fish with personalities

Theplatymaster

On 11/22/2022 at 1:25 PM, Theplatymaster said:

Which fish do you think have the best personalities? Im looking for one or two for my tank.

German Blue Rams. They have quirky personalities, are super active, and meet at the top of the tank whenever I walk up hoping to snag a treat. They can be difficult to keep in smaller aquariums due to their need for consistency in water parameters.  I'd imagine Bolivian Rams would have similar personalities and be a little easier to keep.

Pearl Gouramis also have good personalities if you get a small group.

In my (limited compared to many) experience, the key to seeing a fish's personality is to keep it in a group. this way you can see them sort out territory and access to females. If you just have a singular fish or a pair then you miss out on a lot of their natural behaviors.

Edited by NOLANANO
added more

On 11/22/2022 at 2:35 PM, NOLANANO said:

German Blue Rams. They have quirky personalities, are super active, and meet at the top of the tank whenever I walk up hoping to snag a treat. They can be difficult to keep in smaller aquariums due to their need for consistency in water parameters.  I'd imagine Bolivian Rams would have similar personalities and be a little easier to keep.

Pearl Gouramis also have good personalities if you get a small group.

In my (limited compared to many) experience, the key to seeing a fish's personality is to keep it in a group. this way you can see them sort out territory and access to females. If you just have a singular fish or a pair then you miss out on a lot of their natural behaviors.

i agree with the group theory. I really like platies because of their Social Interactions, you only get that behavior in groups.

I want a bolivian ram, but i dont think it would get along with my betta. Darn tank limit (1)

My German blue rams have personality like no other. They learn fast and if I’m doing something that produces no yummies they act like My hands are not even in the tank. They learned the first try to eat white worms from my fingers. Now my fingers are thoroughly inspected on every tank entrance. They know if I move the food dish to clean it baby shrimp and baby bladder snails are under it. They are completely fearless. It’s like having an underwater puppy dog. They are amazing. 

• Love 2

I’d say all of them! 

But yeah cichlids and gouramis do interact with their handlers more so they are a good choice!

Even my white clouds have loads of personality. You would think a schooling fish would just school but nope! I have 1 loaner that thinks she is a trout and hangs out with them. While my group of 5 follows me around the tank begging for food. Even right after eating. They’ll even pretend to pick at stuff like they are using reverse psychology on me or something. My roundabout way of saying you can’t go wrong.

• Love 1

I'm not sure if its species or personality. I have a red honey gourami that is always watching me and observing everything i do with the aquarium. At feeding time, she will even come and "kiss a finger" 

It's my first of this species, so I don't know if they are all that way, or I just got lucky

On 11/22/2022 at 3:39 PM, Guppysnail said:

My German blue rams have personality like no other. They learn fast and if I’m doing something that produces no yummies they act like My hands are not even in the tank. They learned the first try to eat white worms from my fingers. Now my fingers are thoroughly inspected on every tank entrance. They know if I move the food dish to clean it baby shrimp and baby bladder snails are under it. They are completely fearless. It’s like having an underwater puppy dog. They are amazing. 

I have only had my current group a few weeks but the other day I was trimming Moss and catching it with my net and the little buggers wouldn't stop swimming IN THE NET to see what I was scooping! Show me another fish that gets comfortable enough with its owner to literally net itself.

• Love 1

In my experience most (many?) of the larger cichild have better or at least stronger personalities than the dwarf cichild. Of the dwarf cichild i have owned my nannacara amolae has displayed some truly unique and interesting behavior - much stronger and more interesting than gbr, borelli, cockatoo, hongsloi, Laetacara, ... however i have found my adult angels develop rather strong personalities - well the males - the females tend to be indifferent meanies. 

My understanding from follow various threads the larger cichild (oscar, uaru, chocolate, ....) have much stronger personalities but my aquairums have always been too small for them - and when i do setup a 550 i will put in a gazzillion little fishes instead of one large fish 😉

They all have their moments.

I think Red Tail Tinfoil Barbs have the best personalities and seem to actually function as a social group.  For the smaller fish I think that the SAEs are underrated.  They interact well with all of the fish and are just fun to watch.  Two are ok, but four or five are better.  

On 11/22/2022 at 11:25 AM, Theplatymaster said:

Which fish do you think have the best personalities? Im looking for one or two for my tank.

Honey gourami are amazing! Mine is so sweet and always coming close to the glass to see me. They are super graceful and the long "feelers" are really neat.

20221019_215019.jpg