On 1/3/2023 at 12:41 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Hence I just keep egg-laying snails.  I'd probably be ok w/ a rabbit snail.  They only produce a baby about once a month.  I think they look cool but supposedly they eat java fern, and I quite like my java ferns.

Yes I never realized just how bad they can get. It's a mistake I won't make again. I think I have a pretty good handle on them now. But I will always set veggie traps to get them whenever I can. And I'm sure the trio of assassin's (ninja snails) should take care of some as well.

• Like 1

On 1/7/2023 at 9:22 AM, TeeJay said:

When you make the snello. The frozen bloodworms. Do you chop them down a bit before you add them to the mixture or just thaw and add? @Chick-In-Of-TheSea

Nope. I just thaw, then I put in the Snello. 

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
Edit: easier to do without tank water. No draining required :)

• 2 weeks later...

I think I got the Bacterial bloom under control and knocked out in the shrimp sanctuary tank now. Water is pretty "crystal" clear. I switched out the disk air stone for a bit smaller one and it's going to stay as a permanent feature in the tank. The love to play in the bubbles and I like the way it looks. Tonight for dinner is a nature's nutrition grazing wafer. Didn't mean for it to get so close to the bubbles but they don't care lol

IMG_20230115_184215570.jpg

IMG_20230115_184223076.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Well it appears that my emersed plants have really started to suck up a lot of nutrients in the killi tank. I put in 3ml of easy green 2 days ago and now it's basically at zero. I'm not complaining just explaining 🤣

There roots have made it down to the substrate and are starting to do a lot better. Time to get out the tank notebook and start keeping track of ferts again. I didn't need to for so long because the 3ml a week kept a nice balance. It's water change day tomorrow so my plan is to bump up to 3.5 ml and see where that puts me. If that's not enough the plan is to increase .5ml at a time to get back to where I want it to be 

• Like 3

Good morning fellow nerms. How about a little coffee with TeeJay. Checking in on the Cory tank this morning. The crypt spirals I planted back a few months ago have adjusted really well. Have gotten pretty tall too! The small crypts in the front are doing ok as well. I see a growth spurt coming in there future. I have a couple of new Anubias plants coming in today. One for the shrimp tank and a coffefolia for the 29 gal. I just really needed root tabs to due me until the big tax order but I couldn't get just those ha! Ps don't mind the dirty glass I was lazy 🤣

IMG_20230118_074407508.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

The new Anubias coffefolia came in today with the gold coin for the shrimp tank. I put them thru rr and got them in there tanks. As well I made some air line rings and put them through the vine plant holders I have on my wall for them. This way they have room to grow without the wall clips binding them. That's to P.I.C. @Guppysnail for the tip.

IMG_20230118_174550609.jpg

IMG_20230115_175126991.jpg

IMG_20230115_174901654.jpg

IMG_20230115_174856738.jpg

IMG_20230115_095636509.jpg

IMG_20230102_165753523.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 3

This is going to be a few months premature but I figured I mite as well get the new journal started. Since the mystery snail clutch was a success it's time to get the next adventure started 

If you follow along with me least killifish journal you will know I have a pair of lemon bristlenose plecos in there tank. Mr Lemony snicket's and miss Luna. Lemony is not to far off from breeding age I believe. Miss Luna is a bit younger. So I don't believe we will be "activity" breeding for a couple of more months. My pair came from my P.I.C @Guppysnail. She would know the ages maybe a little better than me. I'm just to lazy to go back thru the killifish journal to see when I actually got them. Both at different times.

Ever since I got lemony I have wanted to try my hand at breeding them. So I'm thinking they will stay in the 29 lay there eggs here hatch out then they can be moved to there grow out tank shortly after. 

I was going to go with a 20 long for this tank but when my last few snails went to there forever homes I acquired a 20 tall for free. So when it's free you can't say no .

the plan is to have one large sponge filter in one corner and I have one of those corner style air driven filters with sponges and media in it for the other back corner. I always like to run two types of filtration on all of my tanks if possible. So I will add a hob as well. I prefer in tank pumps. I have a tidal 55 on the 29 killi tank but I want to try somerhing new. So I think for this tank I will go with the penguin pro 125.

the tank is just sitting on the floor for now until I leak rest it for a few weeks and make sure it's good. In the mean time I'll either get a stand or a rack so I can have that tank the shrimp sanctuary 10gal and the Cory 10 gal all on the same unit. Still debating on what I want to do. 

