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Wondering, because the time is coming to when the tank gets delivered AND I want to start keeping an eye out for a perfect piece.....Is there any wood that is hard enough to not put too much debris in the water? I realize any wood is going to eventually decompose and because of that IF I put wood in the new tank I will likely only put one large piece in. Any tips on types of wood to look for?

• Like 1

On 11/9/2023 at 12:30 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Is there any wood that is hard enough to not put too much debris in the water?

What do you mean by debris?  manzanita is pretty much known for having that type of flaking "bark".  Spiderwood I think is fine from all I've seen. Pacific driftwood (ghost wood) as well as mopani is really good at being dense chunky wood that doesn't really fluff too much into the water in my experience.  I use both and have pretty clear tanks when running pumps.

If you use moss in some way too, it can act as a fine filter too and catch things, then shrimp and other stuff will eat off that.

On 11/9/2023 at 12:30 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

I realize any wood is going to eventually decompose and because of that IF I put wood in the new tank I will likely only put one large piece in. Any tips on types of wood to look for?

In terms of big wood you're going to only have very few options. Basically something with the term "driftwood" in it.

Ghostwood or pacific driftwood does come is really big sizes. Manzanita (the big pieces) can be similar and long/tendril style pieces.   The only other one that comes close is malaysian driftwood.  It just depends on what you want for a shape.

In terms of using big pieces of wood, here is one I like, with that big driftwood style piece of wood.  Just imagine it fits in your tank properly. 😂

1.png

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Thanks 1

On 11/9/2023 at 1:20 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

What do you mean by debris? 

Mostly I want to try and minimize the larger amounts of mulm produced by some woods. Spiderwood seems to be decent at NOT doing this when compared to other wood I've used like grapewood. I know it's unavoidable to an extent and if the tank lasts long enough any wood might have to be replaced at some point but I'd like to start strong here. 

On 11/9/2023 at 3:38 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Mostly I want to try and minimize the larger amounts of mulm produced by some woods. Spiderwood seems to be decent at NOT doing this when compared to other wood I've used like grapewood. I know it's unavoidable to an extent and if the tank lasts long enough any wood might have to be replaced at some point but I'd like to start strong here. 

Yeah, with the driftwoods I've never had an issue with mulm. The clown plecos do go a bit nuts on any wood and that makes mulm, but the wood itself doesn't deteriorate like that. I've seen Joey in his videos where he shows the "manzanita mulm", but mopaninamd the other driftwoods with the bark removed and denser surfaces, I've never seen issues with.

To give you an idea...

Pacific vs. Malaysian driftwood

The second photo you can see that little bit of rough texture. I call it bark, but it's just from cleaning the wood. That is the wood that would give you more debris, I would assume.

Screenshot_20231109-161259_1.png.1a78e866e3306e360fb56f06ddf22962.pngScreenshot_20231109-161234_1.png.71138b8e9132b00a636a2b875fa87b4e.png

This is the same type of wood, just different prep. First photo would give you a lot more debris than the second.

Screenshot_20231109-161530.png

Screenshot_20231109-161540.png

All of them are pretty hard woods, they should last a pretty long time.  I've also heard the term "bogwood" used that fits what you're looking for as well.

On 11/9/2023 at 9:30 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Wondering, because the time is coming to when the tank gets delivered AND I want to start keeping an eye out for a perfect piece.....Is there any wood that is hard enough to not put too much debris in the water? I realize any wood is going to eventually decompose and because of that IF I put wood in the new tank I will likely only put one large piece in. Any tips on types of wood to look for?

I’ve got a nice looking branch on my apple tree if you’re interested 😂

You can always hose down pieces of wood to get the worst debris out and then gravel vac the rest. (If you can reach in as big a tank as that!)

On 11/9/2023 at 9:32 PM, TheSwissAquarist said:

I’ve got a nice looking branch on my apple tree if you’re interested 😂

Nice of you to offer but I'm sure shipping costs from you to me would be cost prohibitive! 

