Whats your favorite filter?

Trick question, no fair!!!

If you’ve used enough filters to be able to choose one that you like most, you’ve had enough tanks to know that there can’t be a single answer. Different tanks/situations call for different filter solutions. 

That being said, in the basement fish room, it’s Hydro sponge filters all day every day. If there is a lot of detritus, I add a second sponge with a power head.

If noise is a concern, I like the Tidals. If Tidal is too big, AC20. 

• Like 1

On 2/11/2023 at 10:42 PM, TOtrees said:

Trick question, no fair!!!

If you’ve used enough filters to be able to choose one that you like most, you’ve had enough tanks to know that there can’t be a single answer. Different tanks/situations call for different filter solutions. 

Interesting.

On 2/11/2023 at 10:42 PM, TOtrees said:

If noise is a concern, I like the Tidals. If Tidal is too big, AC20. 

Interesting, hm...  You're talking AC20 vs. a Tidal 35 or?  I would pretty much limit the tidal series to the 55 or larger.  AC I think they are all pretty similar except the 110 is a very, very different beast in some respects.

On 2/11/2023 at 9:40 PM, Jacob Hill-Legion Aquatics said:

whats your favorite filter and If you had to pick one filter that you had to use on every tank you ever set up what would it be?

Honestly.  NONE of them are my favorite.

I like the pump, mounting of the pump on the tidals. I like the flow adjustment on the tidal and I like the output path on the tidal.  I don't like pretty much anything else about the tidal.  I don't like ACs pretty much at all apart from.... it's a rectangle for media and the sponge is good.  I don't like the aqueon's size because it's hard to mod.  I don't like the way that the pump is mounted, but I like everything else about it.  Even the little blinking LED indicator is pretty snazzy.  Marineland is probably the closest to "good enough" for me and I do like their spa style filters with the circular cartridges.  Tetra I don't like. top fin nope. Fluval NOPE. 

No filter out of the box, I actually think is good enough. 

This goes to just about every filter from anyone. Sponges, canisters, etc.  I think almost everything has it's quirks and it's issues.  Price aside, replacing media aside. I would like to try out the fluval x07 series, the Tidal 110, and the marineland internal.

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Like 1

@TheSwissAquarist you've used an ACO sponge filter? I thought they weren't available in europe.

but on topic:

I agree with @nabokovfan87 on the pros of the Tidal fiters. I dislike that the 35 has no intake tube, so guarding the intake is slightly more complicated.

i like the ACO sponge filter, but it doesnt provide find filtration so i have it paired with a tidal 35.

I do want to try the Aqueon HOBs. I saw the Prime Time Aquatics video on them, and it might be the solution i need. I would have to mod it by adding my own flow control (Probably adding a Ball Valve to the intake tube) but there is no perfect filter.

I will say this about UG filters. My grandfather has a 10gallon guppy tank thats been going for DECADES. All he does is feed, and occasionally change water. That tank has a UG filter, and it uses 4in of gravel. I think keeping a tank that long (No live plants) and that well with that filter gives it some credibility.

Edited by Theplatymaster
  • Like 1

I love used ACO sponge filters, these odd sponge/media filters (that operate like a sponge filter), aquaclears, aquaponics and Fluval 407s.

I personally prefer the 407. I like how easy they are to maintain and customize. Such as I devoted some of the space to crushed coral to supplement my KH. 
The aquaclears are ok. They don’t like to restart after being unplugged during maintenance. But they don’t have any weird dividers or anything that prohibits media alterations. 
Aquaponics is its own thing. It’s a type of filtration but not applicable to your average hobbyist. 
My favorite sponge filters are definitely the ACO. The other weird ones I found on Amazon- yeah, they are meh. 

Overall, I’d agree with the statement from @nabokovfan87 that no filter is perfect out of the box. I’ve optimized everything. I’ve swapped media types (such as I don’t run the charcoal or phosphate pads that come with the 407). I’ve added pre-filter sponges to all intakes. It definitely improves them. 

