The Great Tetra Debate

NanotankBank

How dare you make the competition between neons and cardinals when the title is The great tetra debate!😢

If I had  to choose a neon variety; 

On 2/6/2023 at 11:27 PM, Pepere said:

Green Neon Tetras

+1 to this one.

But I am personally not a fan of neon/cardinal tetra look in general I guess. I've never liked the mixture of blue,red and white. So I like the more green/blue vibe green neons give instead. I would prefer Kongo tetras over them all any day, if tank size ain't playing any role on the decision :').

Edited by Lennie
  • Like 1

On 2/6/2023 at 2:52 PM, Lennie said:

How dare you make the competition between neons and cardinals when the title is The great tetra debate!😢

If I had  to choose a neon variety; 

+1 to this one.

But I am personally not a fan of neon/cardinal tetra look in general I guess. I've never liked the mixture of blue,red and white. So I like the more green/blue vibe green neons give instead. I would prefer Kongo tetras over them all any day, if tank size ain't playing any role on the decision :').

I thought I’d spice things up. But if it was an any species tetra debate. This would go on for millennia 😂

• Haha 1

I have some of what I purchased as regular neons at a local store but which appear to be "jumbo" neon tetras, and I have normal green neons (from Aquahuna). I like them both and in my tank they behave alike. But my favorite tetra is the diamond tetra, which I have not (yet!) kept.

I'm surprised how big  neons seem to me. I can remember back in the days when I only kept goldfish, my friend's neons seemed like the tiniest most fragile fish. My neons are much larger than some of my Endlers and guppies so they seem huge and sturdy as can be. Not sure if the species has just gotten much larger in the past 20 years or whether my eyes have shrunk!

On 2/6/2023 at 12:04 PM, NanotankBank said:

Let’s debate on which is better and why!

Honestly my choice is barbs.

I dig green neons because it's green, but I generally prefer the behavior of barbs.

If you want me to pick between the two, id say cardinals. My first choice would be silvertip tetras just because I've never kept them and the behavior seems fun.

I guess my reason for that is because I'm so concerned about how fragile some tetras (or rasbora) have been and I know deep down it's unfair because I only have ever had big box stores with poor care available.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2023 at 12:19 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

My first choice would be silvertip tetras just because I've never kept them and the behavior seems fun.

They really look super active and fun! My lfs recently started to carry them and even watching them was so much fun in the store

I personally dont like their colors, even tho I normally love yellow-orange tones, but I loved their behavior.

Candy cane tetras!  They are overlooked a little, but a lovely peaceful species that have  a pretty pink, white and black color scheme.  They are also very extremely peaceful and get to a nice medium tetra size.

My candy canes happily get along with my lemon tetras and black neon tetras, and all three get along swimmingly.

Edited by Averus
  • Like 1

On 2/7/2023 at 6:53 AM, Lennie said:

I personally dont like their colors, even tho I normally love yellow-orange tones, but I loved their behavior.

The luminescent aspect of the pattern on the tail is fun. Imagine that on some Odessa or tiger barbs! It's a fun little fish I think. Not green or a crazy vibrant color, but much like Bolivian rams I do think that some species have really nice subtle detail that can be admired. Even if it's yellow. 🙂

• Like 1

On 2/7/2023 at 10:05 AM, Averus said:

Candy cane tetras!  They are overlooked a little, but a lovely peaceful species that have  a pretty pink, white and black color scheme.  They are also very extremely peaceful and get to a nice medium tetra size.

My candy canes happily get live with my lemon tetras and black neon tetras, and all three get along swimmingly.

I can second CC tetras! I have around 16 in a 29gal, awesome schooling behavior and aren't picky eaters! IMO they don't have the "derp/shy" behavior some other nano fish can display and readily approach the tank when you walk by thinking they'll get fed.