it will stay bare bottom and I'll get some Terri cotta pots and cut them in half for hides. And while I leak test the tank I'll throw any extra guppy grass an hornwort from the other tanks to have a nice amount for when the time comes. I still have 2 of the submersible hygger tank lights from the snail tote tank I will use for this project. I'll just suction cup them to the inside top of the glass lid. I may add an easy planter or two for a couple of potted plants. But if not the guppy grass and hornwort will do a good job. So here is to the next adventure! 🍻

IMG_20230119_184600062.jpg

IMG_20230119_182242119.jpg

IMG_20230119_181400047.jpg

Edited by TeeJay
  • Like 4
  • Love 2

So I found a solid wood side table at my local restore. Kinda like a good will but mostly for furniture. Only 15 bucks so it will work fine until I decide if I want to do a rack or not. Yeah the corner is a bit cluttered but I'll get over it. I sat on it and it didn't budge. I weigh 365lbs so I know it can handle a 20 gal tank. 

IMG_20230121_111855648.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/21/2023 at 12:07 PM, Levi_Aquatics said:

Very excited! and everything’s looking great!! I’ll enjoy seeing where this goes! Good luck!

Yes it's still a few months off. I still have to wait for my plecos to reach breeding maturity. But the tank was free and I just didn't want it sitting on the floor to get knocked into and cracked.. just filled it up to test for leaks. If it does good I figure I can just throw extra floating plants into it as they overgrow iny other tanks. Can be plant storage until the time comes for babies.

• Like 3

Good morning fellow nerms. Why don't we have the first edition of coffee with TeeJay in the new Pleco journal.

I was going back and forth for a few days on filtration for the grow out tank. Looking over all different types and styles.  But I think I have figured out the combo that I'm going to go with 

The main filtration will be the fluval 207 canister. This will be my first ever canister so I'm pretty excited about that. Tons of room for media and such. Yes a bit pricey but I figure better to go with the solid choice for my first time.

The secondary filtration I decided to go with the marineland penguin pro 125.  I'm excited to give this filter a try. I have tidals on the killi and Cory tanks but wanted to give something else a shot to see if I may like it better. I went with this because it does have the pump in the tank and plenty of modding capabilities.

And third round goes to sponge filter(s) I have not decided if I will use one or two large co op sponge filters. If I go with two I plan to double stack them.

I know some may be thinking over filtration much! But this is going to be a bare bottom tank most likely with lots of fine tiny foods at all times to keep enough for all of those tiny mouths that need it 24/7. So I'm going to need all of the help i can get 

So my thought is I'll put the canister uptake and sponge filter in the back left corner. The penguin and heater in the back center. Then the canister outfow in the back right corner. That should keep a nice tank flow and heat evenly distributed. Well it's about time for work so keep it fishy my friends!

• Like 2

So the grow out tank seems to be good with no leaks. So I drained it. Gave it a good clean out and refilled it. I have the double stacked large sponge filters in the corner. I just stuck whatever bits of wood I had around in there for more surface area for bb. 

I thinned out the guppy grass hornwort and floating pogos I had and ran them thru rr for 60 mins to get rid of any tag alongs from other tanks before I added them in. Put in 3ml of easy green and got the light going. 

I have a friend that will have a nice mixed bag of plants ready for me in a couple of weeks. They can go in here as a plant tank for now until it's baby time 

I may add a couple of the mystery snail runts to it just to help it get seasoned. I know I'll have at least a solid 3 months before I would be close to having babies. As well plenty of time to make sure I didn't have any tag a long ramshorns.i don't want them to get into here since they babies will need all the food they can get once it's time. I can move they mysteries once that time arises.  

IMG_20230124_135921420.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

It was water change day for the killi tank. The floating plants needed thinning out as well. So they got out into the pleco grow out tank. The Amazon sword really goes through some root tabs so I had to give it 3 more today. Such a hog 

No signs of melting in the coffefolia so far. Tomorrow makes a week since I put it in. Only time will tell but I hope it does well. I do ok with most Anubias except barteri. I have tried 3 different times and they just never make it 

As well I got a permanent area set up for the brine shrimp hatchery. Just a 3 stack of milk crates in the corner between the pleco grow out tank and shrimp sanctuary. Used some command strips and hooked a small clip in desk lamp for the light. Never faired well with the first eggs I tried so when the taxes come in and I get the new filters for the grow out tank I'll get some good eggs from the co op.

IMG_20230124_160732928.jpg

IMG_20230124_163021979.jpg

• Like 5