Critter Corner...but Not in a Good Way!

Alesha

4 minutes ago, tolstoy21 said:

That's going to haunt my dreams tonight, and not in a good way.

I know, right??? It looked like a giant ant in the tank until I zoomed in on it and saw that pulsing...tail? head? I don't even know! (shudder!)

3 minutes ago, Aubrey said:

Looks like the common skimmer or the darner.

You could be right. #42 looks about right, although mine's a lot smaller still. 

Next question:  what do I do with it??? Take it out? Leave it? Nuke the tank??? 

Btw, this is my 5 gallon quarantine tank. It's been fishless for about 3 weeks, but just last night I added 12 new white clouds and a mystery snail. I've not added med trio yet...had planned to do that today.

If you are able to catch it, I would remove it. Aquatic nymphs can cause some issues. Just keep an eye out for more of them. No need to nuke the tank though. Since it's just a quarantine tank, just remove them. Yours looks a lot like the little monster that wiped out a good portion of my shrimp colony awhile back.  After I was able to catch it, I found 3 more.

20200105_121049.jpg.e2985220516bc79cf7b4a00d63ddecbf.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Aubrey said:

A water scorpion?

Yes! Also known as a water walking stick. I caught him (or her) in the Daphnia net one day. I have had him for about 6 weeks. I think it is time to take him back to where I caught him and let him go.

3 hours ago, Hobbit said:

Aaaah! Gross!!! So how do these things get in our tanks??? 

lots of plant farms grow their plants outdoors where the adults lay their eggs on them. the eggs then hatch out in your aquarium. ive stopped ordering from 2 different plant suppliers bc they would constantly bring in unwanted critters. once i had a big clump of java moss that was teeming with crane fly nymphs i couldn’t salvage and ended up tossing. im very careful who i get my plants from now. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1