On 11/9/2023 at 9:32 PM, TheSwissAquarist said:

You can always hose down pieces of wood to get the worst debris out and then gravel vac the rest. (If you can reach in as big a tank as that!)

That would be an issue, as I don't plan, if I find the wood I want, to place it in a way that I'd be able to take it out (conveniently). I do that with little pieces but large pieces, especially in a wood-floored room would be an issue if it was done frequently. So this is why I ask about wood I won't have a problem with! :-) 

• 1 month later...

Took delivery of the TANK!!! Was ordered in October and was supposed to come early December. Had a slight delay but honestly for us, this was no big deal we aren't even entirely ready for everything yet. Intrepid Partner got the call that it was coming and delivery scheduled.

Came yesterday via semi truck. The crate it came in- HUGE. The tank itself on the bottom and a portion built on top for the sump and other accessories the tank came with. All told the crate and tank was about 850lbs. Understandably they told us you need at least 2-3 people to move it. The driver got it off the truck of course and parked it before we got our 3rd person over to help get it in the house. We had back up plans in case we needed more people but they wouldn't be home to help until a few hours later. We crossed our fingers we could get it in. 

Once it was parked you have to inspect the goods before you sign the driver's paperwork. That required taking countless screws out to get the plywood sides off. I didn't get a picture of the crate completely closed because as you can imagine we were busy with logistics, but here it is safe and sound waiting for the move after we revealed it: 

image000000(69).jpg.a87602bdce71cff8c7c777faf33d419d.jpg

Here is the beautiful tank, flawless: 

image000000(70).jpg.0128d16c1b78bccc8fd39c1ccc879219.jpg

In order to make the move easier into the house we had to remove as much weight from the crate as possible. We removed all of the accessories, the sump and items from inside the tank itself (which were only lights and wavemakers). Then Intrepid Partner went about removing the top part of the crate and plywood. 

image000000(68).jpg.c174b74e60d3b0f5cae979016fe382ca.jpg

He gave me permission to use the real photo, but I think the smiley face is more fun. Plus he was loving it, he thrives on logistics and problem solving. 

Our cavalry arrived (a friend) so we went about a series of moves with a dolly (to lift sides), rolling carts, moving straps, plywood and towels to get the tank out of the street, up a 20ft walkway, up 2 porch steps and across a wood floor. No, no pics of this move either as you can imagine every hand was needed to move this behemoth of a tank. It remained in the wood for its safety and for the fact that Intrepid Partner was waiting on its arrival to build the stand/cabinet that will house it so it will be some time until it's permanently placed. But it was placed as where my diagram from previous posts indicated: 

image000000.png.d356f85329c99ea0b481efcf8c1eb6c5.png

Here: 

image000000(64).jpg.c0017de313dd03290d373c45702147a0.jpg

image000000(65).jpg.09aa4982583749bfdc6b1b3a804a7e23.jpg

Of course we have a curious resident (meet Cheeto the indoor/outdoor cat): 

image000000(63).jpg.f185253db81c813740e08e7807f648ba.jpg

The tank is beautifully constructed. Not easy to take any pics due to what is left of its crate- but the black silicone seams are perfect and straight (not what I'm used to with mass produced tanks!) and the metal frame (because we live in earthquake country) is very hardcore and sturdy. Intrepid partner also went with ultra clear glass AND their thickest option (which if I remember correctly is 5/8"!) - just check out that drilled hole for the plumbing (I know, hard to tell, but trust me it's very thick glass): 

image000000(66).jpg.aa12f4c384303cdf91072b63dcca7030.jpg

Intrepid Partner did the ordering/consulting with Custom Aquariums so he got things they "packaged" as a group. Lights, pumps, powerhead/wavemakers, some biomedia, UV sterilizer, auto-feeder (Enheim), heater (Enheim, which eventually I'll replace with heaters I prefer), fish net, wand scraper, Mag Float scraper. This is all besides the parts that come with the tank and sump. Funnily they included in one of those packages the most ridiculous plastic plants that would be absolutely dwarfed in a tank this size: 

image000000(67).jpg.5905eb4db11a34ee05341dcef5342406.jpg

Probably no bigger than 12" tall. It was laughable. I was amused. Hopefully those are just a cheesy "free gift with purchase". 