• Like 1

Aquarium Co-op sponge filter has worked very well for me - Sturdy and clean design.

I also have two Tidal-55 HOBs, on a 20 long and a 40 breeder.  Went with them rather than Aquaclears because they're self-priming so will restart if electricity goes off and on again when no one is home.  Both have worked like a charm, and one has been running for two years.  They're quiet, and sturdier than the Aquaclears.  Only thing I don't like is that the components fit together so tightly it's a tussle to get them apart for cleaning.  But once you have them apart the cleaning is easy and they're a snap to put back together.

If any Tidal users out there have tips for taking them apart, would be much appreciated!

• Like 1

On 2/12/2023 at 8:45 AM, Mary W. said:

If any Tidal users out there have tips for taking them apart, would be much appreciated!

There is a link in my signature. Post there for pretty much any question or issue with those ones or feel free to shoot me a message.

On 2/12/2023 at 8:45 AM, Mary W. said:

Only thing I don't like is that the components fit together so tightly it's a tussle to get them apart for cleaning.

The pump housing has little indications. You push one in, then the clip releases and you can easily slide it off. 

• Like 1

Why do my AC's always restart on their own? It doesn't matter if I unplug them for service or starve them by dropping the tank water level below the intake while running. They always restart on their own when turned on or water level is raised. I must be doing something wrong. Hahaha

Oh, and since 4 out of 6 of my tanks have UG filters (often, but not always along with a HOB) I vote them as my favorite.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2023 at 6:42 AM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

Sumps.  Flexible platform.  Customizable.  Highly effective.  Hides all of your equipment.

So can a canister if you do it right.

I have nothing besides inlet and outlet pipes in my big tank. Everything else is plumbed in-line from the FX6 and FX4. CO2 reactor, UV, heater, dosing pump all in the cabinet.

Edited by AndEEss
  • Like 1

On 2/12/2023 at 12:09 PM, MattyM said:

Never had a canister, but for my 20s I like pairing an AC30 or AC50 with a sponger filter. Sponge, polyfil, biomedia and purigen in the ACs. Working great. Once the ACs get broken in they are silent. 

yeah i like having a hob with a sponge filter

On 2/12/2023 at 7:21 PM, Sweet Fish O Mine said:

Why do my AC's always restart on their own? It doesn't matter if I unplug them for service or starve them by dropping the tank water level below the intake while running. They always restart on their own when turned on or water level is raised. I must be doing something wrong. Hahaha

Oh, and since 4 out of 6 of my tanks have UG filters (often, but not always along with a HOB) I vote them as my favorite.

yeah i don't ever have problems with my ac restarting

On 2/13/2023 at 12:41 AM, Jacob Hill-Legion Aquatics said:

yeah i like having a hob with a sponge filter

yeah i don't ever have problems with my ac restarting

Mine restarted too.  I didn't know that was a thing.

On 2/13/2023 at 12:13 AM, AndEEss said:

So can a canister if you do it right.

I have nothing besides inlet and outlet pipes in my big tank. Everything else is plumbed in-line from the FX6 and FX4. CO2 reactor, UV, heater, dosing pump all in the cabinet.

Same here.  Plus a bubble stone.  I only want to see fish and 'scape in my tanks.

Wow!  Going to show my hobbyist age here.  Probably my favorite is the old undergravel filter.  It works plain and simple. If I carried a higher bio-load I would use powerheads and sometimes put reverse-flow-kits on them with prefilter sponges on them and a small HOB to clean up the water column.  

• Like 1

On 2/12/2023 at 6:57 AM, Guppysnail said:

Fluval 407 canister. It adjusts flow low enough for a 10g and is powerful enough to operate larger tanks. Super easy to maintain and does a fabulous job. Easily customizable. I use different sizes on different tanks but if I’m limited to only 1 I’m going 407. 

I second the fluval 07 series. All of them are super idiot-proof (like myself with my fx6 haha), easy to maintain, and customizable. 

• Like 1