Question about EZ Root Tabs

I was reading the reviews for the EZ Root Tabs, and noticed that some reviews mentioned having a problem keeping them in place under the substrate because they float to the surface.   I’m curious, how much of a problem is that, really?  And, how do you manage to keep them from floating?   Thought I’d ask before I spring for a large container of them and possibly spare myself the frustration.

On 1/9/2023 at 11:51 AM, Tactical Error said:

I was reading the reviews for the EZ Root Tabs, and noticed that some reviews mentioned having a problem keeping them in place under the substrate because they float to the surface.   I’m curious, how much of a problem is that, really?  And, how do you manage to keep them from floating?   Thought I’d ask before I spring for a large container of them and possibly spare myself the frustration.

I almost find this to be a feature. If they aren't buried very well, they will float to the surface. As long as you push them to the bottom of the substrate with planting tweezers they stay put. At least that is my experience planting in seachem fluorite and caribsea moonlight sand. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The floating issue impacts me. They have a combo of being slippery and buoyant. It is hard for me to keep them gripped in the planting tweezers, so I have to use my finger to jam them into the substrate. I've heard people say that poking a hole in the tab can help keep them from floating, but I have yet to try. 

It can be a moderate pain in the rump, but it's not like threading a rope through a needle.  You'll be able to overcome it.  I have been poking holes (just put a push pin in the jar with the root tabs), but I'm not sure if it helps much.  I pre-poke the ones I'm putting in so I can place them back-to-back.  In deeper tanks it's more difficult just because I don't have as much reach.  I was at a fish swap yesterday and there was a guy selling like three feet long giant tweezers and I thought maybe they'd be good for the task.  😄

• Haha 1

I used a thumb tack to poke a hole in them to let air out. With tweezers they can be a little tricky if they get wet and you have to manipulate them a couple of times. This may be true with any gelatin capsule in water. But I figured it out and I'm getting better at it. I shove them to the bottom of the substrate under my root feeders either with my fingers or tweezers.

Edited by Birdsnstuff
spelling
  • Like 1

I always poke a hole now, even with gravel if I don't get them way down they will float up sometimes - it may take hours but it happens. In my sand tank I always poke a hole. Then with the tweezers I squeeze the air out when I have them down where I want them. 

• Like 1

On 1/9/2023 at 1:54 PM, Birdsnstuff said:

I used a thumb tack to poke a hole in them to let air out. With tweezers they can be a little tricky if they get wet and you have to manipulate them a couple of times. They may be true with any gelatin capsule in water. But I figured it out and I'm getting better at it. I shove them to the bottom of the substrate under my root feeders either with my fingers or tweezers.

I do the same.  

On 1/9/2023 at 2:51 PM, Tactical Error said:

how much of a problem is that, really

When I first started using them it was disastrous...I had tabs floating everywhere. Then I read about poking a hole and squeezing the air out and I was pretty successful at that. I imagine getting them to stay down can be more challenging given the type of substrate you have. I think I have the knack of it down, it's more of the action of the tweezers for me, releasing them slowly to allow the substrate to settle down on top. 

I'm trying out root tabs for the first time in my 10 gallon.  Didn't know about poking a hole, but I simply pushed them to the bottom of the tank and made sure to push gravel over them.  That seemed to work, even after pouring water into the tank afterwards.  I'll have to try out that poking trick when I replace them.  Hopefully I get the knack of using tweezers.  I've tried using them to add stuff into my 20 gallon and they never stay in place.

I use plant tweezers and put them in at an angle. If I lose my grip on them before I get them firmly in the substrate they pop to the top of the tank, but I actually prefer that to having to fish one off the bottom of my 75. I've never had one come out of the substrate.

I usually put root tabs in sideways using the tip of my tweezers and make sure my tweezers are fully open, or close to, before gently pulling them out of the sand. The sand fills in the spot over the tab and between the tweezer prongs and weighs the tab down, and I don't accidentally pull the tab back up removing the tweezers anymore . I rarely have one float up unless I get in a hurry.

I use a long pair of hemostats to grab them and drive them to the bottom of the gravel. The only floating I’ve had is if they escape from me before I’ve gotten them in place (slippery hands). Otherwise, I don’t have to poke holes and I don’t have them come floating back out. They’ve been very easy for me to use.

After having ongoing issues with the tabs wanting to float, I've found a solution that works for me. As has been suggested poking a pin hole in the end of the tab helps, but I also "squeeze" the tab while placing it in the substrate. Been doing it this way for the past few months and it's 99% effective. If I'm not mistaken, it's the air in the tab that causes the tabs to float so squeezing the air out is what helps. As I said .... this works for me. 

• Like 1

Has anyone had an issue with Corys digging them out of the substrate? I had the same issue with them floating so I did the pin prick trick on both ends so they filled with water quickly and no longer floated. After setting them in the substrate I would come back to see them dug up. So I stayed and watched next time and found the Cory cats digging them up and trying to eat the gel capsules. So weird and I wonder if anyone else has seen something similar?

I haven't had them dig them up, but sometimes the gel cap swells up and gets to the top.  All the fish seem to want to eat it.  I haven't seen any of them die afterwards, so I think it's OK.  

On 1/9/2023 at 8:35 PM, Tactical Error said:

I can only imagine how unwieldy three foot long tweezers would be!!!    😂

They looked like something Gallagher would use in a comedy show.  Maybe that's exactly what they were - props.  But I didn't stop to ask, they looked like they weighed six pounds. haha

• Haha 1

On 1/16/2023 at 6:44 AM, Tactical Error said:

Well, since the lfs is selling root tabs for $1 each, (yep, one dollar a piece!) I’m taking the plunge on EZ Root Tabs, and having a thumb tack at the ready!

I’m generally a fan of all the Aquarium Co-op products and I do like the root tabs, but for my budget these Aquario tabs are a good option. 
Aquario NEO Plants Tab Planted Aquarium Fertilizer (Potassium (K)) https://a.co/d/8mPYPtn

81832C37-C366-4A7A-8251-E4DCF7D2E5D3.jpeg.0a391ce4a1ab76c0a09f94fd0b3233bf.jpeg