Overall so far a very good experience with the company (per Intrepid Partner's dealings) and the process overall. Everything seems very high quality. 

Intrepid Partner will be starting the steel tubing build on the stand and we have yet to decide what the skin of the stand will look like- but we'll figure it out and update over time here! 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
Typos suck.
  • Like 5
  • Love 4

Congratulations!  Looks fantastic!  Plus those bonus plants, yummy!  🤣 At least they’re the good ceramic base ones.  😂 Better for resale.  🤣 🤣 🤣 So funny they included that with such a high end tank package purchase.  I wonder if they were chuckling to themselves when they plopped that in there.

I can’t wait to see how things develop and what you do with this new venture!

• Haha 1

On 12/28/2023 at 10:55 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

@govsfabshop haven't decided entirely yet, mostly we have decided not to, just out of concern of the caves being more difficult to clean if the power heads push detrius into them. However straight ones are still being considered in my head. 

You could use a large, shallow, flower pot, cut or knock out most of the bottom, and glue on rocks to the sides.  It’s not hard at all to cut or break slate and you could make a cave using a pot as a base or just use slate stacked and glued up together to make the cave.  You could just lift it out to clean since it could sit on top of the substrate.  Hmmm.  I did get some thick slate tiles a while back and haven’t decided what I was going to do with them yet.  I was thinking about cutting and gluing them into pleco condos but I might have to try this instead.  They’re a bit thick to do pleco condos with, but might be very cool to do this.  🤔 

• Like 2

On 12/28/2023 at 11:55 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

haven't decided entirely yet, mostly we have decided not to, just out of concern of the caves being more difficult to clean

If interested, I made some caves. Here is the link: Tiger Barbs on Strike! They demand a cave!

My current project is 75 gallon Mbuna tank which will have ~24 caves (I call them condos). I made the condos from 4" thin wall PVC shown below. This condo is 4.5" wide, 2 3/4" tall. 

IMG_0231.jpg.d1ba9ca1ea4881308d5ff4701f27c817.jpg

So I cut a small piece of pipe and put it in the oven at 210 degrees. I made a form using 2x4".  So heat up the PC, slide it over the form and press down. 

To make one with a back on it, you could cut a 8" piece of pipe and make the form 4" long ie: 1/2 the length of the pipe. Just push the back of the pipe together while it is hot. 

Note: if you want a bunch of caves on the bottom of the tank, I would think about connect a piece of pipe to the back of the condo and connect it to the water return line from the sump. 

FYI, this is the form I made, the round edges are optional.

form.jpg.925fb75066b588ce04bc5cc0e14b03eb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 2

One more on cave structures. I see alot of tanks where people strategically stack up large rocks to make small caves. This is alot of rocks and finding the right combo of rocks which fit together  can be frustrating. For my Mbuna tank, I will glue together a bunch of PVC condo and just use large rocks as a facade as shown below (work in progress).

IMG_0225.jpg.c3ddc60aa75cc171de173b5436b2d49e.jpg

This rock wall will use foam between the rocks but for something more simple which just sit on the bottom of the tank may not require foam. To clean the condo, just remove the rock facade and stick a siphon hose in the condo. 

Edited by madmark285
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/26/2024 at 5:40 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

And so the stand building begins.... 

image000000(106).jpg

Oh, wow. Look at the fender skirt on that car back there. I guess that is Intrepid's work. And I hope it's your car. What is it?