Aquarium Backgrounds

Xr4tiCrew

Hoping to setup my new 20g long this weekend and am on the fence on what to do about a background. On my 10g I just used a plain black background that I picked up from one of the big box stores. Looking through some pictures here on this form and see the majority of tanks do not have one.  Looking for some suggestions.

I tend to roll black acrylic paint onto mine - holds up well to water, easy to touch up and scrapes off easily with a razor blade. Have been pondering other options tho - I just like hiding the wall my tanks are against and any equipment/wires/etc. 

My first tank returning to the hobby was out of a Fluval kit....it had a white painted background. Its hard to keep clean and makes the tank super bright. For an show quality aquascape it may be nice but I'm not a fan for my purposes.  Maybe that helps you eliminate an option an narrow your choices 🙂 

• Like 1

On 1/19/2023 at 9:38 AM, Levi_Aquatics said:

I have a black background like you are describing on all of my aquariums and I really like them!

Im a fan of the black as well. I use an oil based rustoleum flat black (I just use disposable roller to avoid oil base clean up). the rustoleum was existing in my garage and happened to work well so Ive never tried anything different

It hides filters, heaters, and black airline really well. 

Id love to try an insert if I could find a cost effective option that had good reviews. 

Edited by PlaneFishGuy
  • Like 1

On 1/19/2023 at 10:58 AM, PlaneFishGuy said:

Id love to try an insert if I could find a cost effective option that had good reviews. 

Same here! I’ve always liked the look and depth provided by a 3d background, but I can’t justify the price considering I can get a black one for next to nothing. 

• Like 1

On 1/19/2023 at 12:27 PM, JettsPapa said:

Most of mine have black poster board.  When I first started keeping fish I used plain brown craft paper.  It looks better than you'd think, but of course if it gets wet it needs replacing pretty soon.  I still have it on a couple of the older tanks.

I use black foam board. I tried painting my tank, but it peeled. Besides, it’s easy to change out if I want a different color

I use none on my 29g and black on my new 33g. I'm still think of removing it, as my wall behind it gives the frosted look already. I will keep it on for now.

I would say, black helps to cover the stuff visually in case you use a dark colored HOB with a black prefilter sponge for example. And also help with the lenght look.

If your tank has black frames, or black/dark silicones for example,  black background will go well with the look generally. Meanwhile you will hardly have the depth look with a frosted background in such tank and it may not look pleasing.

I would advice checking MD Fish tank's videos on youtube. He has plenty of aquariums that he uses different type of background, probably except blue. If you wanna get an idea for black, frosted or bare backgrounds for tanks that are similar to yours, it may give you an opinion! 

Also black backgrounds help to cover algae look, if I'm not wrong.

Also the type of scape you wanna follow may also affect your choice! 

Black does pop plants and colorful fish. Frosted gives a nice depth. However, If you are planning to keep black or dark colored fish or shrimp for example, A black background may not be the best choice. 

But make sure to take your frames and silicone colors etc into account while making the choice. They do affect the look of the tank, at least imo.

Cheers,

Edited by Lennie
  • Like 1

I used a frosted white window cling film from Amazon. I like it but don't love it. In my case, though, it's because the wall behind it is painted navy blue, so it sort of darkens the film, dark enough to sort of dull things but not dark enough to make anything pop. Knowing what I know now, I would have used a black cling film.

That said, maybe I can find a cheap LED strip line and shine it up onto the cling film from the back...

I've gone with static cling window film.  Have both black and blue.  They make all sorts of variety.  For discus it's blue to help prevent them from peppering.  But I like black for pretty much everything else.  Though I'm thinking of trying blue on a planted tank.  It peels right off and can be reused.  Less of a pain then painting IME.

image.jpeg.972d92bce8eb32061075fae33c9b475d.jpeg

20221220_190454.jpg.58fba0003f4a7bfc3879ea2430324d40.jpg

• Love 1

On 1/19/2023 at 12:05 PM, Lennie said:

Here is the video part that may help with what I've been mentioning above. I marked the relevant part for you.

Hope it helps,

I also got one of these, but wasted money and effort on one because it was rolled the wrong way so it didn't properly attach. Make sure when you buy one the rough, non stick side is facing outside in the roll

As some others have said, I also really like black. Looks great with the green plants, wood, rocks. etc., and I like not seeing anything behind the tank. I use Rustoleum flat black spray, really easy. I have used poster board, but I use canister filters and don't like it getting in the way, so I prefer it painted. 

On 1/19/2023 at 9:57 PM, Gannon said:

I also got one of these, but wasted money and effort on one because it was rolled the wrong way so it didn't properly attach. Make sure when you buy one the rough, non stick side is facing outside in the roll

That's a good suggestion to keep in mind!

I only sent the video for the part where he examples the scenarios of black/frosted backgrounds and what suits better in which situation. But it is still good to know. 🙂

My warning could be, I've experienced that some soapy water mixtures damage the background. Mine damaged the color black a bit but I felt too lazy to go get a new one, and it does not seem obvious. Next time, I would spray and test on a small piece I won't be using and if I see no reaction, then I would move forward.

Edited by Lennie
  • Like 1

On 1/19/2023 at 5:29 PM, Up North said:

I painted a couple tanks with the same paint that I used for the walls of the room the aquarium is in. Gives it a look of no background but hids the cords and filter. 

Anyone know why when I add a picture it always puts it sideways? 

20211115_204528.jpg

Try adjusting the size of your pic a little then upload. It tends to fix that issue 

• Thanks 1

I put up black poster board on my 10 gallon tank.  It's gonna be a betta tank and I didn't want to get something reflective, which I heard a bunch of the backgrounds that you can pick up in stores tend to do.

While I was at Joann Fabrics getting the black poster board, I found a cool wood textured poster board that I put on the back end of my 20 gallon hex tank.  It's really subtle, but looks cool!

20230119_180604.jpg.32feedb820bb68fba9bb8fea24c65c90.jpg

• Like 1

I’m a big proponent for the DIY 3D backgrounds. I made mine from styrofoam insulation board painted with drylok colored with acrylic paint. It was like $20 for a 4’ x 8’ board that is 2” thick and it gave me enough material to do a lot of tanks. That brewing said I think the simple black background always looks really good.

FE81DA0F-DC7D-4B43-A2C6-47620D7EF82B.jpeg

• Like 1